Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Whose Breakout Season / Return to Form Would Most Benefit Team

Skins-Canes-Mounties

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Reading over the Foxsports Article in Breaking News with Jansen's comments about being in shape / becoming familiar with the scheme and all of the talk about our WRs, I wanted to take stock of the Boards' members on the roster.

There are certainly depth issues at most positions on this team, with some exceptions (QB, DT (finally!) etc.). However, this team needs between three to five solid starters for it to compete at a very high level. Most of the members of this Board will agree that the biggest holes to fill are Right Offensive Tackle, Strongside LB, Left Defensive End, Wide Receiver not named Moss or Randle El, and possibly Right Offensive Guard. And given this team's salary cap position, we need to face it. Aside from the draft, we are only going to see the veteran minimum types of guys signed to compete for these jobs.

With this in mind, it is likely that, if the Skins are going to compete for a championship, some of those "quality" starters needed are going to have to come from the current roster. Whether it be Jansen or Heyer at Right Offensive Tackle or Thomas stepping up as a WR. This team is going to need someone to "step up."

All the time, we see players that have "blips" on their career statistical charts where we see them perform at a level that they had not performed in the past and that we will never see them do again - the "one year wonder". For example - Devin Thomas in college at Michigan State or the Denver Running Backs under Shanahan (until 2008). Whether it be the system or a guy just "getting it" for one year.

Sometimes, we see guys return to form and have a great (or very good season) when most people had written them off. For example - Chad Pennington with the Dolphins this year.

The purpose of this thread is to see who the board thinks would be the most beneficial to the team to step up their game and fill one of the Redskins' starting holes. This is for the 2009 season only - not a long-term solution.

I've listed some of the contenders at these positions in the poll. If I missed anybody, please feel free to write it in. The focus of this poll are positions where it appears that the board members feel that the team must address a position either through the draft or FA (Cutler threads aside). That is why Campbell is not included in the poll. That is also why I didn't include Horton - I haven't seen much chatter about bringing in additional safeties to compete for a starting job (although perhaps to compete for depth).

Jason Campbell for breakout year/return to the first half of last season form. If he puts an entire season together this year, we could win 12 games.

That would be nice, but for that to happen, my vote--Devin Thomas (or Kelly) will HAVE to come to play and have a season something along the lines of 65 catches, 800 yards, 5 TDs. One of these guys has to take the pressure off Moss and Cooley in order for Zorn to truly open up the offense for Campbell to operate.

Jason Campbell for breakout year/return to the first half of last season form. If he puts an entire season together this year, we could win 12 games.

AMEN to that Campbell is the key. Now that key might not open the lock but I think it will...I voted for Devin Thomas we need him to explode onto the scene this year. The more I watched him play the more he reminded me of Brandon Marshall in Denver.

Most of the members of this Board will agree that the biggest holes to fill are Right Offensive Tackle, Strongside LB, Left Defensive End, Wide Receiver not named Moss or Randle El, and possibly Right Offensive Guard.

Your post is a failure in my opinion because not only did you leave Jason Campbell off your long list to choose from but you here somehow don't admit that the biggest question mark on the team is at the QB position. It honestly won't matter much whos playing on the Offensive line or who is lining up at the WR position when you see Jason Campbell back there he's not going to ever get the job done unless he has a breakout year.

The only player on the entire team that holds the ability to make a difference on our Won-Loss record is Jason Campbell. If he has a breakout year expect us to be playing for home field advantage come December. Yup I said that, we have probowlers at WR, RB, TE, FB, and our Defense is top 5 in the league no question. If we can get a breakout year from Jason this season we will win the division and be playing for NFC home field advantage. If he plays like he did last season forget about the playoffs completely and get ready for massive turnover in Front Office, Coaching, and players here next year. How anyone can ask a question about who's breakout season means the most to the team and leave Jason off the poll is beyond me.

That would be nice, but for that to happen, my vote--Devin Thomas (or Kelly) will HAVE to come to play and have a season something along the lines of 65 catches, 800 yards, 5 TDs. One of these guys has to take the pressure off Moss and Cooley in order for Zorn to truly open up the offense for Campbell to operate.

True but I think this is the same for a few other players too so I cant vote for Campbell. I think if Jansen which was my pick steps up, we get consistant play at RG and, like you said Thomas or Kelly step up then its expected for Campbell to have a probowl type season.

I voted for Devin Thomas for a couple reasons. We've been missing a #2 WR threat for years and that has significantly hurt our offense over the last few years. Also, I think a break out season for DT likely means that A. Campbell is playing pretty well to get him the ball and B. The O-line has stepped up their game.

I kind of view the offensive improvements needed as a hierarchy. First, the Oline (specifically right side) needs to improve its play. Next, the Oline improvement will then allow Jason Campbell the opportunity to prove he has it (whether or not he actually does is up for debate). If the Oline fails again, Campbell won't really have the chance. Finally, Devin Thomas will be put in position to put up legitimate #2 numbers if those first two occur. There's no guarantee that he will, but I think we need stability at those other positions to allow a #2 receiver to flourish.

Campbell has been a lightning rod for criticism since he has stepped into the starter role. Even Campbell supporters would agree that he needs to "step up" in 2009. The focus of this poll are positions where it appears that the board members feel that the team must address a position either through the draft or FA (Cutler threads aside). Most talk is about DE, OLB, RT, RG, and WR. Management seems to be content with the QB situation (at least publicly), and that is why Campbell is not included in the poll. That is also why I didn't include Horton - I haven't seen much chatter about bringing in additional safeties to compete for a starting job (although perhaps to compete for depth). I should have been more clear in my original post, and I will modify it to clarify.

In my opinion it's Devin Thomas at wideout. Jason Campbell or anyone else that lines up behind center is going to need a reliable target other than Moss and Cooley. This is something we havent had in a very long time.

A second would be Heyer at RT. Something has to be done at that position and I pick Heyer over Jansen just due to age. It would be much better to have a young guy step up for the next few years than an older guy on the decline. This is secondary to me because I think between Jansen and Heyer we can get at least decent protection on that side and because I think it's possible we address this via the draft.

Archived