Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Agent DE options for the Skins

Braxford

-I would like to have daniels back. I think he is ready for anouther good year!!

-I would have said draft O-Line in the draft till we got Doc back, and I will still say that if the skins think Reinhart isnt ready to go and can play well for us this year. If he is ready to step it up then the O-Line should be fixed. And if that is the case then we should draft the best avalible D-end.

Why do non mod's on this board feel the need to make comments like this to people. It's not ur board, the mods aren;t gonna like u any better for saying this. WHo cares if other ppl post a thread that is similar to the others. If you dont; like it, just ignore the thread and go to the other one that u feel is the more proper thread to post in.

I agree...if you see a thread you don't like, how about not clicking it and posting in it? There's a scroll bar for a reason.

Jason Reid is saying we are looking for a "veteran" DE. I just do not understand anymore with the FO of this team seriosuly. If we get an old fart instead of Igor, I am gonna stop caring.

It's not about picking up "any old fart" it's getting a guy who fits our scheme.

The fact that Igor has played a 3-4 DE his entire career would lead me to believe he doesn't fit our scheme.

It's more then just "plugging" people in. It has to make sense in a scheme sense.

Draft Urakbo. Why? because he's nasty. No more free agent D linement

You know why we wont draft him???????????????????????????

BECAUSE HE WONT BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chair:

Why do people think we have a chance of landing Orakpo???? He will be gone within the first 10 picks. And if not the first 10 picks, he will be selected within the first 12.

Aaron Curry(LB)

Brian Cushing(LB)

Ray MAualuga(LB)

Brian Orakpo(DE/LB)

Everette Brown(DE)

Aaron Maybin(LB)

Michael Johnson(DE)

There are alot of options for Defensive Line. What does everyone think about these group of guys?? Who should we take?

(It would be crazy if we had Igor at DE and picked up Raji to line up with Haynesorth....Madness)

Aaron Curry(LB)

Brian Cushing(LB)

Ray MAualuga(LB)

Brian Orakpo(DE/LB)

Everette Brown(DE)

Aaron Maybin(LB)

Michael Johnson(DE)

There are alot of options for Defensive Line. What does everyone think about these group of guys?? Who should we take?

(It would be crazy if we had Igor at DE and picked up Raji to line up with Haynesorth....Madness)

First things first... Curry and Orakpo will not be available when we pick at #13. Of the remaining guys on your list, I would not consider Michael Johnson with the 13th pick. So that leaves the other four guys. At LB, I would actually prefer Cushing over Maualuga...Cushing is a natural OLB, and I think Maualuga is more of a MLB. With a still outstanding, if not old, London Fletcher and a young heir apparent in H.B. Blades, we really have no need for a MLB. Plus, I really like Cushing. Maybin is a great pass rusher, but he is seriously undersized, and he's just a little too much of a gamble for my liking. Everette Brown is an intriguing DE. He has great production, and great ability to get after the QB, but he, too is on the small side. He also is from Florida State, and that is not a good thing for a D-lineman. Seminole lineman are notorious for be being NFL busts. Not a huge concern for me, but it might just be enough to tip the scales in a different direction.

So, after all of that, my pick would be Brian Cushing! I really hope this is our pick, actually, barring a trade down, which would be my best case scenario. We definitely need to address DE and RT, though, and I hope free agency helps out in one of those areas!

If BJ Raji is there we take him in a heartbeat....

that kid is going to be good.

I perfer a RT and OLB later

It looks like the FO has a plan for DE as they were already planning on moving JT to SAM before his release.

I am still for signing Willis Crowell and Olshansky and taking the best player available

If BJ Raji is there we take him in a heartbeat....

that kid is going to be good.

all this raji talk. did you guys forget we got albert haynesworth? you didn't? well did you forget that we were the number 4 defense in the league and number 8 against the run? we earned that stats with guys like cornelius griffin, kedric golston and anthony montgomery? golston and montgomery are young and developing. next to big al, i think we're set at dt.

First things first... Curry and Orakpo will not be available when we pick at #13.

So, after all of that, my pick would be Brian Cushing!

How do you know the draft class already? Remember when Brady Quinn wouldn't be available past number 5? Sure thing's don't exist in the draft.

I wouldn't mind having Orakpo, but I think he'd fit better as a 3-4 OLB rather than a 4-3 DE or LB. He's a freak, but I can't see him fitting our system.

As for Cushing, he's basically maxed out. His body can't get stronger or faster. And as is, he's not even the best in the class. I think Rey Mauluga has the speed to play OLB for a few years while he learns the defense then can take over as MLB. I'd love to have him this year and get a stud DE next year to replace Andre Carter.

As for Cushing, he's basically maxed out. His body can't get stronger or faster. And as is, he's not even the best in the class. I think Rey Mauluga has the speed to play OLB for a few years while he learns the defense then can take over as MLB. I'd love to have him this year and get a stud DE next year to replace Andre Carter.

Also remember that Cushing has a pretty extensive injury history. That alone might tempt me to stay away.

all this raji talk. did you guys forget we got albert haynesworth? you didn't? well did you forget that we were the number 4 defense in the league and number 8 against the run? we earned that stats with guys like cornelius griffin, kedric golston and anthony montgomery? golston and montgomery are young and developing. next to big al, i think we're set at dt.

Haynesworth can play that DE too

that is more what I was thinking

Watching replays of him lining up at DE are some of the best...a poor LT has no idea what to do. Raji is an amazing talent.

I wouldn't consider him unless we signed FA's to fit those needs...

There is no forgetting that we signed haynesworth....I am just trying to create matchups

We need to Sign Crowell and Willis ASAP with that 12 million

Then we can go after a DE in the draft, there is Orakpo, Brown, Michael "Boom or Bust" Johnson, etc.

I agree. You read the board's threads, lets get a DE, lets get a LB, lets get OL. Well we only have 4 picks and only 1 of those in the first 2 rounds so we have to pick our spots.

The Giants are stockpiling D lineman like crazy and young ones, they got Osi, Kiwanuka, Tuck, their D tackles like Robbins are decent but they add to that Canty and Bernard. They were stacked and they didn't feel like they had enough.

When we start stockpiling D lineman as opposed to Wr's watch out. Scary thing about the Giants is those guys are young

Orakpu does not fit at DE for us. Our LE needs to be bigger and play the run better. Bringing him in does nothing to make us better and will enhance the risk of him busting with us.

Now if we even have a chance to get him, he will be a LB for us. Not a DE. What we need is a Canty type of DE. One that can collapse the pocket and can stop the run. I am not talking about nifty sack moves, but a nasty straight football player.

When I heard that they kicked taylor out I thought to myself, why didn't they do this earlier? Canty would have came and signed or Antonio smith would have came in for a visit. Now there is no one out there and the best move would be to resign Evans AND Phillip Daniels.

Bring both of them back and hopefully land Orakpo with that 13th pick if they can't get Orakpo at least they have some options at DE. I don't like that the redskins are just waiting around and not signing back Evans and Daniels. They need to sign these guys back just for the sake of having bodies for Camp.

If the skins could have just spent one of those three 2nd round picks on a Dline or Oline player last year and have kept that 2nd round pick they traded to Miami these Problems at DE, LB and OL would have never been an issue.

I still think the skins should have picked Calais Campbell last year. Instead they picked a TE and a WR with knee problems. Seriously how did vinny become a GM

Orakpu does not fit at DE for us. Our LE needs to be bigger and play the run better. Bringing him in does nothing to make us better and will enhance the risk of him busting with us.

Now if we even have a chance to get him, he will be a LB for us. Not a DE. What we need is a Canty type of DE. One that can collapse the pocket and can stop the run. I am not talking about nifty sack moves, but a nasty straight football player.

When you have a line with carter on one end, and haynesworth in the middle, anyone fits. Teams would be so worried about doubling haynesworth that Orakpo could really do well and become a dominant end. I hope he's there for us.

golston and montgomery are young and developing. next to big al, i think we're set at dt.

agreed

I wouldn't mind having Orakpo, but I think he'd fit better as a 3-4 OLB rather than a 4-3 DE or LB. He's a freak, but I can't see him fitting our system.

agree for the most part, but ... IF he is there you take him. he is a beast and you figure out how to get him on the field. I think he will be just fine as a DE in a 4-3 ... surely he played a 4-3 scheme in high school most likely, he is a FREAK and shouldn't be passed on due to categorizing him solely based on the scheme he played in college. Not saying you are doing that, just a general comment on my part.

totally agree, Ray can play MLB or OLB (we need versatile players too) ... he has the natural athletic ability to run sideline to sideline ... sure he'll have to adjust to our scheme, but I believe from watching him play that he allowed others around him to be great and made that defensive back 7 tick. That being said I wouldn't be against Cushing, I just think he is a little too hyped up IMO.

Hail!

Free Agent DE I'd look at:

Julius Peppers (might be worth a trade, next year's first and a late round this year maybe?)

John Thornton (DT ?) Could be good depth if monty or golston don't get back to us....

Possible LB

Derrick Brooks (Is rather old but has 14 years experience, not sure he plays the Strong side though)

Ray Lewis (I know he's more of a MLB, but could he work on the Strong side? Would be sweet to take him from the ravens :D)

Hey, Could cut Collins and sign a REAL backup like say... Leftwich?

Craig Hentrick (Place kicker 15 years experience) is listed as still being available if we wanted a better Place kickerThat could be an idea, wonder who else is a FA Place kicker.

John Carney (too old I think)

Jay feely

Mike Nugent (although I thought I just asaw him signed)

Mat Stover (19 years may be too old.)

(Sam Koch, Chris Hanson, Hunter Smith punters)

OT

OT MarK Tauscher of the Packers is still listed as a UFA.

None of the other OT names really jump out at me

As far as Running backs, I see that JJ Arrington is listed as an UFA from Arizona

Some other names on the list:

DeShaun Foster

Deuce McAllister

Free Agent DE I'd look at:

Julius Peppers (might be worth a trade, next year's first and a late round this year maybe?)

John Thornton (DT ?) Could be good depth if monty or golston don't get back to us....

Possible LB

Derrick Brooks (Is rather old but has 14 years experience, not sure he plays the Strong side though)

Ray Lewis (I know he's more of a MLB, but could he work on the Strong side? Would be sweet to take him from the ravens :D)

Hey, Could cut Collins and sign a REAL backup like say... Leftwich?

Craig Hentrick (Place kicker 15 years experience) is listed as still being available if we wanted a better Place kickerThat could be an idea, wonder who else is a FA Place kicker.

John Carney (too old I think)

Jay feely

Mike Nugent (although I thought I just asaw him signed)

Mat Stover (19 years may be too old.)

(Sam Koch, Chris Hanson, Hunter Smith punters)

OT

OT MarK Tauscher of the Packers is still listed as a UFA.

None of the other OT names really jump out at me

As far as Running backs, I see that JJ Arrington is listed as an UFA from Arizona

Some other names on the list:

DeShaun Foster

Deuce McAllister

Just to reply to this message, Peppers will take way more than that to get. Panthers would insist on our 13th pick. Also Peppers wants equal or more money than Haynesworth, that is not happening. What a risk that would be to have 2 players who have questionable motors and injury concerns possibly handicap your team if they don't perform at a high level. As for your next post Monty and Kedric who we both tendered are most likely back to us. Doubt anyone gives them a serious offer and if they do we will definitely match at least 1 if not both.

As far as Ray Lewis no way that happens. He is already slow as a MLB as SAM he would be awful. The Ravens 34 which gets so much pressure and the fact he has 3 LB's beside him helps hide that he has lost a step. Bad bad idea especially since he's looking for a contract in the 3 year 27 mil range.

Also Leftwhich is not looking to be a backup. He will hold out for a starting spot even if it means he won't be on an NFL roster at the start of the season like Culpepper. Also Leftwhich in a WCO is an absolute joke. He has the slowest wind up delivery in the NFL, his receivers will be out of bounds before he ever delivers the ball. He can be successful in a more traditional play action based pro style offense, but in a WCO he would be awful.

I would love Sam Koch but the Ravens will definitely match any offer for him especially since they haven't spent any of their big cap room yet and still would have plenty if they got Ray Lewis back.

As far as Tauscher he is old and over the hill. Why would we sign another Jon Jansen, no thank you.

JJ Arrington signed with the Broncos I believe, one of the 100 backs they have signed already. And as far as RB's go unless Betts is cut or traded we won't be getting any RB. Too much money invested. Portis is one of the highest paid RB's in the league, and Betts is one of the wealthier backups.

Archived