Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Super Nintendo Games?

Thinking Skins

Explain to me NES/SNES RPGs and why they are held in such high regard.

I could barely get through KOTOR without my head exploding, and that's considered one of the greatest RPGs ever made. When I think of NES/SNES I think of platformers, side-scrolling shooters, beat 'em ups and whatnot. I thought Chrono Trigger was a shoot 'em up game until I rented it and was severely bored out of my mind.

In a way it's like reading a book without having to use your imagination. There wasn't even talking in those RPGs, was there? I guess customizing a character with new add-ons throughout the game is the big thrill. Just always found that genre to be the most dull in the video game industry. Guess it's because I like action games; you'd never find those in an arcade. What is it about those old RPG's that has them held in higher regard than some of the perennial classics by so many gamers?

Explain to me NES/SNES RPGs and why they are held in such high regard.

I could barely get through KOTOR without my head exploding, and that's considered one of the greatest RPGs ever made. When I think of NES/SNES I think of platformers, side-scrolling shooters, beat 'em ups and whatnot. I thought Chrono Trigger was a shoot 'em up game until I rented it and was severely bored out of my mind.

In a way it's like reading a book without having to use your imagination. There wasn't even talking in those RPGs, was there? I guess customizing a character with new add-ons throughout the game is the big thrill. Just always found that genre to be the most dull in the video game industry. Guess it's because I like action games; you'd never find those in an arcade. What is it about those old RPG's that has them held in higher regard than some of the perennial classics by so many gamers?

Either you get RPGs or you don't. There's no real way to explain it to someone who doesn't like them that will change their mind. Its like how some people like to listen to music where people scream throughout and other people don't get it. There's nothing the screamoheads can say that will make them understand.

BTW I have pretty much every game mentioned in here on my comp as a rom. Backed up from all my hard copies of course. If anyone wanted to borrow a rom and then delete it after 24 hours and buy the game if they liked it, all they would have to do is message me.

Either you get RPGs or you don't. There's no real way to explain it to someone who doesn't like them that will change their mind. Its like how some people like to listen to music where people scream throughout and other people don't get it. There's nothing the screamoheads can say that will make them understand.

BTW I have pretty much every game mentioned in here on my comp as a rom. Backed up from all my hard copies of course. If anyone wanted to borrow a rom and then delete it after 24 hours and buy the game if they liked it, all they would have to do is message me.

You got Illusion of Gaia?

According to gamefaqs.com here is the official top 10 list

#10: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

My personal favorite Castlevania, this game is also the last hurrah for Simon Belmont's adventures with Nintendo. The game's soundtrack, like nearly every Castlevania soundtrack, is awesome. The music for the first stage, Simon's Theme, is epic and an instant classic. This game also has a feature that no other Castlevania has: The ability to swing the whip in all eight directions! Aside from that, the game is a classic and a true challenge for those who are fans of 2-D platformers.

#9: Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Just when people thought the SNES had nothing left, along came Donkey Kong Country. Blowing people away with it's amazing 3-D graphics, the game also has a great soundtrack and some nifty gameplay. It is a solid platformer, although it's a bit short.

#8: Super Mario World (SNES)

The first killer app for the SNES, Super Mario World has it all for a platformer. It's full of great graphics, fun music, precise gameplay, and a lot of secrets to be found. The game is even more fun if you have a buddy or sibling to play it with you.

#7: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

The Zelda series is one of my favortie Nintendo series, and Link to the Past is one of my favorite Zelda games. The graphics are great, the music is awesome, and the gameplay is brought to perfection in this title. The reason that this game is ranked number seven, is that since this is a Zelda game I feel that the story could have used a lot more focus, especially in the Dark World. The story is still good though, and if it did have more focus, then it would have ranked higher.

#6: Earthbound (SNES)

Let me sum up Earthbound in one word: genius. Shigesato Itoi has created one of the most amazing and memorable video games to ever grace a system. The plot is very original, and even touching. The music is pretty cool, and the gameplay is very fun. The one thing that sets this RPG apart from other RPGs is the setting. Unlike other RPGs, Earthbound is set in the 1990s. That doesn't stop the game from taking you to alternate dimensions, have you battle zombies, aliens, robots, and even inanimate objects. Earthbound's style is unique and is something that no other RPG has been able to match. (With the exception being the Japan-only prequel and sequel.)

#5: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

I know that nearly everyone reading this list just went "what?!" Well, let me explain why I placed Chrono Trigger as number five. First, I won't deny that the game is a great SNES game. The music is spectacular, and reminds me of many big-budget movies. The sprites are some of the best on a 16-bit system, and the battle system is fast and fun. However, I feel that the character development was dissapointing, which is a shame since everything else about the game is amazing.

#4: Mega Man X (SNES)

This game is amazing. One of the greatest action games to ever be released, the first Mega Man X is a must play. The gameplay is fast, fun, and responsive. The music is an awesome blend of rock and techno, the graphics are crisp and clean, and the storyline is actually good. Heck, I think this is the first time that a Mega Man game had a good story. If for some reason you can't get a hold of the SNES original, I highly recomend Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X, the PSP remake.

#3: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)

A Mario RPG? And it's good?! Yep. And not only is it good, it is one of the best games ever. Take classic Mario story and gameplay and combine it with Square's massive epics and you have the last quality SNES game to be released. The music is a wonderful blend of the styles of Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, and Yoko Shimomura, the battle system is fun and original, the storyline is surprisingly good and interesting for a Mario game, and it has two of the coolest Mario characters ever: Geno and Mallow.

#2: Final Fantasy VI/III (SNES)

What can be said about this game that hasn't been said already? The storyline is an instant classic, with memorable characters and shocking events, especially at the time of the game's release. The music is amazing, with several well-known themes. The graphics are great, the gameplay is classic JRPG, and the game is just an all-around wonderful title. My only complaint is that the story can drag a bit, and the way it is told feels a bit stiff nowadays. Other than that, the game is perfect.

#1: Super Metroid (SNES)

Yes, Super Metroid. You may be surprised that the number one SNES game is not an RPG, so let me explain. Super Metroid is an amazing gaming experience. The gameplay of the 2-D Metroids is perfected here, the graphics are some of the best sprite-based ones I have ever seen. The music is dark, epic, mysterious, and touching. The title screen and opening sequence set the mood perfectly, and the last moments of the game are pretty touching. Just to let you know, I never played this game until it was released on the Virtual Console. That is clearly proof that Super Metroid has stood the test of time, and that gives it the number one spot on my list.

• 1 month later...

Archived