Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sanchez just a smoke screen to get ORAKPO?

haraldjun

Just thought of this: When Sanchez came to visit everyone knew he was coming a week before. They went out on the town paraded him around. I mean rolled out the red carpet. Now Orakpo comes in. I personally heard about it the day before he were to arrive. Didn't hear how it went. Did'n't hear where they went to eat. They kept it real close to their chest. Not saying this was a smokescreen but it makes you think that they kind of wanted the depth of their interest in Orakpo hidden or atleast down played..

BS. Every indication was that they threw everything but the kitchen sink(the 2010 #1) at them to try and move up to get Sanchez. But we also weren't willing to trade players either. They wanted Sanchez bad and everyone said they tried everything including trading close to their entire draft for him. It didn't work and they got lucky in the end by having Orakpo fall. If he wouldn't have fallen, this may have ended up as one of the worst drafts for the Skins in recent memory.

Bull ****..... knowing how far they had to move up, there was NO WAY they could move up to get Sanchez without including next years #1.... IF Snyder wanted him so bad he WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP THE 2010 #1.

If Snyder wants a player he will make every attempt to get him.... he offered next years #1 for Cutler, and this years #1 for Ocho Stincko.

Snyder said before the draft the Skins gave up next years #1 since he's owned them just once, for Jason Campbell and added "that worked out pretty well"

Zorn said they made a few token calls nothing serious for Sanchez

Getting Orakpo at #13 was lucky, that's why they tried to MOVE up to get him for over an hour on draft day.

he offered next years #1 for Cutler, and this years #1 for Ocho Stincko.

He actually offered a first AND another conditional first for Ocho Stincko.

Which may have been the height of Snyder's insanity.

Seriously, the only thing crazier was the Bungles turning Snyder down.

And thank God they did.

Zorn said they made a few token calls nothing serious for Sanchez

Yeah cause they would come out and say if they tried really hard and failed. ERRR! WRONG!. Every team is going to play it cool like whatever happened is exactly what they wanted. Wake up. They aren't going to make asses of themselves by admitting they tried really hard and failed and they aren't going to make Orakpo feel like crap by saying that if they did. You can't just go off of what the team says when every other source says we were trying our ass off. I'm not saying we tried EVERYTHING or we would have got him. Just that we wanted him WAY MORE than Orakpo.

You're giving too much credit to a FO who made those questionable picks in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. When the Skins pick came up and Rak and Oher were still there, I was worried they'd still pick the wrong guy.

The only teams our FO could outsmart are the Raiders, and fortunately, the Cowboys.

How does anyone know if they were questionable picks? Why shouldn't you give credit to the Front Office? I think it's obvious they liked Sanchez... So did a handful of other teams, but they weren't willing to pay the price the Jets paid to get Sanchez... Is it luck to like two players and instead of trading against yourself, you are negotiating in your favor so that both desirable outcomes are available to you? IMO, it wasn't merely fortuitous... It was also very good strategy and well executed. Nearly 10 other teams passed on Oher AFTER the Redskins did... We've acquired some free agents on the OL and could possibly acquire another in Free Agency...

Orakpo will be teamed with Haynesworth and has the potential to be a Pro Bowler in a few years... Oher might not have started, and may inevitably be more of a Guard than Tackle... He might be a good Professional for 10+ years, but he'll likely never be worthy of a Pro Bowl. With Orakpo on the board, all talks of trading down for any player (including Oher) should've ceased.

Anyway, I think you are underestimating our Front Office... They did well in the 1st round, and they acquired a lot of young, fast, agile talent at the other positions... I like how the linebackers are all fast and have positives in the areas of change of direction. The TE/HB might have been a questionable pick, but let's at least see what the guy has before we criticize the Front Office. Let's also see what Duke Robinson has... Which might be nothing.

i think its a little bit of both. As with all drafts there are smokescreens and luck. Like last year we wanted kelly but were "lucky" at the time to also get Thomas. I believe the front office did use the sanchez hype as a smokescreen to acquire a # of players. They probably didn't just have Orakapo on their wish list. My guess is they had 3 or 4 guys they were praying would fall to them. Orakapo, Maybin, A. Smith and T. Jackson. So by creating a buzz they hoped that 1 would fall to them. and one did. That said i believe thier plan was still a long shot prior to the draft. no one could have predicted Heyward Bey, and Knowshown moreno. but hey i'll take lucky over good everytime.

lucky, hence why we were so thrilled about it we put our pick in after 30 seconds.

Correct; and if Orakpo and Sanchez had been there at 13 they would have taken Sanchez. Make no mistake, our FO wanted Sanchez in this draft. If Snyder had been willing to give up next years number one, Mark Sanchez would be a Washington Redskin. The fact of the matter is except for next years number one, we had nothing that the Browns wanted. It also helped that Mangini got three players from the Jets that he is familiar with and presumably likes.

Having jersey with someone name proves everything. They are insanely expensive. You have to rob a bank to afford one. Add in the fact that Snyder is cheap, he just wouldn't have Top 20-30 players jersey there just in case. It's cheaper to send your personal jet and roll out the red carpet.

Archived