Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Skins FA Buzz (Canty)

Rypien1191

(One other thing related to the offensive line: I know a lot of you like Jets guard Brandon Moore, who will be released for cap purposes. However, the Skins have given no indication to this point that they will be in the hunt for the 27-year-old. From what I am gathering, I would be surprised if they pursue him - though he would surely be a major upgrade.)
I don't get why the Redskins won't look at this guy as an option.

I think because he maybe very expensive and are looking to address the DL in the FA and perhaps the OL in the draft
Not sure how much higher than our current old farts would cost. Canty will come at a premium but I don't think the same of Moore.

There are multiple positions on both lines that must be addressed and I'd hate to see any more older players being brought in.

I think because he maybe very expensive and are looking to address the DL in the FA and perhaps the OL in the draft

It seems like we want to look at Orakpo at #13 though. Id much rather trade down and try and pick up two lineman in the 2nd. We are going to be SORELY mistaken if we think this same Oline will hold up this year.

This is the way to go....Big run stuffing DE who is only 26!!!

Get players who fit the scheme, and although they might be expensive, won't be in the Haynesworth category.....While we'd like to see them getting younger immediately, its a progression and if that means upgrading with a short term fill in at tackle like Tauchser then go for it.....

I like the move too and I think it opens it up for a healthy Jason Taylor, I completely disagree with all the pissed off people complaining about him around here. The fact they didn't even ask him to restructure kinda bothers me, but we're right to bring him back. I wouldn't be upset about Tauscher - he's older but is pretty good if recovered - if not we'd be getting a younger Jansen (i.e. too slow to get off the snap and block the rusher).

If it works and we trade Springs like it's being rumored, we could potentially get a guard in the draft in some scenario or another and use our 1st rounder to draft Mauluga or whoever else. I think the FO is doing an excellent job of setting us up for success so far this offseason. :cheers:

It seems like we want to look at Orakpo at #13 though. Id much rather trade down and try and pick up two lineman in the 2nd. We are going to be SORELY mistaken if we think this same Oline will hold up this year.

They also could be sending out some smoke screens. I'm not saying they aren't interested, but I am not putting much stock. Perhaps they want to make people think that is who they are interested in so others will want to trade with them or maybe that cause another team to go in a different direction...who knows.

Everyone thinks Trading down is automatic it's not.

This season few teams want to trade up in the first round and why is that? This is the last season anyone will pay these huge deals to unproven rookies. The owner's despise paying these rookies huge guaranteed deals and thats the motivation for ending the CBA.

Originally Posted by Rypien1191

(One other thing related to the offensive line: I know a lot of you like Jets guard Brandon Moore, who will be released for cap purposes. However, the Skins have given no indication to this point that they will be in the hunt for the 27-year-old. From what I am gathering, I would be surprised if they pursue him - though he would surely be a major upgrade.)

Why wouldn't we be looking at a guy from our farm team???

This season few teams want to trade up in the first round and why is that? This is the last season anyone will pay these huge deals to unproven rookies. The owner's despise paying these rookies huge guaranteed deals and thats the motivation for ending the CBA.

That's correct. Someone needs to be coveting a guy who falls to us to make it happen and end up having good value for us. At #13, it's possible. But not a given.

Why not? He's unhappy in Dallas and is not going to command big money anywhere.

He is going to command ALOT of money elsewhere. Think about the teams that just switched to a 3-4 defense and need a quality 3-4 DE (GB, Denver), not to mention his versatility in a 4-3. Were also looking at a pretty weak DE market this year so hes gonna get some attention and I read somewhere that he wanted something similar to Tommy Kelly which was like 7 mil a year. Also dont forget old Parcells wanted him last year and he knows talent, he drafted him.

I really want him but at the right price.

You are under a mistaken impression.

Owners are still paying top dollars for anybody who can bring them a Superbowl or chance of winning plus everybody is still looking for marquee players. Just watch. There will be lots of draft day trades despite your prediction that few teams want to trade up, and regardless, the term FEW TEAMS is all it takes to get a deal. Not EVERY team, just A FEW TEAMS.

The Skins will NOT draft at number 13 and here is why. They have too many holes to fill and not enough picks. They really have no choice but to let that 13th pick go even if it means trading down 8 or 9 slots and only picking up a 3rd round pick.

At 20 or 21 or 22 the Skins will be in pretty much the same position they were last year in the draft and they can STILL trade down even further for more picks or they can pick a great offensive lineman in the late first round.

Either way, trading down ONCE, or trading down TWICE, look for the Skins to trade out of 13. I have made this call on a number of threads and I will not change that prediction up till draft day. You'll see. 100% chance of it.

How are we going to re-sign Goltson, keep JT, sign Canty and still look at Haynesworth.

Last year we didnt make a big splash in the FA market and most ESers thought for a second that Dan learned his lesson. We have a good oppurtunity to stay out of "Cap Hell" with a couple of needed offseason moves(Release JT, SS, MW, Daniels).

I guess he's learned nothing. Signing these guys leave us nothing for the future. Canty is ok at best. We could draft a DE with the same credentials. Haynesworth is a stud but do we need the highest paid DT in the league??!! We are the 4th best defense without him! Draft a young DT that could take on the double for much cheaper. This has disaster written all over it again!

Archived