Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

<---Just ignore it. A lot of you already have. Really. There's no need to click here.

TK

Bubba, JJ, Hap, ES > JLC. Even JLC admitted that he fell asleep while waiting for the Haynesworth signing.

Couldn't be said any better... It's that important to them so someone will get banned from making threads??? It's hard to tell if its a joke too, with the title "Just ignore it. A lot of you already have. Really...etc..."

Glad I checked in

There seriously needs to be a crack down on stupidity around here. It's gotten to an unbelievable level.

Every locked thread or "I had to show you how dense I am" MET you see on the front page is a step in the right direction.

Every locked thread or "I had to show you how dense I am" MET you see on the front page is a step in the right direction.

Yeah but it seems like the mods are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stupid floating around here lately. Maybe hire someone else?

I would gladly take the job if offered.;);)

Yeah but it seems like the mods are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stupid floating around here lately. Maybe hire someone else?

I would gladly take the job if offered.;);)

I hear that, but ES has been a stupid magnet for a while now. I cannot comprehend how they deal with it constantly but I am glad they do. Don't envy them one lil bit.......

If you look at the chaos, these mindless threads are always started with guys with single or maybe double digit posts - in other words, noobs. I think part of the problem is only us regulars are reading threads like this one. Noobs don't see these, for some reason. Maybe automatically emailing the OP of all Read Me threads to all noobs who have been at the site for less than a year *OR* have less than 100 posts - maybe that would work. I don't know. But today was not a good day.

Edit: I just hit 7,000. I guess I get a new avatar now, huh? :)

I learned this about the stadium with the very first thread I created. I was told it was already made, I got uppity and the NNT came a callin'..

I dont even bother trying to make a thread in here any more unless it is a "question about..." thread.

I learned this about the stadium with the very first thread I created. I was told it was already made, I got uppity and the NNT came a callin'..

I dont even bother trying to make a thread in here any more unless it is a "question about..." thread.

you just made a thread ya big liar!!!!! :D :saber:

If you look at the chaos, these mindless threads are always started with guys with single or maybe double digit posts - in other words, noobs. I think part of the problem is only us regulars are reading threads like this one. Noobs don't see these, for some reason. Maybe automatically emailing the OP of all Read Me threads to all noobs who have been at the site for less than a year *OR* have less than 100 posts - maybe that would work. I don't know. But today was not a good day.

Unfortunately there is a lot of the tumult caused by people that SHOULD know better, maybe not the witless threads but the boobery going on in them. The guy tossin gas and fannin flames can be as bad as the one with the match.

Look at this one for example. This guys starts a new thread with this post:

Terrell Owens is in Old Ebbitt right now.

That's it. That's his thread and that's his post. No link, no clue, no hint as to where this is coming from. He just throws it out there like 83,000 members on the team's official forum are supposed to embrace his info like it was the word of God. This is a guy with a total post count of 19. When members ask where the info comes from, which per the rules he should have added in the first place, the guy responds in post 22:

You don't have to believe me, don't care. You see I never post, but he's in there. I don't care who denies what or comes out later saying what never happened. He's in Old Ebbitt.
That's his justification of the thread: "I don't care."

So everybody goes ape****, and we end up with 9 pages - 130 posts in one hour. For what? :doh:

Threads like this are basically how the whole afternoon went.

Edit: I just hit 7,000. I guess I get a new avatar now, huh? :)

I think you're right that many of the problem threads are by the newer posters. Something should be done, doesn't have to a BIG change, just a tweak would probably do the trick. One of the things you mentioned or to require a certain number of posts to start a thread. Another to consider would be a screen delineating the rules on starting new threads and encouraging the thread-starter to search first, perhaps including a checkbox to "confirm" ;) that they read and understand thread-starting procedures.

BTW, that 7k avatar is a doozy. Getting close to a grand myself, wonder what that gets me? :cool2:

Those are good ideas, but unfortunately, I am not sure vBulletin gives us those kinds of options.

It should. I have moderator experience with vB, and admin with IPB. I know that with IPB, you can set it in certain forums to where you have to have a certain post count to start threads. Also, you could make posting groups (like Role Player, The Gadget Play, etc) able to not post threads up until a certain one (100 would be a good one.)

I imagine it's the same for vB. I know that you can set it to a certain post number to view a forum, and I imagine that if IPB lets you do it, then vB would as well.

When I first joined, I started a couple of threads in the Stadium which I later came to regret. It became quite clear to me that I needed to use discretion when posting new threads to the Stadium. Lucky for me, the mods didn't take it out too hard on me and I am still a member and can start new threads if I choose to. Check my thread starting history if you'd like, you can see that most of the threads that I start are in the Tailgate after I made the mistake of starting threads in the Stadium.

I would be all for a minimum post count before starting threads. I don't know what that would do for the place, but it seems like a very good idea.

Archived