Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft: HAYNESWORTH WANTS TO PROVE THE “NAYSAYERS” WRONG

twenty-eight

How are they ripping off other peoples work if they cite their source?

And Florio even did a nice little write-up for this one:laugh:

he posted his own write up based solely on this women's work, so no one will need to read the original.....

at least he is now referencing the source, but still the same

and people here will link to PFT, instead of the original article... allowing PFT to get the hits, not WUSA :doh:

Tommy Kelly's deal last year was 7yrs/50.5 million with a little over 18 million guaranteed. 25 million of that will come in the first 3 years. Made him the highest paid DT in NFL history.

Are we really going to give Haynesworth a deal worth double that?!? :doh::shot:

his contract must be really, really big for him to come and do this interview to cover his a**. like really big, way bigger than anyone else is offering.

From what i've read about the situation, there is more to a Haynesworth deal than money that gives the Redskins a really advantageous position to sign him.

First, he wants to stay in a 4-3 defense if possible, so that rules out a lot of AFC teams and the Cowboys and Packers.

Second, he wants to stay as close to his home in Tennessee as possible. Remember, he went to college at UT also.

And finally, he wants to play for a team that has a shot at making the playoffs, which is a mark against the handful of rebuilding teams like the Lions.

All of that, plus the fat ass contract he will likely sign as a Redskin make Washington a good destination for him on his side.

I am thinking the whole thing is a sham, or we just dont know the details. 100 million is speculation at best. I bet if it is even 3/4 that, there will be a lot of conditions. If he does not produce so many sacks/tackles/etc, if he is the cause of undue negative attention etc...

I know we want to think that Danny and Vinny are outrageously retarded, but I am sure there are plenty of people out there who will at least try and cover their ass at this point.

I just hope it isn't 100 million, lol.

If he does come here, I'll bet the contract is something like 6 years, 60 mill, with 25 guaranteed, or 7 years, 70 million, with 30 guaranteed. I don't see how the Skins could afford 100 million, and these numbers here, which are low-end guesses, are going to be tough unless the Skins trade or release Springs tomorrow, along with a couple smaller players like Thrash, AND restructure another player or two.

If Haynesworth is coming to Washington, then we should see a couple more cap bolstering moves, like Springs being cut or restructures, tomorrow, before free agency starts at midnight. I think we are currently 9 million under with the extra 3 mill thanks to the expanded total cap, but 9 million isn't enough to get big Al here, and re-sign players and fill the roster and sign rookies. Springs would net us 6, so we'd be 15 under, but even then I don't think it's enough to bring Haynesworth in and take care of the rest of the roster. I'm thinking we'd still need to be another 5-10 million under.

well this place should be pretty exciting for tomorrow night. As far as PFT and Mike Florio..god he's trying to dish out some media hate on us, but at the same time it seems almost as if he's falling back because he's getting a ton of traffic to which he can't be to hurtful.. :D

We're probably 2/6th of his traffic.

If he does come here, I'll bet the contract is something like 6 years, 60 mill, with 25 guaranteed, or 7 years, 70 million, with 30 guaranteed. I don't see how the Skins could afford 100 million, and these numbers here, which are low-end guesses, are going to be tough unless the Skins trade or release Springs tomorrow, along with a couple smaller players like Thrash, AND restructure another player or two.

If Haynesworth is coming to Washington, then we should see a couple more cap bolstering moves, like Springs being cut or restructures, tomorrow, before free agency starts at midnight. I think we are currently 9 million under with the extra 3 mill thanks to the expanded total cap, but 9 million isn't enough to get big Al here, and re-sign players and fill the roster and sign rookies. Springs would net us 6, so we'd be 15 under, but even then I don't think it's enough to bring Haynesworth in and take care of the rest of the roster. I'm thinking we'd still need to be another 5-10 million under.

Just as a note, because this is the last year of the current CBA, there is a max of 5 years on contracts and signing bonuses can only be spread over 4 years. Plus, the 30% rule is in effect. For that reason, the rumored $100m for Haynesworth was never a realistic number.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I don't think we are getting Haynesworth and we will get a few smaller names.

Well I'm on record as being against acquiring Albert Haynesworth because I don't think he'll ever be able to live up to the speculated contract numbers, but if these rumors turn out to be true, I hope his contract is more in the 4 or 5 year variety.

Just as a note, because this is the last year of the current CBA, there is a max of 5 years on contracts and signing bonuses can only be spread over 4 years. Plus, the 30% rule is in effect. For that reason, the rumored $100m for Haynesworth was never a realistic number.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I don't think we are getting Haynesworth and we will get a few smaller names.

100 million is definitely a gross over estimation, but the kind of money Haynesworth is talking about is at least 60 mill, and at least 25 guaranteed, IMO. So if the contract can only be 5 year deal, I really don't see how we can afford Haynesworth, unless he gets a ton of guaranteed money upfront, but even that I'm not so sure will alleviate the cap hit enough if big Al is coming to town. We'll know in 24 hours or so, I guess.

Im glad he's addressing this but in 2005 the Titans D was ranked 19th and in 2006 32nd. In his final 2 "contract years" they were ranked 5th and 7th. Im sure there are other factors that play into this other then the effort level of Haynesworth and I hope Vinny has done his homework to identify them. Regardless I am scared to death he might put it in cruise control if and after we sign him, but if he didnt, good lord our defense will be sick.

he is coming here i have never in my life heard of a free agent doing interviews with media outlet before free agency on the chance of being here and life in Washington

And you have lived in DC for how long?

Everyone wants a piece of the Commander-in Chief of All Overpaid Players....Danny Snyder.

If you overpay, everyone wants to come here.....and if you make it like you are going there, other teams might think they have to pay more for the same player. Isnt it strange that players stay in DC and are never seen at Redskin Park? Those are the players that are trying to up their value. All this is well known here on ES. We have seen alot of players like him that never met with anyone at RP but had pressers in DC.....If we dont overpay he might be a good risk but I worry about his taking seasons off, like Andre Carter.

We need a DT like him on our line. Especially as big as Dallas's line is. He will be the best runsupport for those fourth qurter, drive stopping plays we desperatly needed in 3 or 4 games last year.

Agreed. While I hope we don't end up paying 100 Million he is an absolute beast and his presence would immediately upgrade our line. NFCE Guards can pretty much all handle Golston, Monty, and nowadays Griff one on one. You just can't single team a guy like Haynesworth. He is too powerful. It will give us a push up the middle (so QBs don't have enough time to step up in the pocket, have tea, read the paper and then pass) and free up our guys on the edge.

This does throw a monkey wrench into my theory on all of this Haynesworth stuff.

Some speculated (logically) that it was Haynesworth's agent just throwing this 100 million dollar number out there (along with the Redskins name) to drive up the price for the "real" teams that are going to go after Haynesworth.

I thought it was the opposite. I thought it was some other team out there throwing that number into the public arena so that come Friday when the Redskins don't offer that contract, Haynesworth will be disappointed and feel "slighted" by the Redskins not making the offer that has been reported that he'll immediately dismiss them as a suitor. Yes the tin foil fits nicely on my head.:)

But now that Haynesworth is doing an interview with a local station BEFORE free agency starts. It sure does look like either the people are right and it's the Haynesworth side that is trying to drive up the price or the rumors are in fact true and the Redskins are about to commit 100 million dollars to Dana 2.0.

He seems like an interesting guy.

I remember after getting suspended for the stomping on a cowboy thing, how he went and took specialized classes on how to use his rage to his benefit and he did. That's why he has played better and better through his career.

He really does seem to care about his craft.

Archived