Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football Outsiders: 2009 Mock Draft

skinsfannyc76

Link: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2009/2009-fo-mock-draft

I got to this via Matt Mosley's blog on ESPN.com: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast

I thought this was a much more thoughtfully put together mock draft than what you typically see out there. I appreciated the explanations.

13. Washington Redskins: Andre Smith, T, Alabama. Why yes, Washington desperately needs a pass rusher who can work alongside Albert Haynesworth. The problem is that the Redskins don't take defensive linemen in the draft. Vinny Cerrato has never selected a defensive lineman before the fifth round of the draft as a member of the Redskins organization; the last defensive linemen he was responsible for selecting with a Day One pick was Israel Ifeanyi with the 49ers in 1996, and Ifeanyi played three NFL games. He's not picking a defensive end here, and the team's next biggest hole is at right tackle.

Stephon Heyer has been wildly inconsistent there when he has been healthy, while Jon Jansen's talents have been ravaged away by age and injury. Heyer could serve as the utility lineman and back up all four tackle and guard spots, and Smith could move in at right tackle before eventually replacing Chris Samuels at left tackle.

If we come out of the draft with either Smith or Oher I'll be happy. I know there are question marks about both but all reports are both are very talented physically and with good coaching should be excellent value for the #13. They are both worth a roll of the dice IMO.

If someone offers a blockbuster trade to move down then great but if we stay put assuming Arakpo has gone then its one of the tackles for me.

That's pretty pathetic. Cerrato hasn't drafted a d-lineman before the 5th round since '96. I really think Cerrato may have lost his marbles after bringing back R. Wynn. Wynn is a traitor in my book. You don't bring back someone who left you for a division rival especially when the production from that player will be minimal at best.

I would be happy with Smith. I think it's pretty much coming down to Orakpo, Smith or trading down.

Vinny will sit there and say Hail Marry hoping Orakpo falls to 13, slim chance there but you never know. If/when that doesnt happen he will try to get Andre Smith. But if that somehow doesn't work out either, he will try to trade down just like last year and get more picks.

Any of these three scenarios I will be happy with.

That's pretty pathetic. Cerrato hasn't drafted a d-lineman before the 5th round since '96. I really think Cerrato may have lost his marbles after bringing back R. Wynn. Wynn is a traitor in my book. You don't bring back someone who left you for a division rival especially when the production from that player will be minimal at best.

He went to the giants after playing for the saints.......

the only reason i would think about drafting Andre Smith is because we have Chris Samuels who A.Smith supposedly looks up to

my ideal scenario would be:

1.)Orakpo somehow slipping to use at 13, and danny locking Vinny in the closet so he won't pass on taking him

2.) Trade back for more picks

3.) A.Smith or Oher

If we come out of the draft with either Smith or Oher I'll be happy. I know there are question marks about both but all reports are both are very talented physically and with good coaching should be excellent value for the #13. They are both worth a roll of the dice IMO.

If someone offers a blockbuster trade to move down then great but if we stay put assuming Arakpo has gone then its one of the tackles for me.

I'd be pleased with Smith at #13 but not with Oher. He has talent, but he seems to be sliding down mocks that I'm reading and I'm not convinced that he's worth drafting at #13. if we traded down and seleted him then that would be fine, but at #13 I think he's a reach. We should be drafted for BPA at need positions including Linebacker, OT, and DE and Oher at #13 just seems like a forced "safe" pick.....

I love how everybody knows Vinny doesn't believe in drafting linemen in the early rounds. Hell, it's some kind of bizarre badge of honor for Vinny. What a joke. I mean, I would at least kinda get his philosophy if he had any success with it, but he hasn't -- not at all. We haven't been able to get to the qb the whole team Vinny's been here.

After talking to both Casserly and Mark May about Andre Smith, I'm a little more open to the idea but both said he likely isn't there at 13. I would be fine with Oher, he's probably the safer pick of the 2. Aaron Maybin's name is popping up in mock drafts but drafting a "tweener" scares me

Wynn didn't leave us, he was cut by us in training camp before the 2007 season began. He was picked up by the Saints and was injured during the season. He was then cut by the Saints and was picked up by the Giants. Wynn is a very good role player and locker room presence that will do fine in Washington.

I'm also thinking it would be best if the Skins trade back. Fact is, we probably could trade back and get either Oher or Britton, either of which will fill the need at RT and could eventually develop into a LT, or we could go LB, tho in this case you probably can get the LB with whatever pick you pick up in the tradedown. Given what they had mocked, I would think that Cushing would be preferable to Smith.

Honestly, the only DE I'd pick that probably would stay at DE on our team would be Orakpo. Just about everyone else I can only see us picking if we think they can be moved to OLB and used to blitz occasionally.

Instead of saying we won't pick a DE because we never do, they should really say that we aren't going to pick DE because not many of those guys would fit on our team. Too many damn tweeners in this draft.

After talking to both Casserly and Mark May about Andre Smith, I'm a little more open to the idea but both said he likely isn't there at 13. I would be fine with Oher, he's probably the safer pick of the 2. Aaron Maybin's name is popping up in mock drafts but drafting a "tweener" scares me

I really dont like what I read and hear about Maybin. He has not produced in College but has great measurables. If he can't produce in College why would he suddenly do so in the NFL?

My only issue with going Oher or Smith in the first round is would Bugel even allow them to start? I can't see Buges benching Jansen or Heyer in favor of a rookie RT and whomever we draf tat #13 has to be an immediate contributor.

In this case he would have zero choice. He would be instructed to start the rookie.

Archived