Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There ain't much talk of re-building the trenches these days...

Est.1974

We actually have adressed both lines. Maybe you forgot about them because of their small contracts, but Derrick Dockery and Albert Haynesworth are now members of the Washington Redskins. We also have young talent on the O-line. That being said, we do need to add another member to the O-line as well as a DE.
Young Talent? UDFA's are not talent. Geisinger? Batiste? Clark? Heyer, Riley, Rinehart, Ross? They make a fine practice squad. Rinehart has the most potential and didn't play a down. Heyer is Vinny's attempt to prove you can build an OLine from nothing to justify his aversion to drafting OLine. If he wasn't a home town product, he would not be playing football anywhere. The SKins have spent 3 years on that pipe dream.

Picking up Dockery is one of the luckiest strokes in 10 years of extremely poor planning by the FO, but it was all luck. So now we have Samuels for two to 3 years tops, Dockery for 4 or 5 years next to him on the left, a center who hasn't made a block downfield in the last 3 years and can't push any nose tackle out of the way, and two guys on the right that are so far past their prime they'll be lucky to make it a full season. The "youth" has less than 80 snaps between them for the Skins last year. You've heard of a man for all seasons? How about an OLine for half a season? Because that's all the Skins have, at best.

I can hear Rodney Dangerfield addressing the OLine just like the Skins did. "Helloooooo OLine!"

You get what you pay for and so far, we haven't improved the OLine enough to make a difference next year.

I can hear Rodney Dangerfield addressing the OLine just like the Skins did. "Helloooooo OLine!"

You get what you pay for and so far, we haven't improved the OLine enough to make a difference next year.

Agreed. It needs major attention asap.

There are only two choices--either via the draft, or by trading some talent on the roster right now, as I suggested above.

Young Talent? UDFA's are not talent. Geisinger? Batiste? Clark? Heyer, Riley, Rinehart, Ross? They make a fine practice squad. Rinehart has the most potential and didn't play a down. Heyer is Vinny's attempt to prove you can build an OLine from nothing to justify his aversion to drafting OLine. If he wasn't a home town product, he would not be playing football anywhere. The SKins have spent 3 years on that pipe dream.

Picking up Dockery is one of the luckiest strokes in 10 years of extremely poor planning by the FO, but it was all luck. So now we have Samuels for two to 3 years tops, Dockery for 4 or 5 years next to him on the left, a center who hasn't made a block downfield in the last 3 years and can't push any nose tackle out of the way, and two guys on the right that are so far past their prime they'll be lucky to make it a full season. The "youth" has less than 80 snaps between them for the Skins last year. You've heard of a man for all seasons? How about an OLine for half a season? Because that's all the Skins have, at best.

Heyer's started parts of two years

The Oline can be addressed with a center or guard in the 3rd round. We can continue the carrousel of Heyer and Jansen for one more year at RT. The Dline looks decent, and I think we can pick up a couple of OLBs to rotate in F.A. There are still some serviceable OLBs waiting for the phone to ring. The 13th pick is very valuable, and we should go best available. We can use an upgrade at QB, WR, LB, Oline, DE. I’d much rather live with a couple of band aids and find a game changer then to chase talent.:cool2:

it's more likely that Heyer would move to LT before Geisinger would come in.
Have we actually seen Geisinger play center? He might do fine

Justin Geisinger has not been re-signed. He did have a brief spell at LT. Justin, meet Terrell Suggs. 3 plays later, taxi to Injured Reserve for Justin. Can't fault him but it wasn't pretty. Zorn took the heat for that one.

Without Samuels in the game, we are screwed at Tackle. A rookie may not have all of the answers but we need more at that position, somehow.

Great thread. Some of our best newer members are from England it seems.

:notworthy

I am assuming our 13th is gone.
There are only two choices--either via the draft, or by trading some talent on the roster right now.

I now think that the #13 needs to be used to fill two needs via trade back. Without this pick we, in the Cutler scenarios, we just end up having to do without. I don't believe we have much, if anything, on the roster to trade away for any kind of value. The Jason Taylor trade bits us again here, that second would be handy again in this instance ( If we did trade away #13).

Just like LL pointed out recently, the Dallas offensive line looked horrible when Johnson was playing, then suddenly looked good again upon Romo sits to pee's return.

Why is that?

To say Brad Johnson is as mobile as a statue is an insult to statues everywhere.

Romo sits to pee, on the other hand, is very good at avoiding the rush and scrambling.

That's the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
So lar, now we have the 13 slot tucked firmly away in our back pocket, how do you propose we rebuild the lines with what little picks we have?

Hail.

Well, this years first ( or first & third if we trade back )

Plus

next years first, or second / third dependant on the play of the OL vets & LDE position this year.

Something like that will be a start.

The trenches are coming in the first and second rounds. Second round, you say? JC's gone. DE in the first and QA Shipley in the 2nd. Trenches improved greatly. samuel-doc-shipley-thomas-heyer. Heyer needs to step his game up big time. Thomas needs to stop getting hurt.

The trenches are coming in the first and second rounds. Second round, you say? JC's gone. DE in the first and QA Shipley in the 2nd. Trenches improved greatly. samuel-doc-shipley-thomas-heyer. Heyer needs to step his game up big time. Thomas needs to stop getting hurt.

I'd hope that if we did pick up an extra day one pick somehow, 2 of our first 3 picks would be lineman.

Based on the last few day, I wouldn't like to say what direction our #1 pick could be heading in. If indeed JC did go, as per your post, even QB would be a possibilty.

:doh:Why should we be talking about rebuilding the trenches when Campbell still needs to learn to man up and admit to his coach when he isn't understanding protection schemes?

Because when you look at the lines,especially the oline,there is an obvious need to address them now rather than later. One more season and a few of these guys are going to be getting senior citizen discounts. While Jason didn't help last season with his play at times,there is no doubt that the line needed to shoulder the blame as well for some of the problems. Pretty sure that the "look out" play isn't in the playbook,but it appeared the line called it in an audible several times during last season. Now please try to contain the Jason Campbell critique to the other 16 threads about him specifically.

So is it official, no one has faith in Stephon Heyer anymore?

~Bang

Last year he was somewhat decent at pass blocking but in run blocking I think he is pretty awful. I dont think its time to close the book on him yet since he will have another year to work with Buges. We shall see alot of people are going to be fighting for jobs next year.

I forget who it was, but someone said that 13th pick is burning a hole in Dan's pocket. That was awesome!

There's the problem right there. Snyder would rather throw picks to Denver than draft an OL or DL with the 13th pick. Quick and easy instead of draft and develop. That's the Snderatto philosophy.

Archived