Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wauw, did ya know this....

wilco_holland

....Jonathan Stewart (Carolina) was the 13th pick in the 2008 draft. The Panthers signed him to a $14 Million contract with $10 Million guaranteed. He had 184 rushing attempts for 836 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Panthers.

The contract for this year's 13th pick will fall in line with the the contract of this year's top choice to Jake Long's deal with the Dolphins. Even in hard times, that figures to be more than the $10 Million guaranteed in Stewart's deal.

(from http://redskinshogheaven.com/2009/03/the-best-tackles-the-redskins-wont-draft.html)

Do they say that we spend 5 year 57 Mil on a 13th pick...whit 30 mil guarenteed? Wauw the guy needs to be good, no bust.

The rest of the story is pretty interesting also,

On Draft Day, Vinny Cerrato will look at Oher and A-Smith, but will look at other talent at other positions regardless of need. He will select the most athletic talent who can help the team, as he said he would on many occasions.

If you doubt this logic, think back to the '07 Draft when Washington's team need was pass rush. (Some things never change).

Mock drafts that year showed strong sentiment for defensive ends Gains Adams and Jamaal Anderson, or defensive tackle Amobi Okoye. Who did the Skins select with the sixth pick? LaRon Landry.

Landry was thought to be not only the best safety in the draft, but the best defensive player at any position. Cerrato and Joe Gibbs had to face down low level fan wrath for the choice, but Landry's play and tragic events showed the wisdom of the move.

If the real draft by real GMs plays out the same as the mock drafts, the best talent on the board won't be an offensive lineman.

Danny VinZorn will use that pick for someone else.

Wenn ya read it like this, it sounds very logical that we draft someone else. Everybody is thinking OT, DE or (O)LB....but I would make sence for Dan and Vinny to draft a player like Malcomb Jenkins/Vontae Davis (both realy good player) or Knowshon Moreno/Chris Wells because they think that they are the BPA.

BUT the big differance whit the '07 draft is the amount of players that fit a need (whitout reaching a lot). In '07 it were defensive ends Gains Adams and Jamaal Anderson, or defensive tackle Amobi Okoye were the players that fit the need for passrush....but LaRon was by far the best D# player, so we picked him.

This year it could be OT's Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eben Britton, DE's Brown, Maybin, Jackson and Ayers(?), or (O)LB's Cushing, Clay Matthews and Rey Maualuga that fit a need, but there isn't a player that is far better then any of these guys wenn we pick. I think it is impossible for Dan and Vinny to not draft a OT, DE, LB....I think wenn we pick the BPA is a OT, DE or LB.

(I know it is realy bad writen english, if you don't get it.....say it and I will try to chance it something ya better understand).

I'm still hoping and praying we work a trade out with Denver in some description for Cutler, and doubtless if we do, we won't have that #13 pick.

But yeah, the money getting paid to rookies is nuts, particularly when you consider it's not even a top 10 pick, and could well go on a line man if we keep hold of it.

Hail.

*Btw wilco, your written English is better than a lot of other posters on here, so don't be self conscious man. I understood your post fully. :cheers:

(I know quite a few Dutch lads that actually speak better Scouse than I do, being their first real introduction to English speaking people outside of Holland was coming over for L'pool games. It's quite funny to listen to them.).

I think due to the fact out of 10 players drafted last year, there was only one player with any significant contributions (our last pick, horton), a 4th rounder cut and 4 collective starts from the other 8 players drafted, vinny is going to pick ANYONE who can get on the field and play right away, regardless of our needs...

I'm all for trading down and pickng the BPA instead of reaching for a player at 13 who could come in here and bust.

Yeah Vinny knows he is on thin ice..BFF with Synder or not. He is either going to pick someone that will start from day 1. Like you said he won't reach with the 13th pick. A bust this year and he is gone...IMO Kelly will be a huge bust and that falls at the feet of Vinny as well. He needs to make a splash this year.

(I know it is realy bad writen english, if you don't get it.....say it and I will try to chance it something ya better understand).

Heck it is better than some I have seen here, and you have an excuse. BTW, you could not understand me if I wrote in say,,,German. Velcomme?

Yeah Vinny knows he is on thin ice..BFF with Synder or not. He is either going to pick someone that will start from day 1. Like you said he won't reach with the 13th pick. A bust this year and he is gone...IMO Kelly will be a huge bust and that falls at the feet of Vinny as well. He needs to make a splash this year.

A bust at 13 in just not acceptable.

we've been good with our top picks but a statement like that is just silly. every year there are more busts than breakthrough players. the draft is one big gamble, because until they put on the pads in the NFL no one knows how they'll pan out.

Tom Brady didn't stand out at Michigan. Detroits WRs were freaks in college (of course i'm not including Johnson because that kid is everything he was in college).

It's more about luck than scouting. But you need to have a lot of both. Teams that draft well tend to have a lot of picks every year so if 1 player becomes a star it's a good draft. Ours last year so far is 1 out of 10, now i'm not saying it's ready to be judged, but if Horton starts for the next 7 years that was a successful draft.

franchise players are hard to come by any means, that's why there are so few of them

This even further supports the idea of trading down.

I just hope we can find a trading partner. I thought Vinny did a nice job with this last year by picking up additional picks...I however didn't like what he did with those picks..after you take Devin..why Kelly? I guess Vinny wanted to pay for his knee replacement surgury.

I think you've mis-read the line you quoted.

The contract for this year's 13th pick will fall in line with the the contract of this year's top choice to Jake Long's deal with the Dolphins.

That's saying the relation of the top pick's contract to Jake Long would be the same as the relation of this year's #13 to Stewart.

In other words:

If this year's #1 gets Long's contract plus 5%, then this year's #13 would get Stewart's contract plus 5%.

The line you quoted was poorly written, and it could also be wildly incorrect-If a QB is the #1 pick, he will get way more than Long, as QB picks always get a lot more. That won't have any kind of trickle-down effect on later choice. Say Stafford is the pick and he gets 150% of Long's deal, that doesn't mean the #13 pick would get 150% of Stewart's deal.

I'm still hoping and praying we work a trade out with Denver in some description for Cutler, and doubtless if we do, we won't have that #13 pick.

But yeah, the money getting paid to rookies is nuts, particularly when you consider it's not even a top 10 pick, and could well go on a line man if we keep hold of it.

Hail.

*Btw wilco, your written English is better than a lot of other posters on here, so don't be self conscious man. I understood your post fully. :cheers:

(I know quite a few Dutch lads that actually speak better Scouse than I do, being their first real introduction to English speaking people outside of Holland was coming over for L'pool games. It's quite funny to listen to them.).

while I think the Cutler talk is ridiculous on all levels you should know Denver is more interested in players than picks.

we've been good with our top picks

I used to think this as well until that poll came out this week asking who was our best / worst first round pick. Here are our first and second round picks under Snyder...

1. Lavar Arrington

1. Chris Samuels

1. Rod Gardner

2. Fred Smoot

1. Patrick Ramsey

2. Ladell Betts

2. Taylor Jacobs

1. Sean Taylor

1. Carlos Rogers

1. Jason Campbell

2. Rocky McIntosh

1. Laron Landry

2. Devin Thomas

2. Fred Davis

2. Malcolm Kelly

On Draft Day, Vinny Cerrato will look at Oher and A-Smith, but will look at other talent at other positions regardless of need. He will select the most athletic talent who can help the team, as he said he would on many occasions.

If you doubt this logic, think back to the '07 Draft when Washington's team need was pass rush. (Some things never change).

Mock drafts that year showed strong sentiment for defensive ends Gains Adams and Jamaal Anderson, or defensive tackle Amobi Okoye. Who did the Skins select with the sixth pick? LaRon Landry.

Landry was thought to be not only the best safety in the draft, but the best defensive player at any position. Cerrato and Joe Gibbs had to face down low level fan wrath for the choice, but Landry's play and tragic events showed the wisdom of the move.

If the real draft by real GMs plays out the same as the mock drafts, the best talent on the board won't be an offensive lineman.

Danny VinZorn will use that pick for someone else.

This is why I think mock drafts are overblown. Mock drafters rank each position and have a general overall board, then go pick by pick and say, "well this team needs OL help" or "these guys just lost their #2 corner so they'll definitely take a CB". Mock drafts just way oversimplify the decisions and then everyone acts shocked when a guy gets picked way earlier or way later than the "experts" thought he would go.

The pick that makes the most sense doesn't necessarily have to be at a position of glaring need, but it's also not necessarily the BPA. Take a guy that you are confident will be a good player and will fit well with what you are trying to build. Have an overall plan and then adapt it to fit with what's available.

Which would explain why he never chooses OL for his first pick. After all, other than "Mr. Roid" Mandarich, when is an OL ever the best athlete? Maybe the Redsins would be more successful if Vinny would try picking the best football player instead of the best athlete?

Originally Posted by SWFLSkins

From Tiger....

we've been good with our top picks but a statement like that is just silly. every year there are more busts than breakthrough players. the draft is one big gamble, because until they put on the pads in the NFL no one knows how they'll pan out.

I disagree Tiger, our top picks under Sndyer have been good-- but not great. I think at 13 they should have a good feel for the guy or trade down. NO Gambles is what I meant. If the guy flops, yeah that happens without seeing it. The FO should not reach for someone unless he reallys excels come game time. Last years picks did not impress me, three second rounders, almost zero impact last season. Yeah they can still come on this year, but really 3 #2's and no impact whatsoever? That stinks.

I certainly do Sir, thank you.

But given the lack of players we have to offer, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see some high picks leaving if this trade materialises.

Hail.

Then what on earth makes you think we'd still be in the running? If they want players, and other teams are offering them players, why on Earth would they say "Oh, lets trade with the Redskins, they're not giving us what we want but Gibbs Hog Heaven really wants to trade so lets do it".

Realize this - if Denver want's players, if we could only offer picks, we'd have to increase the relative cost (READ: MORE picks) to entice them.

Archived