Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Continental Plane Crashes into a House in Buffalo

MonkFan8

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96AGBM00&show_article=1

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - New York state police say a 50-passenger commuter plane has crashed into a home in suburban Buffalo. There was no immediate information on injuries.

State Trooper John Manthey says the plane hit a house in Clarence around 10:10 p.m. Thursday.

Flames erupted from remnants of the house and aircraft as firefighters sought to control the blaze.

Manthey says they don't know whether there were any passengers on the plane. They also don't know if there were any injuries in the home.

Clarence is about 20 miles northeast of Buffalo.

Manthey says the plane may have been headed to Buffalo Niagara International Airport. He says authorities have called the Federal Aviation Administration.

Oh man, I am flying to Germany tommarrow to.....This is gonna suck

Colgan Air got bought out by pinnacle a couple of years ago

Charles Colgan Sr is one of the better men I've met in my life.. longest serving VA Senator, past 2 governors have begged him not to retire.. Conservative Democrat and a hell of a storyteller.. not happy for what happened either way but glad he's not on top of the airline anymore

Among the 44 passengers killed was a woman whose husband died in the World Trade Center attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. A fellow 9/11 activist said Beverly Eckert was heading to Buffalo for a celebration of what would have been her husband's 58th birthday.
-- from Washingtonpost.com article this morning.

wow, that is just too tragic if true. almost surreal.

The world had gone a record amount of time without loss of life from an air disaster.

The last airline disaster was in 2006 in Lexington, Ky when that Comair Bombardier CRJ-100 chose the wrong runway. I would think the world has gone longer than that without a crash, but I may be wrong.

Anyway my thoughts and prayers to the families affected by this latest tragedy. The story about the widow of the 9/11 victim is so tragic.

After hearing the crash' date=' Dworak drove over to take a look, and "all we were seeing was 50 to 100 foot flames and a pile of rubble on the ground. It looked like the house just got destroyed the instant it got hit." .....One person in the home that the plane struck was killed, and two others inside were able to escape with minor injuries.[/quote']

The way that plane destroyed that house, it's nothin but a freakin miracle, that 2 people could escape with only minor injuries - or escape alive, at all

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE51C2L320090213

Doomed plane suddenly lost contact: tower tapes

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:16am EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The commuter plane that crashed near Buffalo, New York, late on Thursday was set to start its approach to land when air traffic controllers suddenly lost contact, control tower communications show.

As the tower called in vain for Continental Connection flight 3407 operated by Colgan Air to respond, one controller asked for help to find out what happened to the Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 plane with 44 passengers and four crew on board.

"Colgan 3407. Buffalo Tower. How do you hear?" the controller said.

"This is ground communication. We need to talk to someone at least five miles northeast ... either state police or sheriff's department. We need to find out if anything is on the ground," he said.

"This aircraft was five miles out and all of a sudden we have no response to that aircraft."

Another man's voice said: "All I can tell you is the aircraft was over the marker and we're not talking to them now."

The controller then tells other planes the Dash 8 "didn't make the airport."

"Cactus, did you find Colgan?" he says to the ****pit crew of one flight.

"Unfortunately, they said he went down about right over the marker," the crew member responds.

The tape was played on U.S. television networks.

All 48 people on the Colgan flight and one person on the ground were killed when the plane crashed into a house in the Buffalo suburb of Clarence Center and burst into flames.

Sounds eerily similar to what happened to my dad :(

Archived