Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: MD to Ban Texting While Driving(Merged)

MattFancy

Whatever, you only know that cuz you have kids, making you an old man!

Actually though, I was trying to remember what my friend's daughter was playing freaking 24/7 on a houseboat trip this summer and couldn't think of it. Now I know, DS. I've learned my "something new" for the day...I can now rest peacefully. :silly:

and i've done my good deed. now i can be a prick all day. :wave:

Sometimes we use common sense to pass laws like this too.

Curious though, would you have a problem with me driving down the interstate playing my gameboy?

Yeah. It's dangerous and stupid. Do I think a cop should pull you over and fine you $100 even if you didn't cause an accident? No. If the cop saw you driving erratically, he could pull you over in most places anyway.

We already have laws against driving recklessly. If somebody texting breaks those laws, go after them. If somebody can text and keep it safe on the road, leave them alone.

Yeah. It's dangerous and stupid. Do I think a cop should pull you over and fine you $100 even if you didn't cause an accident? No. If the cop saw you driving erratically, he could pull you over in most places anyway.

We already have laws against driving recklessly. If somebody texting breaks those laws, go after them. If somebody can text and keep it safe on the road, leave them alone.

I see your logic with that, but that's like saying if someone is a good drunk driver then let them drive drunk.

I see your logic with that, but that's like saying if someone is a good drunk driver then let them drive drunk.

They're different situations. The cop isn't going to find the drunk driver who can keep his vehicle straight, unless its at a checkpoint or something. The cops is going to pull you over because your driving suggested you might be drunk. The cop still has to see some bad driving to catch the drunk drivers. It should be the same with texting. If somebody is swerving all over the road because they're looking at their phone, pull them over and give them a reckless ticket.

can you really make an argument that there is such a thing as safely texting while driving?

maybe dodging bullets while texting while driving, but not safe, imo.

Yes its more dangerous than being completely focused. So is eating, talking to a passenger, finding a CD, flipping through an iPod, etc. But some people are better than others at doing those things and paying attention to the road.

They're different situations. The cop isn't going to find the drunk driver who can keep his vehicle straight, unless its at a checkpoint or something. The cops is going to pull you over because your driving suggested you might be drunk. The cop still has to see some bad driving to catch the drunk drivers. It should be the same with texting. If somebody is swerving all over the road because they're looking at their phone, pull them over and give them a reckless ticket.

I feel like that's the only way you will catch the texters. Unless you are texting and a cop is right next to you, I'm not sure how they would know. I think there should be a law against texting while driving, but I just don't know how they will find out. Even if they go through your phone, I still don't know how that will work. I have a blackberry and use blackberry messenger, its like an IM. I don't think those would show up on a bill so how could they track that?

Yes its more dangerous than being completely focused. So is eating, talking to a passenger, finding a CD, flipping through an iPod, etc. But some people are better than others at doing those things and paying attention to the road.

but daddy, he's doing it too!!

texting while driving is bad. yes, other things are bad. that doesn't take away from the fact that texting while driving is a very dangerous (stupid, too) act and it shouldn't be legal for sake of everyone else on the road.

Yeah, and again you really shouldn't be doing those when you're driving. I wouldn't mind if you were just a danger to yourself, but you're a danger to others when you're texting on the road. I'm not even for, talking on the cell phone while driving... seems like every idiot driver I pass is on their cell phone.

I don't want to come across as sexist, but I hear the argument from women a lot... "oh we're better at multi-tasking." Um, you're not supposed to be multi-tasking when you're driving.

• 1 year later...

Looks like soon it will be illegal to read texts while driving...

The House of Delegates has approved a ban on reading text messages while driving that would broaden a writing and sending prohibition the legislature passed two years ago.

The Senate, which debated the proposal yesterday and today, is set to weigh final approval on Monday. Today, Sen. Allan H. Kittleman abandoned his attempt to include not just electronic messages, but newspapers. The Howard County Republican offered the amendment to draw attention to the many ways drivers can be distracted.

He also offered a tongue-in-cheek amendment to ban eating while driving. It failed 6-41.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/2011/03/house_passes_textreading_ban_s.html

Now I understand texting while driving, but if you can't read texts, should you be able to read your GPS? So will they ban GPS's next?

Looks like soon it will be illegal to read texts while driving...

Now I understand texting while driving, but if you can't read texts, should you be able to read your GPS? So will they ban GPS's next?

The two are pretty different. You can glance at a GPS and have a good idea of what you need to know. Also, it's an instrument that keeps you focusing on getting to your destination. I would assume by "text messages" they mean everything on your phone. I get e-mails on my phone from my work and personal account. I could be reading a 3-paragraph e-mail in my car under this umbrella of "text messages". That's much more dangerous than glancing at your phone/GPS device to see that you have to turn left in half a mile (not to mention there is an audio feature on those devices).

Archived