Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Daniels Video Comeback Training

Soup

I know Daniels is in good shape and the fact that Blanche loves him as a player, but he is old for a DT/DE and doesn't play the way he did a few years ago. We need to cut ties with him, IMO. We need to look at the draft for an upgrade as there are not any decent DE's available.

great pr move.

i dont get why we didnt play Daniels more at DT...you know he'll sign for pennies, give him another shot.

Dude is basically begging to come back. No other team is showing interest in him and he and his agent know that his only landing spot is here.

Damn! Squatting 505 lbs means your knee is probably in pretty good shape.

Exactly, I didn't think Daniels could have returned at 36 after coming of an injury but he looks like he's in good shape. I just hope the redskins start picking up some DE players just to have a camp.

I know Daniels is in good shape and the fact that Blanche loves him as a player, but he is old for a DT/DE and doesn't play the way he did a few years ago. We need to cut ties with him, IMO. We need to look at the draft for an upgrade as there are not any decent DE's available.

I can completely understand that and I kinda agree with you. I worry about not having enough players to take to OTAs and mini camp. I don't want the redskins to go into training camp with a handful of 3rd string DEs and think one of them will be a starter. I just want Daniels back just a precautionary measure.

I agree. But I say we sign him for the Vet minimum as he has always been stout against the run. And bring in our rookie DE on 3rd down plays.

Keeping in good shape, eating well, etcetera, are probable reasons why his recovery has been so good. We don't know how he really is, though, until we see how well he can cut when going after a runner or a QB.

I say bring him back, providing he passes his physical. He's a guy who can play DE or DT and that flexibility in a rotation is huge. He's also a quality "team-guy" that wants to be here. And even though he is getting up there in years, it is not like he went through a year of football punishment to his body last year since his injury (which looks pretty good judging by the weight he's able to squat) took place so early.

i hope we bring him back. a lot of guys would have retired after such an injury at that age.

plus, he is STILL responsible for the greatest Redskins photo of the past 5 years:

jpeg.jpg

he quite literally looks like a monster in that shot

When doing squats correctly, which he does, they put very little stress on your knees. Not saying his knees aren't healthy, because I'm sure they are.

I'd like to bring him back since I think his performance will exceed what he will cost... but these videos do not prove to me that we can rely on him to be healthy. He had even more impressive videos of his offseason power lifting competitions last year and then he got injured right off the bat in football practice. Football is different than lifting weights, and he has been injured for much or all of most seasons for many years now... so somehow, his excellent workout habits are not translating into a sturdier football body.

If we look at our DEs right now you have:

definite keepers: Carter

promising depth: Buzbee, Jackson, Wilson

Regardless of signing Daniels, we will need to sign a proven DE or draft a top DE prospect that we can expect to stay on the field all season. Given that we will probably need 5 DTs (Haynesworth, Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, and Alexander) because we can't realistically count on Griffin and Haynesworth making all 16 games -- that means we will probably have to lose one of our less proven prospects (Buzbee, Jackson, or Wilson). I'd be OK with that, but signing Daniels would mean losing a second of these three, and there I start to get more reluctant.

We just signed the best DT in football. We need to compliment that with a good group of players around him. AC was horrible last year, so to say he's the answer at DE remains to be seen. With Albert he should improve, but we need another starting DE.

This video shows PDaniels squatting. It doesnt mean he can run, cut, or withstand constant pressure on that injured knee. I like PD. He's a great locker room guy, but he's beyond his time in the NFL. Make him a strength and conditioning coach.

Erakpo does those squats with no one behind him while he sleeps. Youth Movement FTW!

We just signed the best DT in football. We need to compliment that with a good group of players around him. AC was horrible last year, so to say he's the answer at DE remains to be seen. With Albert he should improve, but we need another starting DE.

This video shows PDaniels squatting. It doesnt mean he can run, cut, or withstand constant pressure on that injured knee. I like PD. He's a great locker room guy, but he's beyond his time in the NFL. Make him a strength and conditioning coach.

Erakpo does those squats with no one behind him while he sleeps. Youth Movement FTW!

You're exactly right. This video doesn't prove much other than that he is a workout warrior aka gym rat. He always keeps himself in shape. This doesn't negate the fact that he's old and can't pressure the QB (can't force TO's).

Unfortunately we are limited in what we can do, so unless we draft a DE starter ie Orakpo I expect Phillip back to come back and play like his old self.

Archived