Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Skins FA Buzz (Canty)

Rypien1191

It seems like we want to look at Orakpo at #13 though. Id much rather trade down and try and pick up two lineman in the 2nd. We are going to be SORELY mistaken if we think this same Oline will hold up this year.
...I'm with ya on the cut list.....I do think its a good year to pick up a stellar defender with #13...I'd go with Orakpo or Raji.

They wont last to #13 probably.:2cents:

We DEFINITELY gotta good shot at landing one of these players at #13..man say we do end up paying Canty more money than expected..would it really be a bad thing? (assuming is play will STAY consistent as it has been) I mean we really need someone like him..then we can focus on the OL and if DHall fake on what we gonna give him than he can too..there's plenty of DB's out there who can cover better and prolly won't cost as much

I don't understand why we are looking at all these DE's ... are we gonna switch JT to an OLB? Are we gonna just let D.Evans walk when he cold give us another 4-5 years of solid run defense?

The suspense is killing me.

Seems the defense just needed a few holes to plug (as well as some young players to groom), and the OFFENSIVE LINE is what we should be focusing on. Bringing in another stop-gap OT for a year or two makes no sense. OL'man need time to gel and LEARN the offense ... more so than a DT or DE has to learn defensive systems.

Get some young OL'man and start developing them in THIS system so they can contribute asap, not old FA vets who will need time to learn the offense, hope they can avoid injury and then fall apart with old age.

WTF? The more I think Vinny has a "plan" ... the more I think "that plan" is actually "a plan to not have a plan".

Why not? He's unhappy in Dallas and is not going to command big money anywhere.

No one in the league would have given Jason Taylor 8 million this season for what he will bring, at the very least Canty will bring that plus more. Looking at what our dumbass front office is willing to pay for Jason Taylor you'd be a fool to think an agent wouldn't use that against us. And for what reason did we come out and announce Jason was staying another year for? We screwed ourselves in negotiations with other players 1000 times over. Any agent worth a damn is going to use that against us to squeeze every little drop of cash out of Snyder. It makes no sense to announce that before FA without a motive to do that. My guess is they wanted the league to know that we were dumb with the expectation of having everyone high ball us so we have an excuse why we don't pick anyone up. The front office is hustling us right now believe me, I smell a rat big time. Letting everyone know we were paying Jason suck ass Taylor 8 million for one year to be here was the dumbest thing we coulda done if we wanted to bring in guys next year, well actually the dumber move was to actually think it was a good idea to pay him 8 million peroid.

So, the Skins FO is finally coming around to Canty. Bout time, Vinny. Where were you in 2005 when we were calling for you to draft him in the 4th but decided to take FB Manuel White instead? Oh right, that goes against the whole not drafting lineman in the first 4 rounds so we can pay them big free agent dollars instead philosophy.

FTW! My thoughts exactly. However to be fair, I think that one goes on Gibbs' as he ran that draft.

As for keeping Taylor around at pretty much any price, let alone his full salary :wtf: This guy is done and it seems everybody knows it (including Taylor) except Vinny. :doh:

No one in the league would have given Jason Taylor 8 million this season for what he will bring, at the very least Canty will bring that plus more. Looking at what our dumbass front office is willing to pay for Jason Taylor you'd be a fool to think an agent wouldn't use that against us. And for what reason did we come out and announce Jason was staying another year for? We screwed ourselves in negotiations with other players 1000 times over. Any agent worth a damn is going to use that against us to squeeze every little drop of cash out of Snyder. It makes no sense to announce that before FA without a motive to do that. My guess is they wanted the league to know that we were dumb with the expectation of having everyone high ball us so we have an excuse why we don't pick anyone up. The front office is hustling us right now believe me, I smell a rat big time. Letting everyone know we were paying Jason suck ass Taylor 8 million for one year to be here was the dumbest thing we coulda done if we wanted to bring in guys next year, well actually the dumber move was to actually think it was a good idea to pay him 8 million peroid.

OK, we get it. You've said the same thing 3 times in this thread. Did it ever occur to you that current sack-leader and possible future Hall of Famer Jason Taylor might command more money than 26 year old Canty?

The 8 mill. sucks, but a restructure keeps Taylor here for longer. If we move him to LBer and groom a rookie behind him, with Canty on the line, it could be a good move. Taylor is here like it or not, so quit ranting about the same situation throughout this thread. And no, other teams aren't going to just try and take advantage of us. We had one trade last offseason which, due to injury, looks bad. However, you completely ignore we overpaid guys in '06, yet since have brought players in at decent prices. Again, Taylor commands more money than a lot of these other players, and besides, we inherited his contract, and both sides gave a 2 year commitment. It's not like we went out and signed him at 8 million a year. You're simply reading way too much into the situation cuz apparently Jason Taylor making 8 million this year has ruined your life.

Everyone thinks Trading down is automatic it's not.

This season few teams want to trade up in the first round and why is that? This is the last season anyone will pay these huge deals to unproven rookies. The owner's despise paying these rookies huge guaranteed deals and thats the motivation for ending the CBA.

You said it BK :applause:

Trading down is a lot easier said then done. I've often wondered why that was and think its a combination of several things:

1. Time a team has to make the trade

2. The uncertainity of who's availible when the trades made

3. The feeling of not wanting to get ripped off by the other team in the trade by giving up too much and getting too little in return

All of that has to be done within 15 minutes. No GM should look at trading down with a realistic expectation that its going to happen. More want it to happen then actually get it to happen

So, the Skins FO is finally coming around to Canty. Bout time, Vinny. Where were you in 2005 when we were calling for you to draft him in the 4th but decided to take FB Manuel White instead? Oh right, that goes against the whole not drafting lineman in the first 4 rounds so we can pay them big free agent dollars instead philosophy.

I'd chalk that mistake up to Gibbs - his obsession for big backs hurt us on this one.

Canty is a solid guy. May not show up in the stat book often, but does his job week in and out.

Only problem, he wants $$$ that he is no worth. A reasonable contract for Chris would be in the range of 4-7 years, 20-30 million plus incentives.

He is wanting way to much.

Yeah while I've always like Canty (as much as I could, seeing that he was a cowboy), and desperately wanted us to draft him originally, I just can't see him being a "cheap" option. Based on everything that I have read, the guy is going to get paid. Would I want a player like Canty on the Burgundy and Gold? Absolutely. Can I justify paying that much? Maybe not.

You are under a mistaken impression.

Owners are still paying top dollars for anybody who can bring them a Superbowl or chance of winning plus everybody is still looking for marquee players. Just watch. There will be lots of draft day trades despite your prediction that few teams want to trade up, and regardless, the term FEW TEAMS is all it takes to get a deal. Not EVERY team, just A FEW TEAMS.

The Skins will NOT draft at number 13 and here is why. They have too many holes to fill and not enough picks. They really have no choice but to let that 13th pick go even if it means trading down 8 or 9 slots and only picking up a 3rd round pick.

At 20 or 21 or 22 the Skins will be in pretty much the same position they were last year in the draft and they can STILL trade down even further for more picks or they can pick a great offensive lineman in the late first round.

Either way, trading down ONCE, or trading down TWICE, look for the Skins to trade out of 13. I have made this call on a number of threads and I will not change that prediction up till draft day. You'll see. 100% chance of it.

This is the most likely scenario, and the one that would be the most beneficial to the Skins. We can find our own Canty and stud O-Linemen through the draft for a fraction of the cost. PLUS fill in some other needs (LB, RB)

You guys are fooling yourself thinking that Canty's or anyone in the leagues going to come here on the cheap. After telling the world that we would pay 8 million for another year of the Jason Taylor expirament we just lost all of our barganing power. Why in the hell did we have to announce that today before FA? Was the front office looking to get screwed over or were they looking for an excuse why they don't bring in more guys next season? There was a reason for this announcement, Jason's still contracted to us, we didn't need to do that. Im not one for conspiracys but I smell a rat
Canty is not a 6 time Probowler and future Hall Of Famer; so why would he expect to get anywhere near what Taylor is getting?
Yes I completely agree. Let's not forget that we have two decent DTs alread in Monty and Golston. We don't NEED DT as much as we NEED DE!
I thought that you were joking, but I don't see any smilely faces.:)

We desperately need an upgrade at the DT position. In a lot of peoples opinion that would help allow both our LB's and DE's be more affective in more ways than one.

Say NO to Canty. We don't need any ex-Cowboys on this roster.
Come on man, you've got to find a better reason than that to say no.:)

Sorry but I don't buy the stupid conspiracy theories. How do you know they're not going to renegotiate with Jason Taylor before 12:01 am on Friday?

And even if we pay him the same rate, the man isn't done yet. He suffered a life-threatening injury last season and attempted to play through it. JLC reported that he was squeezing pus out of his calf as late in the season as right before the Cincy game. On top of that, Blache admittedly didn't utilize him to maximize his potential like they did in Miami.

Go back and watch the Philly game (@ FedEx) and watch where he is on every down. He's standing on the strong side next to London Fletcher, he's putting his hand down at LDE and all over the line as a pass-rusher and look what happened...low and behold he gets 2 sacks and one of them for a FF. The article that mentioned him coming back also mentioned that he will be utilized in a different way next season which is exactly what should happen.

Go back and look at the reactions of people when Philip Daniels went down in training camp and we traded that 2nd for Taylor, nearly everyone thought it was a good move because it was. We couldn't have predicted that he was going to be hospitalized with an injury that could've put him 6 feet under the dirt. A player of his caliber that was just the DPOY in 2006 doesn't just fall off and start sucking in one season. So people that make retarded comments like calling him "Jason suck ass Taylor" either aren't paying attention or never knew WTF was going on in the first place.

Sorry but I don't buy the stupid conspiracy theories. How do you know they're not going to renegotiate with Jason Taylor before 12:01 am on Friday?

And even if we pay him the same rate, the man isn't done yet. He suffered a life-threatening injury last season and attempted to play through it. JLC reported that he was squeezing pus out of his calf as late in the season as right before the Cincy game. On top of that, Blache admittedly didn't utilize him to maximize his potential like they did in Miami.

Go back and watch the Philly game (@ FedEx) and watch where he is on every down. He's standing on the strong side next to London Fletcher, he's putting his hand down at LDE and all over the line as a pass-rusher and look what happened...low and behold he gets 2 sacks and one of them for a FF. The article that mentioned him coming back also mentioned that he will be utilized in a different way next season which is exactly what should happen.

Go back and look at the reactions of people when Philip Daniels went down in training camp and we traded that 2nd for Taylor, nearly everyone thought it was a good move because it was. We couldn't have predicted that he was going to be hospitalized with an injury that could've put him 6 feet under the dirt. A player of his caliber that was just the DPOY in 2006 doesn't just fall off and start sucking in one season. So people that make retarded comments like calling him "Jason suck ass Taylor" either aren't paying attention or never knew WTF was going on in the first place.

:applause:The man himself stated that he did'nt even think that he was worth $8m.

I think that it's just easier for some people to point fingers, judge and hate rather than take into consideration all of the contributing factors that were an obvious part of Taylor's unsuccessful season.

As much as I'd like to sign the former Callous CowPuke Chris Canty, we don't need to sign him. He's a big DE but we don't need a DE, our weakness along the D-line is the DT. Of Cantys' 3 sacks on the season, only one came against us. Why does anyone believe he'll be a good signing? Cost effective or not, our needs are based in the interior of both lines. :helmet:

:applause:The man himself stated that he did'nt even think that he was worth $8m.

I think that it's just easier for some people to point fingers, judge and hate rather than take into consideration all of the contributing factors that were an obvious part of Taylor's unsuccessful season.

Exactly, and I understand that people are mad that he wasn't the factor that he should've been last season, especially with the draft coming up and us not having a 2nd rounder, but there's no need to pretend like the man isn't a great player. I think he wants to prove himslef honestly.

Archived