Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

zoony

I've been to Boone County.

It's, um, different.

The thing that I don't think most people understand about these places in Appalachia...and don't you walk away from me Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia.....is that you can sort of get to the "towns"...but you need a freakin' helicopter to get to where some of these folks live.

If you live in a "holler" in West Virginia, it might be a sixty minute drive just to get to a two-lane paved state road.

I spent a month in Pendelton County (Which is just other-worldy gorgeous I might add) and the question I asked everyone is "Where do you buy groceries?" The answers were vague and seemed to involve a lot of elaborate planning.

I should point out that Boone County is decidely not "other worldly" gorgeous. That's mining country which has an eerie beauty at times but then you turn around, and - oh look - the mountain that used to be there is now gone.

Boone County is just north of Logan County which is both home to shockingly good high school basketball and the Hatfields and McCoys.

not sure what you'd expect me to say guys.

Where are you from originally? I forget.

Because Charles Town is New York City compared to Boone County.

I was reading an interview with The Necro Butcher recently (the wrestler who staples Mickey Rourke in the movie). He grew up in New Martinsville.

My reaction was: I played baseball there!

I love West Virginia. It's the only state in the country, I think, where everyone seems to know the name of every town with more than 500 people.

Where are you from originally? I forget.

Because Charles Town is New York City compared to Boone County.

I was reading an interview with The Necro Butcher recently (the wrestler who staples Mickey Rourke in the movie). He grew up in New Martinsville.

My reaction was: I played baseball there!

I love West Virginia. It's the only state in the country' date=' I think, where everyone seems to know the name of every town with more than 500 people.[/quote']

i'm from jefferson county. i know the difference, i've been to a lot of the state. i know this stuff exists in several places in wv. i've never denied that.

this exists in most states. Just some states have more of it than others.

Actually- I think the 'roughest' part of Appalachia is down my way. Del Rio, TN- part of ****e County.

****e County is one of the most backwards, inbred, trashiest places in existence. The Sherriffs there routinely (every 3 years or so) get raided by the FBI for sponsoring illegal ****fights and dog fights, etc. There are brothels- and crystal meth and crack galore. And they're all related and inbred- seriously. It's a sight.

No way I'd ever drive thru Del Rio. If they don't know you, kiss your ass goodbye.

Archived