Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4 QBs are an advantage or a problem?

The Waterboy

You have a couple of reasons, some mentioned above. Doesn't wear out the qbs' arms and creates three different competitions, one for 1, one for 2 and one for 3.

That's not always the case.......We're not going to have a "competition" for the #1 slot.

It's Campbell's job to lose, as far as the coachings staff is concerned.

A few days ago, Zorn said that the Skins would have 4 QB for camp and they in fact signed UDFA Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel. Meanwhile, one of the talking head ESPN analysis mentioned the Browns with 3 QBs as being a potential disaster. What advantage do the Skins get with 4 QBs in camp when 3 QBs in camp is a problem with another team?

There is an old football adage, if you have two QBs you don't have one

I think he meant having 3 QBs and not knowing where they fit isn't good.

There is no clear cut starter or back-up over there.

And with Man-genius bringing Ratliff from the Jets it appears that the starting job is wide open.

We have a completely different situation.

Campbell is the starter.

Collins is the backup.

Colt has to hold off any 'camp arm' like Chase Daniels to keep the 3rd spot.

Chase Daniels or the 4th QB/Arm is their to learn and challenge Colt and keep Jason from getting dead arm

4 QBs is good because the 3 QBs who wind up making the roster don't wear out their arms in training camp and preseason.

Enough said.

JC will play only play about 6-8 series during the 1st 3 game of the preseason and maybe 2 or 3 Qtrs in the final game.....thats not much wear and tear on his arm and Collins is a vet that doesn't need much "prep time" so Daniels and Colt will share the rest of the snaps.

I'd say greise and McCown are odd men out , probably McCown, since he's not shown much of anything. JOsh Freeman makes it because he's a 1st Rounder, and Byron probably will make it easily enough.

Doubt it. They just signed McCown to a 2 year, $7.5 mil contract.

They've carried 4 Qbs the last couple of years, and will probably do it again.

Probably McCown vs Leftwich for the starter's spot, and Greise is likeliest to go.

I would try to trade Collins to the Rams for a late round draft pick or something. If he's not even worth that, why bother keeping him? If he can't be traded outright, just cut him and take the cap hit; and promote Colt Brennan to primary backup.

Now, I support having Jason Campbell as the starter, and getting rid of Collins outright will go some ways to show him that we have at least some confidence in him.

For those who will scoff and say that CB is still green; I'm not saying CB is starter material yet, but there is already a precedent for having a 2nd year QB as the primary backup, set by the browns last season with quinn, who incidentally should be the starter going into this coming training camp.

Now, the situation we have here is like this. We have a backup QB that is old as Methusela, overpaid, has had very little actual game time in his career, is part of a previous regime, specializes in an offense from the prior regime that he spent 8 years in (and is potentially more valuable to another team..like the rams), and has spent the same amount of time in the current system as the secondary backup, who is younger (colt brennan). The secondary backup happens to be one of the most celebrated collegiate quarterbacks in recent history and has vast potential; with talent that needs to be developed. Also, the team needs to get younger overall. They need to clear up cap room in order to sign their rookies, UFA and FAs. Lastly, they need to make a move that will help repair the relationship they have with the current starter. So, what do you do? Which QBs do you keep and which do you get rid of? It's really a no brainer.

With Cleveland, they're talking about having 3 QBs who could start. Of course there is nothing wrong with having 4 QBs in camp. Everyone will have at least that many.

Exactly. Every team has 3+ QBs in camp, what they were talking about was having 3 QBs in camp all competing for the starting job. THAT is a disaster. We don't have that to worry about.

The problem for the Browns is that they don't have a starter and now have three guys competeing. That is a problem because now they each have less reps with the first team offense.

4 QB's is good for us because we have a camp arm. Now Jason, Todd, and to a lesser extent Colt won't be wearing out their arms before the season even starts. As far as I know we always bring a fourth guy to camp. Remember Sam Hollenbach?

To the best of my knowledge, this is our recent QB situation.

2006:

-Mark Brunell

-Jason Campbell

-Todd Collins

-Casey Bramlet (no playing time, cut August 28)

2007:

-Jason Campbell

-Todd Collins

-Mark Brunell

-Jordan Palmer (one god awful preseason quarter)

-Sam Hollenbach (no playing time, resigned as 3rd QB in December)

-Casey Bramlet (cut August 6)

2008:

-Jason Campbell

-Todd Collins

-Colt Brennan

-Derek Devine (limited preseason time)

-Sam Hollenbach (cut in July)

2009:

-Jason Campbell

-Todd Collins

-Colt Brennan

-Chase Daniel

I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up one more scrub.

A few days ago, Zorn said that the Skins would have 4 QB for camp and they in fact signed UDFA Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel. Meanwhile, one of the talking head ESPN analysis mentioned the Browns with 3 QBs as being a potential disaster. What advantage do the Skins get with 4 QBs in camp when 3 QBs in camp is a problem with another team?

Why do people not realize that going into camp with 4 QBs on your roster is SOP?

:doh:

Archived