Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Skins' Interest in Sanchez Still Strong

SkinsMaster88

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009-nfl-draft/skins-interest-in-sanchez-stil.html

Skins' Interest in Sanchez Still Strong

The Redskins have maintained strong interest in USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, according to team and league sources, and are evaluating him closely as a top candidate to be selected with their 13th overall pick in the April 25-26 NFL draft.

There is a possibility that Sanchez, considered by some to be the best passer in the draft, could be gone by the time Washington picks, but the Redskins have a history of draft-day deals and parting with future picks in order to move up. The Redskins were very impressed with Sanchez's workout at USC's pro day, according to sources, and the quarterback is scheduled to visit Redskins Park this weekend.

Owner Daniel Snyder has sought a quarterback of the future since taking over the team a decade ago, and is very high on Sanchez. Snyder's attempts to trade for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler failed recently, and the team has made no long-term commitment to its current starter, Jason Campbell. Campbell's contract expires after this season and the Redskins made him available to at least one team during its pursuit of Cutler, seeking a second-round pick in return, according to league sources.

As for history, well, Washington dealt multiple picks for an additional first-round pick in 2005 -- and used it to select Campbell 25th overall.

Sanchez, a junior, made just 16 starts at USC, but starred and follows a lineage of highly-selected passers in that program, including Carson Palmer (a Pro Bowler) and Matt Leinart (who has struggled in the NFL). Several teams picking ahead of Washington could be in the market for a quarterback, with Detroit possibly taking Sanchez or Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford first overall, and Seattle, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Denver also exploring those options.

Sanchez played in a West Coast system much like that used by Redskins Coach Jim Zorn. Sanchez looks the part of an NFL quarterback at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds. He is athletic, strong-armed and mobile for his size, but some scouts caution that it may take a substantial amount of time and seasoning for him to succeed after making so few starts in college.

Sanchez would not fill an immediate need, but several other players possibly available with the 13th pick would. Should a tackle like Michael Oher (Mississippi) or Andre Smith (Alabama) slip, the Redskins could target either as a starter on the right side, while Aaron Maybin (Penn State) or Robert Ayers (Tennessee) would fill a void for a young defensive end, and any of a trio of USC linebackers -- Rey Maualuga, Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing -- could provide help at strong-side linebacker, another area of concern.

By Jason La Canfora | April 15, 2009; 2:07 PM ET

I firmly believe that this is a smoke screen for other teams interested to move up and trade with the Redskins.

i believe that too. we have way more needs on this team than a qb. but if we generate too much interest, he could be gone way before #13 because teams will try to jump ahead of us to pick him.

I firmly believe that this is a smoke screen for other teams interested to move up and trade with the Redskins.

I'm praying you're right. Taking a Qb this year would be a bad idea. JC should have one season to prove himself. Any confidence he has left would be shaken by a selection like this. He deserves an opportunity.

Not to mention next years draft is going to have two great QBs at least. McCoy and Bradford seem like better options to me.

I firmly believe this will be another stupid move by Vinny C and Dan Snyder. I'd love for Sanchez to come here with the same midget receivers and Offensive Line that campbell had last year. These idiots in the FO will never get it. Keep your draft picks and draft in areas where you were previously deficient!

I sort of agree, but it doesn't completely add up. There's enough talk about Sanchez not making it to #13 to make a smokescreen unnecessary. I don't think they're lying about liking Sanchez a lot. What's not to like? He'd be an ideal fit in this offense. That said, I don't see them trading up to get him (that would be a mistake, I think) and, even if he fell to #13, I think they address LB, OL, or DL.

Make no sense. Wouldn't teams that want Sanchez trade up ahead of us to get him because they think we are after him?

I firmly believe this will be another stupid move by Vinny C and Dan Snyder. I'd love for Sanchez to come here with the same midget receivers and Offensive Line that campbell had last year. These idiots in the FO will never get it. Keep your draft picks and draft in areas where you were previously deficient!

What stupid moves? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but most of the moves of past few years I wasn't into were Gibbs's. Cerrato, from what I understand, had precious little to do with some of the doozy moves.

Also: what midget receivers? 6-2, 6-4? I don't get it.

I'm praying you're right. Taking a Qb this year would be a bad idea. JC should have one season to prove himself. Any confidence he has left would be shaken by a selection like this. He deserves an opportunity.

So let me get this straight. If we draft a QB, that would shake his confidence? And this is the QB you want leading this team?

Mark my words, JC will be no better next year than he was this year.

I hope you are right otherwise I wanna know whos the latest to whip up on Snyder's butt with an idiot stick?

Make no sense. Wouldn't teams that want Sanchez trade up ahead of us to get him because they think we are after him?

It make sense. If another team is interested in Sanchez, they may be able to pry away the pick from the Redskins with additional picks. This also may change the way teams are looking to draft. The Redskins have known to send smoke screens.

So let me get this straight. If we draft a QB, that would shake his confidence? And this is the QB you want leading this team?

Mark my words, JC will be no better next year than he was this year.

How about instead of shaking confidence he grows balls and turn into Brees 2? Enough of this OMG his pride will be hurt. What is he 5 years old? Dude, gets $ millions to throw to ball around. Give me a shot at it.

Archived