Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the backup plan if Jason can't get it done this year?

Skins PR

i can tell you what will happen from the fans point of view.

The team wont' offer JC a new contract and cut him because he can't get it done.

2009 season ends, new coaching staff comes in. Colt starts and will throw the ball all over the field and get picked off way too much.

The new d cordinator won't have a firm grasp on his talentless D line who still has players like Taylor, Daniels, Carter and Griffin...

Fans will want the new QB to start immediately. (Insert, say, Sanchez here who was picked in the 1st round with the 13th pick 2009 draft).

2011, Sanchez starts and gets about 4 games and the fans want (insert sexy free agent name here, say, McNabb who was cut by the Eagles because he can't even pick up a football anymore due to old age)...

Brennan will come in and struggle. That would be the only option if the season was in the toilet with Campbell either ineffective or injured. After that, we blow up the team anyway. I'm not sure we keep Collins into the regular season if we can find someone better. I would have loved to see him again in the Saunders offense but that ship has long since sailed. What little we saw of TC in Zorn's system was pretty sloppy with perhaps one shaky TD drive. That said, I'd put TC out there first if we were still in competition.

The backup plan if JC can't get it done is get a new receiving core or Oline because one or both are not hacking it.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell, honestly...

Well regardless, that would be silly. You don't overhaul FIVE positions just to salvage ONE player. At some point you have to pull the plug and try someone else.

I disagree with this statement. If JC ultimately have the talent to succeed, than that is on his shoulders, not someone elses.

Sometimes people fail because they aren't good at what they are doing. It's cliche, but, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I agree with you. However the reason that Zorn was hired over others was because the team wanted someone to help Jason become a successful QB and they thought he could do that. Its not completely in Zorns control to do that but it was his top and first priority when he was hired. If the team lets Jason go, that's a failure on Zorn for not doing his job. It's not fair but I do believe its the way this business will work out in the end. Unless Colt is amazing and can't rescue Zorn I think its Zorn's last year here IF its also Jason's last year here too. If Jason stays in 2010 my bet is Zorn does too.

If Campbell can't get it done this year

1. new coach' date=' new GM

2a. new QB

2b. rebuild the team. If we go, say, 6-10 next year then many of the current group are getting too old to be a part of a building process.[/quote'] I'm not sure about "new coach."

Zorn isn't necessarily married to Campbell, transitioning us into a fully running WCO isn't going to happen overnight, especially considering how much of our offense is really in question (old, breaking down line, question mark receivers outside of Moss, Portis wearing down and about to hit the magic 30 in a year, and the obvious QB question).

Zorn was brought into to help the investment we made in Campbell, sure, but that doesn't mean if Campbell proves to be incapable of running the WCO and panning out for us, we dump Zorn as well. At that point, we should figure out how raw Brennan really is for the NFL, and whether or not we can turn him into anything long term. Or draft a new, big-time QB.

We bring in a vet in the offensive scheme (not saying WC, cuz if campbell doesn't get it done this year, that assumes that zorn didn't either) and let him play for a year or two with colt presumably as the backup, drafting someone along the way as a starter (if colt doesn't take off) or as a mid-round talent to build upon

if were sitting at like 4-6 or campbell is just playing his usual uninspired weak and bland brand of QB, i say we start colt. whats the worst that happens with colt? we at least get to see what hes capable of, and if hes as good as some posters claim, then that rules. and if hes as bad as some posters claim, we'll all finally know that he sucks.

my biggest gripe with colt is that he was never given a chance to compete, and i think thats total BS. best man for the job should get the job. the fact campbell was handed the job on a silver platter with no push is pathetic, and definitely didnt put any fire under his ass to do a better job.

Colt and his former coach both admitted that he's not NFL ready.. sure he could come in and play well, but it's got to be shown that he can play outside of the system that he did in Hawaii.. not many 6th round qb's get to walk in and challenge for the spot

Brennan will come in and struggle. That would be the only option if the season was in the toilet with Campbell either ineffective or injured. After that, we blow up the team anyway. I'm not sure we keep Collins into the regular season if we can find someone better. I would have loved to see him again in the Saunders offense but that ship has long since sailed. What little we saw of TC in Zorn's system was pretty sloppy with perhaps one shaky TD drive. That said, I'd put TC out there first if we were still in competition.

If you are dead in the water, you put in your youngster to let him get some playing time under his belt. I'd love to see what Colt can do, but playing him when Campbell is healthy and we have a chance for the playoffs is lunacy.

We bring in a vet in the offensive scheme (not saying WC, cuz if campbell doesn't get it done this year, that assumes that zorn didn't either) and let him play for a year or two with colt presumably as the backup, drafting someone along the way as a starter (if colt doesn't take off) or as a mid-round talent to build upon
Again, how does JC not getting it done mean that Zorn hasn't either?

It would be Zorn's 2nd year as a HC, and his second year trying to work around re-tooling the offense from the receivers on up.

It's possible Campbell isn't cut out to be a WCO QB, but if that's the case, it's not Zorn's fault. I'd give him a third year if he's looking capable of the job outside of Campbell's struggles.

My guess, based on history:

2009 Draft 1st rd 13th pick Sanchez USC? (you never know, its Vinnys Best Player Available)

Near to the end of the 2009 season the team won't offer JC a new contract and cut him because he can't get it done.

2009 season ends, new coaching staff comes in. The new coach will want to work with a vetern QB... So they Skins pick up... say, McNabb who was cut by the Eagles. McNabb plays about 4 games in a new system and isn't really getting it done. The fans scream for Colt.

Some start a Sanchez bandwagon thread because he threw a TD in pre-season...

2010 Colt starts and will throw the ball all over the field and get picked off way too much. The end result is the Skins just aren't winning a lot of games, and the fans start to grumble about how much Colt is a bust. They want Sanchez to start....

2011 Colt starts again and performs average at best. The team still isn't winning. In comes Sanchez...

Clinton Portis's backup plan: Colt Brennan

"Now that he's healthy I think he feels like he's one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL," Portis said. "He deserves a shot. When he gets his shot, I think he'll go out and be real exciting."

My guess, based on history:

2009 Draft 1st rd 13th pick Sanchez USC? (you never know, its Vinnys Best Player Available)

Near to the end of the 2009 season the team won't offer JC a new contract and cut him because he can't get it done.

2009 season ends, new coaching staff comes in. The new coach will want to work with a vetern QB... So they Skins pick up... say, McNabb who was cut by the Eagles. McNabb plays about 4 games in a new system and isn't really getting it done. The fans scream for Colt.

Some start a Sanchez bandwagon thread because he threw a TD in pre-season...

2010 Colt starts and will throw the ball all over the field and get picked off way too much. The end result is the Skins just aren't winning a lot of games, and the fans start to grumble about how much Colt is a bust. They want Sanchez to start....

2011 Colt starts again and performs average at best. The team still isn't winning. In comes Sanchez...

Go back to Philly. Real Skinz fans do not talk about their team like that.

Pathetic...

Archived