Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There ain't much talk of re-building the trenches these days...

Est.1974

Not too long ago is all started with the trenches. Build from the lines outwards. Trade back, draft the lines all the way.

Lets get a FA OLineman. Elton Brown, Ray Willis..Get someone fast, anyone, thats how bad it is.

What about the Dline, let re-sign Wynn, Get Daniels back, Get someone fast for LDE, anyone, thats how bad it is.

Oh, and what about OLB, Fincher anyone ? Gotta draft one fast, thats how bad it is.

Then, Jay Culter rumours appear and the water gets very muddy. Give them JC & two first rounders, just like that.

But what of the cherished #13 pick. You know, the one to trade back with for OT / DE / OLB. Those positions we have to have, don't we ?

Don't get me wrong. Cutler as a Redskin sounds great to me. I have not given up on Jason but I would swap him for Cutler, no problem, no hesitation.

But at what cost. We still have other serious needs don't we ? Are they solved by writing off the 2009 draft plus the first rounder next year ( potentially ).

The hysteria around Culter seems to have made all of our other issues vanish.

Well, say we got him at the cost it will take. How do we sort everything else out ?

:)

Exactly right, enough with the Cutler talk already. The Daniels injury was costly, since Taylor cost two draft choices in return for 8 million dollars worth of nothing. With the other picks we need to acquire linemen to protect whoever it will be, most likely Campbell.

Just like LL pointed out recently, the Dallas offensive line looked horrible when Johnson was playing, then suddenly looked good again upon Romo sits to pee's return.

Why is that?

I think people know the answer deep down inside.

If the Skins lack of offensive production can be fixed with changing just one player (Cutler), Snyder would be foolish to not at least try to make it happen.

We actually have adressed both lines. Maybe you forgot about them because of their small contracts, but Derrick Dockery and Albert Haynesworth are now members of the Washington Redskins. We also have young talent on the O-line. That being said, we do need to add another member to the O-line as well as a DE.

I haven't forgotten anything.

Dockery was an unexpected ( good ) pick-up. I'd hoped Rinehart was our future LG. Apparently not.

Haynesworth. Fantastic pick-up.

My point is, we need RT, LDE or LB. This has been discussed to death for weeks.

The number #13 pick has all the answers. It doesn't if it becomes Jay Cutler, whom I'll add again I'd love as a Redskin.

Get the franchise QB, who many, my self included, believe Cutler has all the intangibles and is well on the way to being, and everything else takes care of it's self over time.

As regards the O-Line, I firmly believe Cutler would instantly make them look a whole bunch better by not making them hold their blocks an age like Jason continues to do.

Same with the current receiving core. His Marino-Esq release, and ability to see the WHOLE field, not just locking in on his primary or secondary receiver, would make the double coverage excuses on Moss and Cooley, or poor receiving group excuses look exactly what they are, tawdry.

Yes, we'd doubtless have to sacrifice high picks, and ride what we have a little longer in certain positions.

Do we need to upgrade the line and receiving options? No question.

But when you get the chance of signing the single most important position on any football team, and solidify the position for the next 10 years or more, then, even when that comes at the expense of other needs, you grab it hands down.

Franchise/Elite QB> A N Other Position. NO CONTEST!

Hail.

But when you get the chance of signing the single most important position on any football team, and solidify the position for the next 10 years or more, then, even when that comes at the expense of other needs, you grab it hands down.

So all this crap about firstly building through the trenches is rubbish then ?

We have neglected them for years, you know...

My point is' date=' we need RT, LDE or LB. This has been discussed to death for weeks.

The number #13 pick has all the answers. It doesn't if it becomes Jay Cutler, whom I'll add again I'd love as a Redskin.[/quote']

How does it have all the answers? Is there a first-round-worthy rookie who plays all three positions? Do you have magical insight that the player we will select will even start? Produce? Become a starter? A star?

The chances he could be a bust are just as big. This isnt Madden Football against the CPU, where you plug in rookies and some magical progression makes them better.

EDIT: I'm not superstitious, but the #13 pick???!!!??? :D

So all this crap about firstly building through the trenches is rubbish then ?

We have neglected them for years' date=' you know...

:)[/quote']

What would you seriously rather have?

An average to good at best pro QB, who plays not to lose games rather than win them, and has shown he doesn't have the ability to do anything other than that on a consistent basis, playing behind an improved line?

Or a franchise caliber QB that DOES go out to try win games with his play, and would bring much needed attacking excitement to the position in DC, and score a lot of those point thingies that matter so much in this game, even if it came at the expense of an O-Line overhaul for another year?

Being as you probably won't be able to do both, which would YOU rather have first?

I think I clearly nailed my thoughts to Cutler mast above and reasons why.

Hail.

I wish we knew if and what Snyder has discussed with the Broncos today concerning Cutler.

Me too.

I would like Matt Cassell (sp) to annouce he will refuse to play for the Chiefs. Him to the Broncos is the only thing that keeps the price down, IMO.

What would you seriously rather have?

An average to good at best pro QB, who plays not to lose games rather than win them, and has shown he doesn't have the ability to do anything other than that on a consistent basis, playing behind an improved line?

Or a franchise caliber QB that DOES go out to try win games with his play, and would bring much needed attacking excitement to the position in DC, and score a lot of those point thingies that matter so much in this game, even if it came at the expense of an O-Line overhaul for another year?

Being as you probably won't be able to do both, which would YOU rather have first?

I think I clearly nailed my thoughts to Cutler mast above and reasons why.

Hail.

I've said earlier, I like Cutler. But I'm not just on about the QB position.

The danger is he'll look the same as any other QB wiping dirt off his ass when he's been sacked again by Demarcus Ware.

I'm just curious to know how people would get around our other problems if we went all in on Culter.

I've noted in other threads you don't mind the idea of Heyer at RT for example ( hope I'm correct there ). In that instance, maybe we will get by.

If your view is worry about the rest in 2010, thats fair enough. Perhaps we'll rack up the points, Culter would throw for 4500 yards & we'd still finish 8-8. Who knows.

Maybe we would finish around the same as we have for nigh on two decades next year with Cutler, who knows mate?

But the positives of grabbing a franchise caliber QB FAR outweigh the negatives, whatever short term expense that comes at.

And when all said and done, even if we stand pat; shy of moving around with our picks, the chances are we'll only get one player with the ability to step in and start from day one with that #13.

Being as the main needs are a combination of O-Line, D end and LB, were hardly gona' upgrade to that significant an extent if we keep the pick.

A franchise QB trumps EVERYTHING else when it presents it's self, which is VERY rarely.

Hail.

I've said earlier' date=' I like Cutler. But I'm not just on about the QB position.

The danger is he'll look the same as any other QB wiping dirt off his ass when he's been sacked again by Demarcus Ware.

I'm just curious to know how people would get around our other problems if we went all in on Culter.

I've noted in other threads you don't mind the idea of Heyer at RT for example ( hope I'm correct there ). In that instance, maybe we will get by.

If your view is worry about the rest in 2010, thats fair enough. Perhaps we'll rack up the points, Culter would through for 4500 yards & we'd still finish 8-8. Who knows.

:)[/quote']

We could be 0-16, we could be 16-0, and in between anything is possible too.

Our rookies could turn out to be stars, they could be busts, and anything in between is possible too.

But the one thing that many people on this board, and the majority of people in and around the league agree on, is that Cutler is a better quarterback then Jason Campbell.

People say our line is crappy. I would still like to have the better quarterback behind our crappy line.

Not too long ago is all started with the trenches. Build from the lines outwards. Trade back' date=' draft the lines all the way.

[/quote']

Let's hope the team still thinks that way. With or without a tradeback.

You have to understand a lot of members here get most of their knowledge of the game from Madden and their fantasy leagues. OL doesn't count much there. You want the guys aiming your cannons to be spot on, but the guys who lug the cannonballs to the fort are just as crucial to victory.

Many fans believe Cutler can improvise given the Skins current oline.

Your point still stands, though.

Two first rounders is way too much for the Skins to be giving up right now. I'd rather have a solid oline than Jay Cutler.

:2cents:

How does it have all the answers? Is there a first-round-worthy rookie who plays all three positions? Do you have magical insight that the player we will select will even start? Produce? Become a starter? A star?

The #13 pick does hold all of the answers. Go read through the many draft related threads of the last 3 months :)

behind our crappy line.

A Franchise QB behind a crappy OL may not always win :)

Many fans believe Cutler can improvise given the Skins current oline.

Your point still stands, though.

Two first rounders is way too much for the Skins to be giving up right now. I'd rather have a solid oline than Jay Cutler.

:2cents:

I agree. That is my point.

Cutler, at the right price, Yes.

Two first rounders, especially a #13 this year. Not sure.

You have to understand a lot of members here get most of their knowledge of the game from Madden and their fantasy leagues.

That's one of the most arrogant sweeping comments I've read all week in the on-going QB debate.

Points win football games.

Always have, always will, and 14-17 points just doesn't get it done in today's NFL.

No one argues that the offensive line needs upgrading, but I'd wager my mortgage that you'd get not only better line play, but better production from the offense as stands with a QB like Cutler under center, and all he brings to the table; than a QB like Campbell, who you could put behind the best combined O-Line in history, and everything to date points to the fact we'd be no better off as an attacking force as, by the very nature of his play, he plays to not lose football games, rather than win them.

Hail.

We actually have adressed both lines. Maybe you forgot about them because of their small contracts, but Derrick Dockery and Albert Haynesworth are now members of the Washington Redskins. We also have young talent on the O-line. That being said, we do need to add another member to the O-line as well as a DE.

The #13 pick does hold all of the answers. Go read through the many draft related threads of the last 3 months :)

A Franchise QB behind a crappy OL may not always win :)

I have read through many threads and all i see is that we hope, that some youngsters who havent played a ****ing down in the NFL yet, are going to come in and cure aaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll the problems that some guys who at least have played/started in this league couldnt solve.

My point is that if i can improve one area today, then i do it. Honestly, except players who would create more cap trouble because of the cap hits we would take, i would trade anybody's ass to get a potential franchise quarterback this team hasnt seen in decades.

Archived