Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall, Haynesworth, and Dockery...What's Left?

Commander Adama

If the Skins don't acquire an immediate upgrade at Right Tackle before the draft or with the 1st round selection, the signing of Haynesworth and Hall will be absolutely worthless.

Yes, worthless. 8-8 team or worse until we shore up the weakest part of the team. Simply put, even with those two guys signed, this team isn't good enough to simply win with defense. The offense must improve and it simply won't with Heyer/Jansen doing their half assed best at tackle.

Oldskool is wrong. Heyer is fine. Its Jansen who is old and slow.

Heyer started the season off fine. He played well until he got injured and then Jansen took over and he was torched as usual by all speed rushers. That has nothing to do with Heyer. Heyer will be fine as the right tackle.

Its the INTERIOR of the line that is the problem, and that is why the Skins went out and signed Dockery and why they will be drafting several more offensive linemen with picks in the draft. Randy Thomas' may start this year but his replacement is on the way.

I'm with Oldskool. We don't have anything close to a good right tackle on the roster. Heyer is not fine. He is a mediocre pass blocker and a terrible run blocker. Jansen is beyond done. He is stealing money at this point.

They should sign the best free agent they can afford and draft one as well.

address Oline, DL and LB depth.
Agreed, except I would now put LB just ahead of DL depth. No matter what, we need to get some up and coming OL in the system. They may not have to be day 1 starters. But that would be nice. A Starting level YOUNG RT, whether thru the draft or otherwise, would go a long way towards Vinny's rehabilitation in my eyes.

I'm splitting hairs...but I'd rather add some OL in FA (even if they aren't studs) and get a game-changing LB at 13.

I agree with your post. You have to give Jansen another year at RT and whoever his backup is. LB or DE is the the way to go. I personally like Larry English, if he is there at the 13th pick.

I would like to add a nice placekicker or punter before the draft, but I don't see that happening.

Agreed with the punter. We have a nobody at punter. If we don't go after Hunter Smith in FA, I will be disappointed. He is only 32 years of age, has alot of punting life left and can hold for the placekicker. I don't see us going after a PK in FA as their really isn't any good talent available. Hunter Smith is a no brainer. We should sign this guy to a 3 or 4 year contract sometime w/in the next couple of weeks. JMO.

Definitely changes the complexion of the draft by what was done in FA. "if" AH plays to the level he's been playing I'll forget about the huge money spent on him and enjoy the pay off of sacks, fumbles and int's we sorely need.

I think we def need to go OT in the draft best guy u can get, and pick up a linebacker and a homerun rb.

I agree with this, OL first and yes get us a speedy back to go with portis...should help our O a lot....would be nice if we can trade down and maybe even trade Betts if anyone wants his ass

I'd tale a LB and a DE then OL, thats what are our needs right now. even if you have a average offense if your D keeps stoping the other team and giving you the ball you gotta score even if its FG's. killer defenses have carried average offenses before so thats where you build. we are just a few pieces away from great team. we just gotta make sure they play together and want to win just as bad as we the fans do!

Honestly ... I hate to say it .. kicker and punter.

I'm not a hater either, I always bragged about my black and yellow skins hat signed by Shuisham, and the quality time he gave me to talk to him face to face. But he actually lost us some real good chances last year, it seems almost as if his leg loses power as the year goes on. It makes me sad, he needs to really impress or we need to bring in some legit competition. He had bad statistics last year as well.

I think the best LB available, we just need a versatile linebacker that can fly to the ball.

Completely agree: Orakpo if he drops is a steal and Mauluga is a straight stud out of USC. If one of these two guys is available, we should be all set. Otherwise, an OL should drop and pick up Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe.

Oldskool is wrong. Heyer is fine. Its Jansen who is old and slow..

Sorry proscout, youre off your rocker. True, Jansen is an abomination when it comes to pass blocking due to age, wear and tear, but Heyer can't run block. He is so bad at run blocking that before he was replaced with Jansen last year, the Skins stopped running to his side. It's a fact, go look at the tape.

Neither player has starting material stuff, there is an absolute need to upgrade there. OLB is a great choice for a 3rd round pick, but immediate impact is what's needed on the O-line, not LB corps.

If the Skins don't acquire an immediate upgrade at Right Tackle before the draft or with the 1st round selection, the signing of Haynesworth and Hall will be absolutely worthless.

Yes, worthless. 8-8 team or worse until we shore up the weakest part of the team. Simply put, even with those two guys signed, this team isn't good enough to simply win with defense. The offense must improve and it simply won't with Heyer/Jansen doing their half assed best at tackle.

I'd leave that up to Bugel and Zorn to decide. If they think Heyer has or will improve, I don't see why not. If he can step up, we would still need more depth though. Right now, it looks to me like either linebacker or OT is the way to go.

Well with the line the way it was last year, do you think it was all JC or was part of it the line and we need to give him another year? If you think it was JC, are you saying we should draft a QB?

I think we certainly should give Campbell one more shot because I do believe that part of his lack of success was the o-line, but when attending games I saw things that you dont always see on tv, things that give me the gut feeling that he just doesnt have 'it'. He deserves another shot with a better line and only his second season under yet another new scheme. Im just hoping he plays well, Ive been a skins fan since I could walk and its unbelievable to me that we've never really had a franchise qb, aside from JT, and we all know his career got cut short. That said though, I dont think we need to draft another qb unless its in the latter rounds and Zorn doesnt think Colt has the potential to be a starter. Its a tough deal, glad Im not the one having to make all the decisions. What do you think?

All we need to do is trade down and possibly back up later for:

OT William Beatty - We have our RT and LT of the future

LB Clint Sintim - Marcus's replacement and better pass rusher

CB Morgan Trent - Morgan takes over when Carlos leaves next season

C/OG Andy Kemp - Solid OL capable of playing two positions and leaving us with three young Guard's with potential in Kemp, Devin Clark and Rinehart.

That would be a solid draft IMO...

Sign Willis and Crowell. Then on draft day we have endless options. OT, LB and DE are the places we need to look for talent. I think only one if any of the 4 OTs will be there at 13. My choice is Maualuga. If we dont sign Crowell he can move to OLB for a year or 2 until Fletcher retires (I dont think Blades will be our future MLB). Laurinitis is a bad fit here. Sintim would be an ok replacement for MW too. Overall I see it coming down to Maualuga, Orakpo or an OT. Id take Maualuga at #13 and in the 3rd id take Jason Watkins from Florida to play RT.

Yea there are Tackles we can pick up in the second. I doubt Orakpo will still be on the board at 13 after his workout at the combine. Rey could be there if so get him if not trade back and get Cushing and get a OT and C with our third and the pick we get from trading back (hopefully a second rounder but even another third would be great)

and NOT another TE....

My feelings exactly!!! What a waste (using our 2nd overall pick) Grabbing a TE. Sorry but we already have a pro bowl TE that pick shoulda been for a DE.

We need to stick to the needs, and the D line has been a dire need for too long, followed by O line. Seems like the same line that was watching P. Ramsey pick his but up off the ground every other play!!!

Archived