Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: The Six Greatest Black Quarterbacks of All Time

Thinking Skins

Here's an article that seeks to answer a question that was in Tailgate a few years ago, "Who is te greatest Black QB of all time?" I wasn't sure if I should put it in ATN or in Stadium, but since our man #17 is on the list, I figured Redskins fans may want to debate about it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/135732-the-top-6-greatest-black-quarterbacks-of-all-time

6. Doug Williams

The only black QB to win a Super Bowl and a Super Bowl MVP had a less than spectacular career before it. Williams played a few promising years for the Bucs before leaving the NFL to play for the USFL's Oklahoma Outlaws due to a contract dispute in Tampa.

He returned a year later to Joe Gibbs' Redskins, initially backing up Jay Schroeder. After Schroeder went down with an injury several times during the season, Williams impressed Gibbs enough to be named the starting quarterback throughout the playoffs.

Williams led the Redskins to Super Bowl XXII, and torched the Broncos 42-10 while throwing 18-of-29 for 340 yards and four TD passes. For his amazing effort, he was named Super Bowl MVP.

Doug Williams' Super Bowl glory cannot be forgotten, but his stats didn't exactly stack up next to the greatest. In his career, Williams threw for 16,998 yards, and 100 TDs next to 93 INTs. On top of that, his career passer rating was a mediocre 69.4.

But his legacy is far more important, and his Super Bowl win opened the floodgates for black quarterbacks everywhere.

I have a great fondness for Doug Williams and what he did that year. Some people just have their specific time to shine and that was his. :applause:

1 - 3, I have no qualms with and would agree (considering that he isn't including active players). But Vick at 4? Vick was (is?) no QB, he was a RB who threw the ball every once in a while. My question is whether Vick is that high because the writer thinks he is that good, deserves it for his running, or if there has been such a low number of black QBs?

Danny Wuerffel could post a career completion percentage of 53.8 and a QB rating of 75.7. Vick was a good athlete, just a ****ty QB.

Vick was also the first guy to win a game in Lambeau field. Wasn't it him against McNabb in the NFC championship game in 2001 or something like that?

I don't know if I'd put Vick at #4, but Vick was a really good QB. He was carrying that team on his back. Vick may have been trying to be a 21st century Cunningham, but whats wrong with that, as Cunningham is #2 on the list?

Not to make this sound like a Campbell defense, but he had no help on offense other than Alge Crumpler. Vick ran because he had to. He didn't even have a line protecting him. I'm not saying that Vick was the most accurate passer, but he could win games.

Vick was also the first guy to win a game in Lambeau field.

That doesn't mean a thing.

From a recap of that game:

"In the first half, the Packers had a punt blocked that resulted in a touchdown, muffed a punt that led to another TD, missed a field goal and could not convert a 1st-and-goal at the Falcons 1. Favre also threw an interception in the opening quarter.

Favre never was able to get into a rhythm and finished 20-for-42 for 247 yards with a touchdown, two interceptions and a lost fumble. Afterward, he exited Lambeau Field without addressing the media."

He was 13-of-25 passes for 117 yards. He also carried 10 times for 67 yards. I'd call that a defensive/special teams win.

<Good Points>
I'd counter with the fact, IIRC, that they really built the offense around that fact that Vick ran the ball all the damn time. You don't have to have the greatest OL if the QB is always at risk of running the ball for a ton of yards - you just have to have them block for just long enough. Same goes for the WRs - although he had Jenkins and White (2004-2006), who have both blossomed under Matt Ryan.

I'd counter with the fact, IIRC, that they really built the offense around that fact that Vick ran the ball all the damn time. You don't have to have the greatest OL if the QB is always at risk of running the ball for a ton of yards - you just have to have them block for just long enough. Same goes for the WRs - although he had Jenkins and White (2004-2006), who have both blossomed under Matt Ryan.

But its like Clinton Portis said this year, what he wouldn't give to have a line like Larry Johnson had or like Shaun Alexander, or like LT. Those things matter. QBs get quick feet in the pocket when they're used to their line not blocking for them. It happened to Ramsey and Carr. The only difference between them and Vick is that Vick can run, so if the line breaks down he can rely on his legs to get the first down.

As far ar Roddy White and Malcolm Jenkins, I think its similar to what we have with Thomas and Kelly. They were young under Vick and weren't progressing. I think they were both averaging about 500 yards per season under Vick. Now all of a sudden White has put up back to back 1000 yard seasons. Was it a maturity thing, or was it a problem with him and Vick? I don't know, but I don't think Vick would be looking away from him, and I find it hard to believe that Joey Harrington is a better QB than Vick.

Doug Williams was the Trent Dilfer of his day. (although DW had a much better supporting cast)

Are you serious? Did Trent Dilfer throw 4 TD's in his superbowl?

Williams: 18 of 29 passes for 340 yards, with four touchdown passes, and was named Super Bowl MVP. Nor was the Skins D as good as that Ravens teams' D. Skins had a vastly superior offense of course.

Dilfer: 12 completions for 153 yards and 1 TD

I'm not saying Doug was a great QB of all time or anything..but that Superbowl performance was tops..Dilfer's wasn't even close. Otherwise Doug was just an average QB, sometimes worse..but you can't take that day away on the ultimate stage, and he lit it up when it mattered most.

Archived