Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Non-Redskins Fans Opinion of Haynesworth Deal?

slaga

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It would be foolish to not acknowledge that he is one of the most talented defensive players in the league and an absolute monster at one of the game's most important positions. He dominates games and forces offenses to manipulate their game plan around him. Total stud.

Except for contract years, he has been below average and has also missed 20percent of games since joining the NFL.

Except for contract years, he has been below average and has also missed 20percent of games since joining the NFL.

I'm aware. I'm also aware of the considerable investment and the huge potential for disaster here. But he was, without a doubt, the most talented player in this free agent class.

We've learned many times over that free agency is as much of a crap shoot as the draft, but without as much upside.

I'm aware. I'm also aware of the considerable investment and the huge potential for disaster here. But he was, without a doubt, the most talented player in this free agent class.

We've learned many times over that free agency is as much of a crap shoot as the draft, but without as much upside.

I think the risk/reward scale is way out of whack for the amount of capital invested. Who knows, it might work out for the Skins. I wouldn't bet on it.

Not a chance. Dallas hit the Jackpot with Brad Johnson baby!!!! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I voted 'wait and see' though I now think that I probably should have voted 'yes'.

I think that it's a reasonably sound gamble for the Redskins. If healthy and playing to his potential, he is definitely a game-changer. He fills a HUGE area of weakness for the Redskins and he signed while he's young. To me, those things add up to a killer deal (regardless of money)

I also think that the money wasn't that big of a deal. Each year we see contracts that shock the hell out of us. This year is no different. When we move into the upcoming years we will see other ones that make this one look like a good deal (think Demarcus Ware). I don't think that this will handicap the Skins as much as the D. Hall deal will. You get more value per dollar at a D-Line position than you do at the cornerback spot. D-Line and O-line are, in my opinion, the most important non-QB positions. The rest of the skill players can be schemed into being good.

Now..the only things that would make me nervous:

I would think that it would be hard (at least this upcoming year) to play to the same level that he did in a contract year. When you've got a big payday coming up you're likely to give every thing you can to maximize the results. he did that but I doubt that he can sustain it. Not that he doesn't *want* to..it's just that it's hard to stay so focused and dedicated for such a long period of time.

Character/Health. The dude is a little crazy (see Gurode and previous incidents). While he'll never end up in jail, I would be concerned that he might miss a few games during his stint in Washington due to overzealous stomping on opposing players. I'd also be worried about his health. He rarely plays a full season. However, so long as he's around towards the end of the season/playoffs, who cares? Let the guy miss a couple during the early part of the season.

P.S. I hope he fails.

It would be foolish to not acknowledge that he is one of the most talented defensive players in the league and an absolute monster at one of the game's most important positions. He dominates games and forces offenses to manipulate their game plan around him. Total stud.

You'd think that, after reading this, it's obvious that you voted "Absolutely, yes"... but you voted otherwise. Interesting. :)

I think its a great move on their part. The guy is the best interior defensive lineman in the NFL, of which most Skins fans will admit was one of their biggest weaknesses.

So what if the contract says $100 million. The real number is $41 million guaranteed (if wrong please correct me). I don't think he'll ever sniff that $100 million for most players in the NFL anymore are released before their contract is up.

Some people bring up the injury factor, but that goes for every player, not just Haynesworth. On any given play a team's best player can go down for the season.

As a Cowboys fan, it disappoints me to see him sign with the Skins.

I am the OP. So far it is 2:1 "for the signing" by fans of opposing teams. I think this might "justify" the signing in the eyes of opposing fans. Those that "wait and see" carry very little faith in their own opinion.
It seems like the overwhelming majority of people who voted "absolutely yes" were Skins fans.

What upside could you possibly hope for with Haynesworth. He's already the most dominating defensive force in the league. The only thing you hope for is that he stays healthy and keeps working. I don't think anyone thought there was "upside" or potential with this signing.

I voted wait and see and that is the correct answer.

1) This isn't the normal high-profile signing of the Redskins so there should be optimism. This is the best defensive player in the NFL and he occupies and beats double and triple teams on every play. He deserves to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

There will be natural trepedation from Redskin fans because of our history of flops in FA. This is different but still has question marks.

2) This was a lot of money to shell out in a league that has a salary cap, especially on a player that is frequently injured. That is where our concern should actually be.

He also has work ethic issues...historically. Considering I don't know this first hand, I'll just mention it.

His character is something we should like. A DT needs to be mean and hateful. Contrary to popular belief, playing with a chip on your shoulder is a good thing.

3) In a league that currently has a salary cap but for only one more year, this may not be a bad signing whether it works out or not. This is the biggest plus for our team.

4) People keep mentioning what this did to our depth but it really hasn't done anything. Nobody here knows what our current cap situation is right now. Aside from that, we are deep in the secondary, deep on the Dline, deep at DE, deep at WR (questions but wouldn't have been addressed in FA anyways), deep at QB, deep enough at RB, and even deep on the Oline (contrary to popular belief).

The only place we are not deep is LB. The problem is there aren't any really good, non 3-4 LBs in FA this year.

At our positions of need (DT, Oline, and LB), this FA class wasn't very good. As it turned out, we got the best DT in football and the best guard (for us) in FA.

People don't think we are deep at Oline but we are...we just aren't very good on the line. Dock just made us much better.

I voted wait and see and that is the correct answer.

1) This isn't the normal high-profile signing of the Redskins so there should be optimism. This is the best defensive player in the NFL and he occupies and beats double and triple teams on every play. He deserves to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

There will be natural trepedation from Redskin fans because of our history of flops in FA. This is different but still has question marks.

2) This was a lot of money to shell out in a league that has a salary cap, especially on a player that is frequently injured. That is where our concern should actually be.

He also has work ethic issues...historically. Considering I don't know this first hand, I'll just mention it.

His character is something we should like. A DT needs to be mean and hateful. Contrary to popular belief, playing with a chip on your shoulder is a good thing.

3) In a league that currently has a salary cap but for only one more year, this may not be a bad signing whether it works out or not. This is the biggest plus for our team.

4) People keep mentioning what this did to our depth but it really hasn't done anything. Nobody here knows what our current cap situation is right now. Aside from that, we are deep in the secondary, deep on the Dline, deep at DE, deep at WR (questions but wouldn't have been addressed in FA anyways), deep at QB, deep enough at RB, and even deep on the Oline (contrary to popular belief).

The only place we are not deep is LB. The problem is there aren't any really good, non 3-4 LBs in FA this year.

At our positions of need (DT, Oline, and LB), this FA class wasn't very good. As it turned out, we got the best DT in football and the best guard (for us) in FA.

People don't think we are deep at Oline but we are...we just aren't very good on the line. Dock just made us much better.

I disagree. I don't think he's the best defensive player in the NFL. No one beats double and triple teams on EVERY play. His history of missing games also leads me to conclude he doesn't deserve to be higher paid then say an Ed Reed, DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, or even an up and comer like Patrick Willis.

But...its not my money. So the money doesn't really matter to me. But the guy is a beast and when healthy and motivated, can be considered one of the best.

Archived