Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Skins Will Trade With Lions For No. 1

Gregpeck99

In another thread, I posted my scenario for trading up to get Mark Sanchez. This requires an assumption that the Lions will take JSmith over Stafford, that Seattle will take Monroe to pair with Albert, and that the Jags will take Crabtree ... all reasonable assumptions. The Skins then will trade with Buffalo to jump ahead of Denver and select Mark at 11. That's my brain speaking. My gut is that Danny will not risk losing Sanchez after losing Cutler. He therefore will pull off a trade with the Lions for the No. 1 spot to guarantee getting his man. The trade will involve shipping Campbell to the Lions with this year's No. 13 and next year's No. 3. The Lions will be happy because they really are not sold on Stafford or JSmith given the big money it will take to sign these guys at No. 1. Danny will not have that problem with Mark Sanchez at No. 1. And it will solve Snider's challenge of finding a graceful will to depart with Campbell.

If this happens I will officially start the "Dark Cloud Fanclub" until Snyder sells the team.

Ghost ... It's hope ... wishful thinking ... want .... desire .... dreams ... you name it. No difference to me ... I just cannot look forward to another season of status quo ... the same road show the Skins have had for as long as I want to remember. Zorn came in and rasied expectations ... guess what! His team looked and played no differently than Gibbs' team. I'm freaking fed up ... I want a winner... most of all I want a competivetive team that has an identity and is fun to watch ... I want to win the East. The only way to do this is to get a decent "game-changing" QB. A game manager will not suffice. Anyone who believes an OLineman drafted at 13 magically will morph Campbell into a elite quarterback is as dumbass to me as I may be to you. Time for a change ... a draconian one at that! Let's get off our dumbarses and roll!

That Redskins Fan ... I think Sanchez has more talent than Leinhart, has better character, and is right-handed.

SWFL ... it will happen ... make plans to be a winner for the next decade or so. After the announcement is made ... let's meet in Tampa ... I'll treat you to dinner at Capitol Grill and we can get dead drunk to celebrate.

Sanchez is can't miss, definitely.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here. NOBODY is "can't miss", especially a one year wonder QB in college who you apparently want to start in the NFL from day one. A 40 million dollar (and that is just signing bonus) bust waiting to happen if we picked him at #1 overall.

Mistertim ... life is filled with choices ... either you choose to stay with Campbell and expect more of the same ... or... as I do ... you choose to act pro-actively and risk another QB ... one who comes from a pro-style top college program and has demonstrated over a near-championship season great production, superior field vision, an accurate arm, fabulous footwork, toughness, swagger, intensity and leadership and character. Did I leave anything out!

In another thread, I posted my scenario for trading up to get Mark Sanchez. This requires an assumption that the Lions will take JSmith over Stafford, that Seattle will take Monroe to pair with Albert, and that the Jags will take Crabtree ...

You got you teams mixed up, and I don't see the point although i can see Snyder trading to #1 what do we trade with, Campbell could be it. That would allow the lions to trade back up to get a top tackle if they Really wanted one, but I think it takes more picks than you suggest.

If this is the case which I dont see anyway in the world this happens why would we take Sanchez over Stafford who is suppose to be more NFL ready and the top rated Qb in the draft.

Someone already said it, but Sanchez looks more polished at times than Stafford, and his offensive system is closer to the WCO then what UGA ran

Matt Ryan's contract had $37 mil gauranteed. Sanchez at number one would command something at least $40 mil guaranteed. We would have to be paying him at least $10 mil in the first year!!! We can't afford it if they wanted to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are forgetting that the skins tend to backlog contracts, and if next year is expected to be uncapped, just put a healthy roster bonus next year, and pro rate a signing bonus. easy as pie.

The problem with the money part is to pay that guy out the ass and he becomes a bust. Talk about setting this franchise even further back. We would become the biggest joke in the league for trading up to #1 giving a rediculous contract and the guy fails.

that's also a good point. If JC is gone, i don't start him game one, I start collins, because at least he has faced the Giants before. I wait for Detroit or St Louis to pull Collins in favor of him. We have a pretty good early schedule for a young QB though, Detroit is in shamble,s St Louis could be good, but their D was pourous at times, and tampa is in disarray.

Oh and for those saying Drafting Sanchez makes JC in a lame duck year. hello, he's in the last year of his contract, unless we RFA him next year, he is already basically a lame duck.

No way we can even GET #1 let alone want to get #1. We don't have enough firepower unless we decide we want to be the Lions endentured servants for the first two rounds of the draft for the next 3 years.

I don't have any problem saying this will NEVER happen, and I'm not a guarantee guy normally. Will we move up, maybe but definitely not #1.

Mistertim ... life is filled with choices ... either you choose to stay with Campbell and expect more of the same ... or... as I do ... you choose to act pro-actively and risk another QB ... one who comes from a pro-style top college program and has demonstrated over a near-championship season great production, superior field vision, an accurate arm, fabulous footwork, toughness, swagger, intensity and leadership and character. Did I leave anything out!

as he demonstrated those things let look at the negatives as well

1. played behind a great oline , never got his jersey dirty,

2. 16 game starter ie one year wonder

3. will struggle with the speed of the nfl

4. has durbality concerns, struggled in sophmore year to stay healthy, injured in his junior campaign

5. Did not beat out John david booty for the starter psotion at usc in 2007

6. struggled mightly when he played a opponent that brought constient pressure Ie oregon state

all the poitives you list for him you have to look at his negatives and to me his negatives are to great.. I am not a campbell supporter i see his negatives as well believe me

but if this team is looking for a joe flaco matt ryan in sanchez...there are very mistaken

For all the "we want Sanchez" hype machine, ask yourself this:

Who was the last first round QB with this little experience as a starter? *cough* Ryan Leaf! *cough cough*

Is Jason Campbell a worse QB than Mark Rypien? I don't believe he is and Rypien was asked to just "drive the Cadillac". Which he did all the way to a Super Bowl MVP and a Lombardi trophy. Build the team around Campbell, or Brennan for that matter, and let him drive the Cadillac. Get a DE to take advantage of Haynesworth, an ORT and a Center who can handle NTs in the 3-4.

Given reliable holes to run through, Portis will be better and healthier. Given time to throw, Jason will settle down more and get through his reads better. With a real pass rush, we will get more turnovers adn more chances to score. All of which will increase offensive production a lot more relilably than any rookie QB, much less one with only 16 starts.

Who was the last first round QB with this little experience as a starter? *cough* Ryan Leaf! *cough cough*

Is Jason Campbell a worse QB than Mark Rypien? I don't believe he is and Rypien was asked to just "drive the Cadillac". Which he did all the way to a Super Bowl MVP and a Lombardi trophy. Build the team around Campbell, or Brennan for that matter, and let him drive the Cadillac. Get a DE to take advantage of Haynesworth, an ORT and a Center who can handle NTs in the 3-4.

Given reliable holes to run through, Portis will be better and healthier. Given time to throw, Jason will settle down more and get through his reads better. With a real pass rush, we will get more turnovers adn more chances to score. All of which will increase offensive production a lot more relilably than any rookie QB, much less one with only 16 starts.

and that is how a football team is built

That Redskins Fan ... I reply:

1. The SC OL in 2008 was relatively young and Sanchez' protection often broke down. Because of his great footwork, however, Sanchez frequently eluded the rush and found a wide open receiver downfield for a completion or TD. He demonstarted great mobility in the pocket throughout the year. No Seniors graduated from the USC OL this year.

2. Started in 2007 before getting injured. Was on team 3 years. Game experience may be short in a relative sense, but it was high in quality culminating in a Rose Bowl game before 80,000.

3. No evidence he will have any more trouble with NFL speed than Campbell already has ... this is conjecture on your part.

4. He seemed fine durability wise in 2008 ... this is a "red herring."

5. I believe injuries had something to do with this. Sanchez' production was greater in any event.

6. He threw into double coverage in the OrState game and the result was an interception. It was a bad decision admittedly, but no one is perfect. Game was a fluke. USC turned ball over 3 times during first half. Sanchez came back strong and USC won every game after.

I suggest you are "nit-picking" to make your point.

Meatsnack ... in the event Skins do not land Sanchez, I hope you are correct in your Burgundy-colored overly optimistic forecast. I do not see Campbell and Portis performing any better this year ... they both have peaked IMO.

ChiefPowhatan17 ... thats why the Campbell part of the proposed deal might present a problem.

2. Started in 2007 before getting injured. Was on team 3 years. Game experience may be short in a relative sense, but it was high in quality culminating in a Rose Bowl game before 80,000.

The exact same thing can be said for other QBs taken high even though they had relatively few starts and then became busts.

3. No evidence he will have any more trouble with NFL speed than Campbell already has ... this is conjecture on your part.

There is plenty of evidence. Simply look at history. Almost all college QBs (and players in general) take time to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Carson Palmer, who was a better prospect than Sanchez and who started almost 4 full years at USC, sat on the bench for a season before playing so he could get used to the NFL game and the speed of it (this is pretty much what he himself said).

That Redskins Fan ... I reply:

1. The SC OL in 2008 was relatively young and Sanchez' protection often broke down. Because of his great footwork, however, Sanchez frequently eluded the rush and found a wide open receiver downfield for a completion or TD. He demonstarted great mobility in the pocket throughout the year. No Seniors graduated from the USC OL this year.

4. He seemed fine durability wise in 2008 ... this is a "red herring."

5. I believe injuries had something to do with this. Sanchez' production was greater in any event.

6. He threw into double coverage in the OrState game and the result was an interception. It was a bad decision admittedly, but no one is perfect. Game was a fluke. USC turned ball over 3 times during first half. Sanchez came back strong and USC won every game after.

I suggest you are "nit-picking" to make your point.

i am going to nit pick as you state cause those are valid negatives

especially now that the redskins will have to trade to number three to obtain sanchez.. he has to be a hit and not a miss

LeftCoast ... You are right on ... this is a very important aspect of the opportunity ... Skins are catching the Lions at a vulnerable position at the top of the worst Draft in recent memory with the hapless Lions having two picks in the first round ... low hanging fruit for Danny-boy.

Mistertim ... I agree with your implication that the Drfat is a sucker's bet ... in this instance, the case for opting in is compelling because (i) many agree Sanchez has "star quality" even if it is potential ... and (ii) the Skins are enmeshed in their own Campbell conundrum having no choice but to risk a "Sanchez Bust" or risk settling for another year under Campbell. I believe Danny has already made the decision as to which risk he wants to take.

HoyaSkin28 ... its only a hobby ... don't get so overwrought.

LeftCoast ... You are right on ... this is a very important aspect of the opportunity ... Skins are catching the Lions at a vulnerable position at the top of the worst Draft in recent memory with the hapless Lions having two picks in the first round ... low hanging fruit for Danny-boy.

I've been on board with you peck99 and wvtbred as well. I mentioned in another thread that Cerrato/Snyder/Zorn any or all of them might be "smitten" is the word being used moreso with Sanchez than any other QB coming out of the draft this year and next year. You never know if a player is going to be a sure thing, (i.e., Jason Campbell) but you make your best judgement and hope you have a Pro Bowl caliber player when you draft that player.

Rypien threw for 28 tds that year if my memory serves me right. That's more than "driving the cadillac". And to answer your question, Jason Campbell is a worse qb than Rypien.

Archived