Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oher's Intelligence

method man

Brian Billick and Mike Mayock were on NFL Network's Path to the Draft with us on the clock and they were looking at film of Oher and were totally impressed with him and kept saying how everything that he does wrong can be fixed by coaching and that he'll be a starter with whatever team takes him.

Well, "his problems can be fixed by coaching" is a line that can be used on a lot of prospects.

With Oher, we have bad technique + bad work ethic + trouble learning without extra personal tutoring. That adds up to a big risk, any way you cut it.

Well, "his problems can be fixed by coaching" is a line that can be used on a lot of prospects.

With Oher, we have bad technique + bad work ethic + trouble learning without extra personal tutoring. That adds up to a big risk, any way you cut it.

Bad work ethic? Do you know how hard this guy had to work to become NCAA-eligible? He worked so hard that he even made the Dean's List his sophomore year at Ole Miss. Why can't one of the offensive quality control guys (the assistant coaches' assistant coaches) spend extra time teaching Oher the scheme?

I think I'd rather trade down and get a guy like Bratton (is that his name) than Oher at 13. Maybe trade down and pick Oher still, but he's a risky guy to me. His learning curve may mean that he wouldn't be penciled in to start right away and that would mean that he's not worthy of a #13 pick.

What OT's have the Redskins worked out?

When you asked me that I actually looked it up - Redskins scouts were at both Oher and Andre Smith's pro days at Ole Miss and Alabama, respectively.

So actually, they are both on our radar. Neither has been worked out in private, but I consider attending their pro days to mean almost the same thing.

I'd be more worried about work ethic than intellgience for an offensive lineman. He may have grown up since high school, but to me a 0.6 GPA is more indicative of a lack of effort than anything else. Attitude is the main thing that worries me about Oher.

the ketchup bottle explanation does not alarm you?

then you add a abusive childhood, adopted at 16 did not play football till his junior year and from what i have heard from ole miss they had to repeat schemes and formations for him to understand and compherend.

Now translate that to a west coast offense or hybrid of and coach on the hot sea,t a gm on the hot seat a owner that wants to win now ..

and as of yet the redskins have not even worked out Oher as of yet

I think the signs are pointing (could be wrong) he is not rated to high by the current regime

This stuff scares me. Good football players come from good families. It's pretty much the truth. Saying that an "old time player" did just fine doesn't justify that he will.

The O-line is supposed to be as a unit the smartest group of players on the field. The Center and tackles being the brains of the group.

This stuff scares me. Good football players come from good families. It's pretty much the truth. Saying that an "old time player" did just fine doesn't justify that he will.

The O-line is supposed to be as a unit the smartest group of players on the field. The Center and tackles being the brains of the group.

Patrick Willis came from a very similar situation. Don't know if its been posted but here is a piece on him.

A. HUH?

B. Anyone who's read The Blind Side could tell you that Oher's family is as good as they get.

A. Odds are, good football players come from good families. When I talk good football players I mean, dedicated men with a good head on their shoulders. Guys who aren't complete headcases, guys who were raised right from the start. Hard working individuals who know how to succeed and apply that to almost any situation. Perform and there you go.

B. Nothing against Oher's family, I don't believe I was commenting on them was I.

Topic: "Oher's Intelligence"

I was commenting on the brains of O-linemen in the 2nd part of my post. The first part was directed towards the Dexter Manley comment.

Everyone in the NFL is one tick dumber than everyone else to begin with.

Oher started out life with a really bad hand of cards, but he's gotten by.

I'm sure Buges has coached dumber guys.

Big Jake's tv commercial comes to mind. For those of you who weren't around, it kinda went like this:

I

am

Joe

Jacoby

of

the

Washing

ton

Redskins

:D

IIRC, Manley was fairly articulate, albeit apt to mixed metaphors ("I'm gonna ring his clock"), he just couldn't read. He was able to hide it for years, even when in situations he'd be expected to read, which indicates some level of intelligence. No question that, kidding about Big Jake aside, most of the original Hogs were pretty smart. Hell, George Starke went to Columbia, which you don't go to if you're not smart, even if to play football. Mark May, Bostic, and Grimm, all pretty articulate and with-it guys. Yeah, I wouldn't want them doing my taxes; but I wouldn't want our Treasury Secretary doing them either. :cool2: That's thing about the OL it seems to me -- you don't need a line full of blue chip, first rounders. You need savvy guys with pretty good skill who can mesh together and act as a unit so well they're steps ahead of the D. Indeed, how many Hogs were 1st rounders? May was. Grimm was 3, Bostic? Gibbs thought Jacoby was a walk-on DT. Maybe Oher has football intelligence but he needs to be carefully evaluated. Look at Penn St.'s Gerald Cadogan. While his passion for football has been questioned, I have no doubt he can handle the mental aspects of OL play with ease. Same goes for Alex Mack (though he has football passion).

Oher is obviously a level above Britten and Beatty as a prospect. One major difference is that he would give us is a decent run blocker on the right side. It seems as though he has interviewed well, done well enough at Ole Miss and scored high enough on the wonderlic to be coachable. It is my understanding that he is a pretty good kid and is not known to have any character issues, or a poor work ethic. Can anyone cite a specific example or source? While I am not dying to pick Oher, I think that barring a trade up, Oher will be the BPA at #13 if A Smith doesn't fall.

That being said, I do like Maualuga a lot, and think if we could add a few players on defence, Maualuga, Sidbury and a 4th corner, we could be just as dominating as the Ravens and Steelers. The steeler's O line is no better than ours after all.

Good football players come from good families?

The best player that we've had in a few decades not inducted into the Hall of Fame didn't exactly grow up in the most ideal family.

Archived