Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.com: Freestyle motocross racer Jeremy Lusk dies

IbleedBnG83

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-obit-lusk&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP)—Jeremy Lusk, an American freestyle motocross racer, died of head injuries Tuesday after crashing while trying to land a backflip in competition. He was 24.

Jorge Ramirez, chief of the intensive care unit at Calderon Hospital where Lusk was taken, said the motocross racer suffered severe brain damage and a possible spinal cord injury.

Lusk won a gold medal at the 2008 X Games. He was injured Saturday night when he failed to complete a full rotation while attempting a Hart Attack backflip and slammed headfirst into the dirt. Lusk crashed in almost identical fashion in the freestyle semifinals at the 2007 X Games but was not hurt.

He had a successful 2008 season, winning Freestyle gold at the X Games and silver in Best Trick when he landed the first double-grab Hart Attack backflip. He won a bronze helmet in Freestyle at the Moto X World Championships in his hometown of San Diego.

Ramirez said Lusk died with his parents and his wife, Lauren, at his side.

“He was in a medicine-induced coma as a protective measure, and the medicine was being reduced to see how his organism responded,” he said.

“That didn’t mean he was going to wake up. He was in shock and that got worse last night, until he stopped responding and entered into cardiac and respiratory failure.”

Lusk lived in Temecula, Calif.

Saw the video, looked horrible. Hoped he'd pull through. Sucks :(

Condolences to his family, takes some major balls to participate in any of those sports.

I read that the facility the event was being held at didn't have the proper medical team in place, is that right?

Saw the video, looked horrible. Hoped he'd pull through. Sucks :(

Condolences to his family, takes some major balls to participate in any of those sports.

I read that the facility the event was being held at didn't have the proper medical team in place, is that right?

I'm not sure but they should treat it like football. Medical experts said that if it weren't for the excellent and attentive medical treatment given to Kevin Everett so quickly, that he may have been paralyzed for good.

Condolences to his family.

I read this part and am wondering WTF?

“He was in a medicine-induced coma as a protective measure, and the medicine was being reduced to see how his organism responded,” he said.

His organism? Is he a symbiont?

Took my son to an ArenaCross race this weekend and they had riders doing some of these tricks and it is insane what these guys do! I am surprised we have not heard of more of this happening. They get so high that one little mishap and its just a freefall.

I'm sure it was a typo and they meant "organs" as that is a common thing to do with severe head injuries.

My heart goes out to his family, that is just awful. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. We had a good family friend die from head injuries 2 Christmas's ago from a fall. He was 28 y/o with a wife and 3 young children. All funerals are bad, but that was definitely the most heart wrenching one I've ever attended. On one hand, it's good that he had his family surrounding him as he drew his last breath and they all had their hands on his chest to feel his last heartbeat, but I almost think it's harder for the family to watch their loved one's last moment. I can't even imagine the guilt and despair they went through as they made the decision to remove him from life support and watch as he officially died.

I imagine this is similar to what Lusk's family had to go through. I can't imagine going through much worse in life; my heart just goes out to them.

As for motorcross, this is one of the reasons I hate the sport. Unnecessary death and/or injuries, this being the worst case scenario. :(

Its sad but it was too happen to somebody sooner or later, what they do is crazy and each year they add another bit of difficulty to there already sick tricks. They are very very talented but also very very crazy! I can't get entertained by watching it, its just too much risk of something like that happenening. god bless his family

Condolences to his family.

I read this part and am wondering WTF?

His organism? Is he a symbiont?

I was wondering the same thing. I want to believe it was a typo and it meant to read organs

Well it is very rarely used in that context , but yes the usage of "organism" is correct in that statement.

It does look odd though when you read it.

Anyway, condolences to his family. :peace1:

I have nothing but the utmost respect for these "extreme" sporters. They defy the odds more often then not and IMO what they do is under-rated and under-appreciated.

My kids personally know Travis Pastrani and have been to his home a few times. They say is a humble guy.

Archived