Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: MD to Ban Texting While Driving(Merged)

MattFancy

my only question is how will they be able to tell if you were texting, reading, or dialing a phone number? are they going to ask to look through your phone when they pull you over? if thats the case people will put their texts on auto-delete so no one could read them. i think its a good idea, just not sure how they will be able to tell what you are doing

my only question is how will they be able to tell if you were texting, reading, or dialing a phone number? are they going to ask to look through your phone when they pull you over? if thats the case people will put their texts on auto-delete so no one could read them. i think its a good idea, just not sure how they will be able to tell what you are doing

if you've got a phone with a qwerty keypad, I'll be easy to tell.

useless law. it's nearly impossible to impose. not to mention everyone down here south of the Potomac knows that once you cross that bridge, Maryland cops are a joke. if they won't stop me for speeding through the state they sure as hell aren't gonna waste their time pulling me over because I got a phone in my hand. how can they even tell I'm texting in the first place? I'm damn good at it, and understand why'd they have such a law, but still, a waste of time

useless law. it's nearly impossible to impose. not to mention everyone down here south of the Potomac knows that once you cross that bridge, Maryland cops are a joke. if they won't stop me for speeding through the state they sure as hell aren't gonna waste their time pulling me over because I got a phone in my hand. how can they even tell I'm texting in the first place? I'm damn good at it, and understand why'd they have such a law, but still, a waste of time

Maybe it will at least stop people that choose to obey the law.

Losers. :laugh:

It's the same thing. You are still concentrating more on your phone than on the road.

That leaves it up to the officer's judgment to decide whether I'm in violation of texting or not. Which pretty much means I can get pulled over for having a phone in my hand.

even at a stop light? or in non-moving traffic?

Those people are the ****ing worst. I honk at at least 1 person every single day because they cant even pay attention to the goddamn light. TEXTING ISNT THAT ****ING IMPORTANT. Whatever you have to text to someone isnt even important enough to actually call that person. You can wait until you get where you are going.

Those people are the ****ing worst. I honk at at least 1 person every single day because they cant even pay attention to the goddamn light. TEXTING ISNT THAT ****ING IMPORTANT. Whatever you have to text to someone isnt even important enough to actually call that person. You can wait until you get where you are going.

but that would mean someone would have to be alone...without being in contact with someone else..even for a short period of time.

We can't have that.

yeah, but its not like that texting is gonna lead to an accident or me swirving while driving. I can understand the restrictions on texting while "driving", ala while the car is in motion. But if the car is at a stop, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I mean, I find it much more distracting when the person in the car ahead of me has tvs in the back seat of their car that I can see from my car, and if they're watching a good movie :doh: Its so distracting!!! And that can lead to me getting into an accident a whole lot more than texting while at a stop light.

Wow....how do you suspect someone is texting while driving? Do people put there hands above the steering wheel to text? I always text while the phone is in my lap, how is anyone possibly going to see that? I can text without looking at the phone as well.....doesn't disturb my driving.

Here's an idea.

Vlingo.

It's a talk-to-text app. And it learns your speech the more you use it. You can send text, e-mails,voice dial, even voice Google with it.

yeah, and watch the one time it messes up will be the time I'm texting my girl saying "I'll be a little late" and it'll write "I'll be on a date".

Nah, just let me type it myself.

Here's another idea.

How 'bout veteran drivers, like myself, be licensed to shoot texting drivers on site. There could even be a reward for ridding the planet of morons. Also, the dumb**** nimrods that read books, or the paper, while driving. Talking on a cellphone would be permissible, provided that the perpetrator could at least maintain the posted speed limit, or better yet, keep up with the flow of traffic, while doing so.

Now women, who like to put their makeup on driving down the road would be different. The pretty, single ones, would have to perform certain, acts, on demand. The not so pretty single ones, would have to get one of her pretty single friends to perform the...well, you know.

The married ones, would have to admit to their husbands that they were wrong, about, SOMETHING, everyday, for a week!

Brain damage, causes texting while driving.

I'm in favor of the law based on its intentions, but I would hope there would be provisions to let this not happen to people who are stuck in traffic (not moving, that is) or at a red light. It should be strictly a moving violation.

There have been many times when I've been on the road and have had to send an update to someone letting them know where I was and when to expect me if they were waiting to meet up.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived