Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: The Six Greatest Black Quarterbacks of All Time

Thinking Skins

This is not a thread to talk race relations. I'd be happy to talk about those concepts in the Tailgate. But in the stadium, lets stick to football.

You are absolutely correct his is not the place to talk race in. But this is a thread about black QB's. That is what I wanted to talk about based on this story.

I thought threads were where you are suppose to talk about a subject. This thread just happens to have race in it. So I feel I am justified about talking about race. Now if I were to say spanish people should not race cars then yes I think that that conversation should be moved into the tailgate.

You are absolutely correct his is not the place to talk race in. But this is a thread about black QB's. That is what I wanted to talk about based on this story.

I thought threads were where you are suppose to talk about a subject. This thread just happens to have race in it. So I feel I am justified about talking about race. Now if I were to say spanish people should not race cars then yes I think that that conversation should be moved into the tailgate.

You miss "Thinking Skins"'s point. The subject of the article was "The Six Greatest Black Quarterbacks of All Time" not "The Six Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time are Black". Had it been the latter, then your post would have been more appropriate to the thread.

You miss "Thinking Skins"'s point. The subject of the article was "The Six Greatest Black Quarterbacks of All Time" not "The Racial Background of the Six Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time". Had it been the latter, then your post would have been more appropriate to the thread.

well since race was brought up before I believe my addition to the thread goes right with the subject in the thread. Now should this probably be a thread in ATN. I think so but D Williams is in so that is fine I am assuming since the mods have not locked it.

This thread is about the article. and actually it is a duplicate from "years ago". While reading this the thought entered my mind and I wrote what I was thinking about.

But I will follow your lead by saying that you went off topic to tell me I was not appropriate by discussing race. And now to respond to your post I am going away from the subject.

So in turn you did help me to break the topic of this thread.

well since race was brought up before I believe my addition to the thread goes right with the subject in the thread. Now should this probably be a thread in ATN. I think so but D Williams is in so that is fine I am assuming since the mods have not locked it.

This thread is about the article. and actually it is a duplicate from "years ago". While reading this the thought entered my mind and I wrote what I was thinking about.

But I will follow your lead by saying that you went off topic to tell me I was not appropriate by discussing race. And now to respond to your post I am going away from the subject.

So in turn you did help me to break the topic of this thread.

Eh? I was only pointing out what I believe to be 'Thinking Skins' point. I'll let him defend his response to you. In any case, was your entire idea to throw off the thread by your op? :whocares:

Back to thread: Nice to see DW on the list and remember some moments while reading the article. Oh, and Vick sucks.

Doug Williams was one the list of "Worst QBs to win a SB." What's he doing on this list?

Seeing the second quarter highlights of that Superbowl paints D. Williams in a very rosy light. But he wasn't a great quarterback. That was the first superbowl I ever watched and I thought he was a god. But my father said "no, he had a shaky career before that game." Sure enough, he was pedestrian most of the time. So he is mainly on this list for a longer career and a ring. But compared to other ring-wearing QBs.... despite the 4 TDs in a quarter in the big dance... he was below average.

So yeah. There have only been 110 black quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. (website on all things black and quarterback). And most of them were never starters. So the best black QB list is going to be a short one....

Here's to JC joining that list when he wins us our 4th and 5th championships.

How can he win us 4 and 5 when this is his last year? :)

Under the right circumstances, Cunningham would not only have been the greatest black QB ever, but one of the greatest QBs period.

Now way. Cunningham is a severely overrated QB. He had a strong arm but he made Leftwich look like he has a quick release. Cunningham wasn't that accurate and who care is he threw over 3000 yards 6 times. JC threw for 3500 and we are talking about him not being the future QB of this team. Running as a QB is a severely overrated feature. The QBs that can be considered the greatest were good in the pocket...Manning, Brady, Montana, Marino, Favre...Elway and Young could run but were also pocket passers.

Dear Sirs,

michael vick is a special QB, regardless of your thoughts of him off the field....he belongs on that list. same thing with OJ....ill put him on greatest rb lists, im only talking about what they did on the field. dont care for vick as a man b/c im too partial to dogs, but id put him #2 behind Moon.

mcnabb should be on there too, but i dont know who to bump, maybe briscoe but just b/c i never saw him play.

Vick was never a special QB. He was a special runner. He could make big plays with his legs but he didn't make players better. Look at what White did without him and Jenkins is finally starting to show something for them.

Another thing overlooked when the Falcons were winning was how well their defense played. They pressured the QB and made big plays on defense.

I think you are discounting how dynamic of a runner he was...Atlanta was basically running a wishbone variant with Vick, Dunn & Norwood....the guy was a revolutionary talent, and won a bunch of games with basically no talent at Wr, and that Atl D wasnt much either. His only recieving threat was Crumpler, but Vick could throw a laser.....if he had Mike Quick and Chris Carter to throw to...who knows.

And to your Barry comment....hey, he couldnt have been any worse of a QB than Scott Mitchell was....Det might have been better off just direct snapping him the ball.

He had Alger and White. Atlanta's D played very well while Vick was there. They got to the QB and forced TOs.

Vick had a great arm but was extremely inaccurate. I still remember when he overthrew Crumpler in the end zone from the ten yard line. It was such a bad pass, you could have stacked Wilt ontop of Kareem, on top of Shaq and they still wouldn't have reached the ball.

Are you serious? Did Trent Dilfer throw 4 TD's in his superbowl?

Williams: 18 of 29 passes for 340 yards, with four touchdown passes, and was named Super Bowl MVP. Nor was the Skins D as good as that Ravens teams' D. Skins had a vastly superior offense of course.

Dilfer: 12 completions for 153 yards and 1 TD

I'm not saying Doug was a great QB of all time or anything..but that Superbowl performance was tops..Dilfer's wasn't even close. Otherwise Doug was just an average QB, sometimes worse..but you can't take that day away on the ultimate stage, and he lit it up when it mattered most.

Dilfer took his team to the playoffs. Williams didn't play much in the regular season. I think we would still win the SB that year with Schroeder. I don't think the Ravens win with another QB on their roster that year.

Kind of sad about Doug Williams. He got beat and banged up while playing in TB. Had we had him in his younger days with our OL, the sky would have been the limit with him. Was so happy to see him win a SB with us. Jay S. was a stuck up player that no one on the team cared for to much. Thank goodness JG has the sense to finally play Williams instead of Jay.

Kind of sad about Doug Williams. He got beat and banged up while playing in TB. Had we had him in his younger days with our OL, the sky would have been the limit with him. Was so happy to see him win a SB with us. Jay S. was a stuck up player that no one on the team cared for to much. Thank goodness JG has the sense to finally play Williams instead of Jay.

I loved Doug Williams, man wore his heart on his sleeve was a true leader and walked everyday with us and still does with NO cartilage in either knee. God bless him.

Dilfer took his team to the playoffs. Williams didn't play much in the regular season. I think we would still win the SB that year with Schroeder. I don't think the Ravens win with another QB on their roster that year.

Excuse me the TEAM took Dilfer to the SB and won not the other way around and he would be the first to tell you that.

Uhhhhh, what?

No way in hell. The Ravens would've won with anyone at quarterback with that defense. Hell, I don't even remember them HAVING a quarterback that year.

Williams had the best game in Super Bowl history. He played the best game in the biggest game. To compare him to Dilfer is ridiculous.

On the race question in this thread: we all categorize all the time, best left-handed QB, dumbest Cowboy QB, best Redskin OT, best OU football player, best singer on Idol, best Redskins to wear number 55. It's just a way to narrow the scope of the discussion. It doesn't mean those outside of the scope are less worthy or less worthy of discussion. It's just a conversation tool and not necessarily a plot to denigrate a race.

On leaving McNabb out: Yeah, I read the "Active Player only" criteria. But most good discussions occasionally stray from the original topic and I can't think of "black QB' or "QB" without picturing McNabb. He's NFC East where my beloved Skins play. And if it was a question of class, pure and simple, he'd be on everybody's list. As an Eagle, is he fun to hate or what? As a man, what a class act.

On the actual list with the active player only classification: Warren Moon #1, hands down.

JMHO.

Archived