Braxford

Aaron Curry(LB)

Brian Cushing(LB)

Ray MAualuga(LB)

Brian Orakpo(DE/LB)

Everette Brown(DE)

Aaron Maybin(LB)

Michael Johnson(DE)

There are alot of options for Defensive Line. What does everyone think about these group of guys?? Who should we take?

(It would be crazy if we had Igor at DE and picked up Raji to line up with Haynesorth....Madness)

Aaron Curry(LB) - Will be long gone. Yes, a great fit for a 4-3 strongside LB, but Detroit's even considering him #1 overall.

Brian Cushing(LB) - Seems like a hard worker, but has had injury issues. Didn't perform well in his workouts at the combine despite reports of a detailed regimen to prepare. Could be a 3-4 or 4-3 guy. Possible speed concerns.

Ray Maualuga(LB) - Played inside at USC, would have to move outside. Can be a bit overagressive at times. Can he stay disciplined enough in our scheme?

Brian Orakpo(DE/LB) - Great measurables and production at Texas. Really a guy I hope the Redskins can take because he can be a playmaker at multiple spots on the defense. However, will he be comfortable being a standup LB, as speculated based on his interview w/the Skins at the combine?

Everette Brown(DE) - Another outside pass-rush guy. Best fit for a 3-4 scheme to play in the role of a Ware or Merriman (don't think he'll be as good as those though).

Aaron Maybin(LB) - Played at DE at Penn State, despite being only 230-235 lbs. Can he make transition to being a stand-up strongside LB? Put on 20 lbs before combine, will he still have the athleticism at that different weight level? How are his coverage skills if he is a 4-3 SLB? Might be best as situational pass-rusher only early in his career.

Michael Johnson(DE) - Great athleticism and size combo at 6'7", 266 lbs with 28 reps and 38.5" vertical at combine. Kind of a prototype speed rusher DE. Has the ability to be a Jason Taylor (in his prime) type player due to his skill set. However, probably the riskiest of all the prospects. Disappeared in games in college. Should have had much more production that the resulting stats showed. Ran out quite a few times on running plays, as he'd always just try to use his speed to get to the QB. Limited set of pass rush moves, relied on athletic ability mainly.

When you have a line with carter on one end, and haynesworth in the middle, anyone fits. Teams would be so worried about doubling haynesworth that Orakpo could really do well and become a dominant end. I hope he's there for us.

We would only be so lucky. I think he'll be gone by then, some predict to the Browns.

Haynesworth can play that DE too

that is more what I was thinking

Watching replays of him lining up at DE are some of the best...a poor LT has no idea what to do. Raji is an amazing talent.

I wouldn't consider him unless we signed FA's to fit those needs...

There is no forgetting that we signed haynesworth....I am just trying to create matchups

I hear you, but we need offense BAD............Our defense is fine, we can make additions later, we were top 5 last year, our offense was HORRIBLE, even when we were winning those games early in the season. We need to make some additions toward our offense ASAP.

Brian Orakpo(DE/LB) - Great measurables and production at Texas. Really a guy I hope the Redskins can take because he can be a playmaker at multiple spots on the defense. However, will he be comfortable being a standup LB, as speculated based on his interview w/the Skins at the combine?

According to what he said he has played 4-3 DE and 3-4 LB at Texas. Given his skillset I wouldn't hesitate to say he could probably be very good at both.

Because Orakpo played well in both the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes during his college career and because his numbers improved each year despite a variety of roles, he sees himself as a player who can pay immediate dividends.

"Right end, left end, 'Sam,' 'Will' [weakside linebacker], 'Mike' [middle linebacker] - 3-4 or 4-3 - it's doesn't matter," he said. "I'm not a guy who they have to project and or say has the potential to play the 4-3 or 3-4 - I've played in both. I've done it."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/22/redskins-keen-on-orakpo/

all this raji talk. did you guys forget we got albert haynesworth?
Part of the advantage to having AH is the doubles and triples he will draw. That will leave at least 1 other DL with 1 guy to beat, and that guy might even be a RB. We need somebody who can beat 1 guy lined up next to AH. I'm not sure he's on the roster yet.

What do you guys know about Kalimba Edwards ?

Hes 29, 6'6", 265 lbs had 5 sacks last year for the Raiders.

Any word on the street?

I watched him play at South Carolina. He alternated between DE and LB and was good enough to be selected in the 2nd round. I haven't heard much about him in the pros, but in college he was a dominant pass rusher. Lou Holtz loved the guy.

Part of the advantage to having AH is the doubles and triples he will draw. That will leave at least 1 other DL with 1 guy to beat, and that guy might even be a RB. We need somebody who can beat 1 guy lined up next to AH. I'm not sure he's on the roster yet.

Andre Carter is no slouch, he is not as consistent as I like though. He did have 10.5 sacks in 07 and can get around the edge.

Since I believe the Redskins will trade back if "there" guy isn't that at 13 (which I believe is either Orakpo, or Ray Maualuga).

Then I think Clay Matthews Jr. is a very intriging propsect in a trade back scenerio. This kid is quietly shooting up draft boards.

He's got 4.6 speed, and a bloodline full of family football players. He's definetly a guy that I'd like to be see taken if we WERE to trade back into the 20's.

Ray Maualuga supposedly made quite the impression on Vinny during Senior Week, so if he's there at 13 and Orakpo isn't I believe he will be the choice.

Kevin Carter

Born: September 21, 1973

Miami, FL

Height: 6-6

Weight: 305 lbs.

Pos: DE

Experience: 14 years

College: Florida

Insider Analysis

Grade 64

Expert's Take: Carter has been with four teams in his 14 seasons in the NFL. He is a consistent starter even though he is getting on in years. He has excellent size for the position and is a good athlete with adequate speed off the edge. He no longer is the pass-rushing terror he was in his prime, but has become more effective versus the run. He understands blocking schemes and is a good technician when taking on blocks and working his way to the ball. He does a good job of feeling pressure and fighting his way to the ball with leverage and strength. He can't simply accelerate off the edge to pressure the pocket, but he knows how to counter and throw multiple pass-rush moves together. He has a tendency to play a bit high, but does a good job of defeating and shedding blockers. He shows good lateral range and is quick to locate the level of the ball. He takes good angles, brings solid leadership and still has value.

Vonnie Holliday

Born: December 11, 1975

Camden, SC

Height: 6-5

Weight: 285 lbs.

Experience: 11 years

College: North Carolina

Insider Analysis

Grade 67

Expert's Take: Holliday is an 11-year veteran who has been a durable, consistent performer throughout his career. He is a versatile athlete who has played both defensive end and tackle during his time in the NFL. He has the size, strength and athleticism to fit in a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme. Holliday has some diminishing skills, but still possesses enough agility, quickness, speed and power to be a productive defender along the line. He understands hand use, pad level and angles to leverage blockers effectively. Holliday tends to play too high and will give ground at times versus power zone-blocking schemes. He has deceptive power to collapse the pocket when pass rushing but is best when working an edge of his opponent. Holliday still runs well and shows range in pursuit, but he's best-suited to be a backup at this stage of his career

Michael Montgomery

Born: August 18, 1983

Carthage, TX

Height: 6-5

Weight: 273 lbs.

Experience: 4 years

College: Texas A&M

Drafted: Year:2005 Round:6 Pick:6, Packers

Insider Analysis

Grade 61

Expert's Take: Montgomery is had his best season of his four year career. He has improved his run-stopping ability with added strength and bulk, but doesn't have elite pass-rushing skills. He is a high-motor defender who wins with effort and quickness, but he still needs to develop his hand use and pass-rush package coming off the edge. Montgomery has improved his reactions to blocking schemes and leveraging the football. He has very good range in pursuit and can run down ball-carriers from the backside. His burst and speed shows flashes of a bright future. He has also been decent on special teams and has the tools to develop in the coming years as a 4-3 defensive end. Montgomery appears to have a high ceiling and will likely be re-signed.

The longer the Redskins go without signing a DE the more clear it becomes, imo, what conclusion they've come to. Be prepared to see the Skins toss in either their latest pick or picks from next year in order to move up and grab Orakpo (or something else with minimum chance of failure).

It only makes sense. They can't afford to gamble any further. They would be better off drafting 1 sure fire stud than rolling the dice 4 times.

As far as FA.. i believe the FO comes up with this stuff as they go. We shall see. The moneys there.

I don't understand some people's thinking. We rated 4th in defense and just signed two big time free agents. We were like 24th on offense and have signed....Aldridge??

We did sign Dock, but need a RT and a OC wouldn't be bad either. They can get address in the draft.

I don't understand some people's thinking. We rated 4th in defense and just signed two big time free agents. We were like 24th on offense and have signed....Aldridge??

But as the thread title says, this is a discussion about defensive ends.

So what is wrong about talking football?

Archived