Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the backup plan if Jason can't get it done this year?

Skins PR

I really hope he does well and becomes a franchise QB but suppose as the season nears it's end, we all know that he will not be coming back in 2010.

I know a lot of people on here think that Colt is cool and that he will step in and lead us to the promised land right away. Let's just say, hypothetically, that there is a reason he was drafted in the 7th round and that Zorn says he needs a lot of work before he's ready.

What are we going to do? Todd Collins? Whoever NE decides to get rid of from Brady / Cassel? Is there another QB who will be a free agent? I guess it's possible we could end up with the #1 pick overall.

Colt was drafted in the 6th round and not 7th round (that would be Horton and wasn't he a steal as well). This is the same QB who was projected to go late 1st round to 2nd round before his flu and hip surgery.

So let's not say anything about him until you have had a chance to see him first. ;)

Whoever NE decides to get rid of from Brady / Cassel?

There's even a DEBATE on Brady? :doh:

The Pats will doubtless franchise Cassel, as they have a **** load of cap room to play with, to strengthen their bargaining position over him. Brady's a none issue. He's set for life in New England.

As regards ourselves, one would hope that if Jason continues in the same vein as he's shown to date next season, we'd get to see Colt on the field in full speed NFL games to make a judgement on him going forward.

Above and beyond that, I guess it depends just how bad we are, and what position we end up drafting in. When you consider the likes of Bradford will be coming out next year, there's some real potential to finally nail down, dare I say it, a franchise QB. Either that or we break the bank for a proven, top bracket vet.

One things for sure, we sure as heck need to sort this out once and for all. Bar the odd flurry from one or two, we've had nigh on two decades of mediocre play from the most important position on ANY team, and untill we fully address it, we'll continue to be what we are; an average, run-of-the-mill ball club.

Hail.

Give Jason one more year, if he doesn't show decent improvement it might be time to look at other people.

Honestly the way he started the season off he looked superb, I mean he made mistakes here and there, but overall he was better than what we had seen for awhile, of course the second half awaited us.

I think he can get better, however if we do get rid of him, were gonna have to try Colt out, he looked excellent in preseason, has a good arm and a quick release, reads the defense well, which I think Campbell has trouble with sometimes.

Hopefully, Colt will get some playing time at the end of the season if Campbells play is dismal and we aren't in contention for the playoffs. That should be the first step, if Colt has extremely poor mechanics and can't get it done at NFL, its not a big deal its not like we traded back into the first round to get him. We then go back to the draft board, hopefully we get a Sam Bradford like qb, but only time will tell.

if were sitting at like 4-6 or campbell is just playing his usual uninspired weak and bland brand of QB, i say we start colt. whats the worst that happens with colt? we at least get to see what hes capable of, and if hes as good as some posters claim, then that rules. and if hes as bad as some posters claim, we'll all finally know that he sucks.

my biggest gripe with colt is that he was never given a chance to compete, and i think thats total BS. best man for the job should get the job. the fact campbell was handed the job on a silver platter with no push is pathetic, and definitely didnt put any fire under his ass to do a better job.

Honestly the way he started the season off he looked superb, I mean he made mistakes here and there, but overall he was better than what we had seen for awhile, of course the second half awaited us.

I beg to differ. He didn't look "superb". He looked like a guy who wasn't making mistakes, and who thrived in an offense no one had any game film on. Once the league caught up, things changed. The injury situation certainly played a part with regard to the O-line......but honestly any "superb" QB, or even an above average QB (See Big Ben) understands the pressure and can make things happen in an unscripted way, despite poor play around them. Campbell showed ZERO ability to succeed in anything but ideal conditions. For me, that's where the rubber meets the road.

What's funny is most of the die-hard JC supporters say things like......"You weren't saying all this after the first 8 games!". Well, yes I was. Check my posting history. I suggest that with the exception of a couple of games where Campbell definitely had very good performances, he's been the same guy we're complaining about all along. I said it then when we were winning and I'm saying it now. We won most of our games despite Campbell........not because of him. I'm not suggesting we need a QB who wins us every single game........but we sure as heck need one who's capable of doing that when necessary. I don't believe JC is ever going to be that type of guy.........and honestly it's unfair to ask that of him. I believe he's a very good journeyman QB who'll make for an excellent backup in the league. He'll have longevity and get paid well for years to come.......but my opinion.......and I acknowledge it is ONLY my opinion.......is that he's not a bonna-fide starter in this league. I know I'll get flamed by the JC faithful......but that is my own opinion, right or wrong.

To answer the OP's original question.........Colt would have to be tried before even thinking of spending monies elsewhere, or drafting a highly-rated QB.

Whoa Stophover ... you mean you rather start the season with Jason rather than Brett? ... you must be deranged.

Yes. If he doesn't work out, Colt is still there like in your scenario. But unlike your scenario we don't waste a bunch of money on a 39 year old relic. He's good, but he's not good enough to get this team to the superbowl next year. And really, what else would we be using him for?

This team isn't one player away from a Trophy, and if we are, it's certainly not him. So why waste our time AND money, if Campbell is just a waste of time? If Campbell starts the season poorly, we put Colt in. If we make a move for Favre and he starts the year poorly, do you really think Colt will go in halfway through the season, no way Danny lets an investment like Favre sit on the bench. And what if we do decide to bench Favre and then Campbell comes in? Then you've wasted even more time and money, on something that is NOT going to help this team in the long run.

All I'm asking, is that we as simple fans, try to think about the longterm, since CLEARLY, thinking one player and one year at a time, doesn't not solve this teams multitude of problems.

And I'm not the only one that thinks this way, I can't imagine a majority of fans would agree with your scenario, unless they really are as short sighted as you.

I say make a run for Favre for one year until Colt is ready. Campbell is a waste of time.

Real quickly, Favre is done, and we have a better QB than the Jets do on their current roster.

The Jets would have been a better team with a guy like Campbell...

The only thing that kept them out of the playoffs was their QB's penchant for game-changing mistakes. Say what you will about Campbell, but he did NOT lose games for the Skins this year.

You've gotta give JC an opportunity to run a competent offensive unit. The complete makeover of the passing game was expected to take more than just one year. They didn't light up the stat sheet when they were winning, and the losses were made more excruciating by the offense's ineptitude.

BUT, Jason Campbell progressed THROUGHOUT the season. As opposing coordinators attacked our weak O-line and banged-up running game, Jason, along with the line and recieving corps had to persevere and learn despite the odds being stacked against them.

During the final 8 games, watching Campbell was tough, because most of the blame tends to get heaped on his shoulders. However, he managed to improve his completion pct. and cut down on his turnovers. I was most impressed by the guts and determination he displayed this year. He converted more than a few tough third downs with his feet, helping out the sputtering offense more than the stat sheet reflects.

If we can protect him a little better next year, and get the receivers in-sync, all the Campbell haters will disappear. IMO, the guy has the head to be a hell of an NFL quarterback, and no one can deny his physical tools. I honestly would take him over ANYONE playing in the NFC. When he comes of age, more of you will agree with me. I think he's prototypical for this city, in his professionalism and work ethic. Campbell and Zorn could be a beautiful thing if the fans, front office, and/or diva running back don't sabotage the operation in the next 2 years. It takes a little patience to see a QB fully realize his potential.

:cheers:

Real quickly, Favre is done, and we have a better QB than the Jets do on their current roster.

The Jets would have been a better team with a guy like Campbell...

The only thing that kept them out of the playoffs was their QB's penchant for game-changing mistakes. Say what you will about Campbell, but he did NOT lose games for the Skins this year.

You've gotta give JC an opportunity to run a competent offensive unit. The complete makeover of the passing game was expected to take more than just one year. They didn't light up the stat sheet when they were winning, and the losses were made more excruciating by the offense's ineptitude.

BUT, Jason Campbell progressed THROUGHOUT the season. As opposing coordinators attacked our weak O-line and banged-up running game, Jason, along with the line and recieving corps had to persevere and learn despite the odds being stacked against them.

During the final 8 games, watching Campbell was tough, because most of the blame tends to get heaped on his shoulders. However, he managed to improve his completion pct. and cut down on his turnovers. I was most impressed by the guts and determination he displayed this year. He converted more than a few tough third downs with his feet, helping out the sputtering offense more than the stat sheet reflects.

If we can protect him a little better next year, and get the receivers in-sync, all the Campbell haters will disappear. IMO, the guy has the head to be a hell of an NFL quarterback, and no one can deny his physical tools. I honestly would take him over ANYONE playing in the NFC. When he comes of age, more of you will agree with me. I think he's prototypical for this city, in his professionalism and work ethic. Campbell and Zorn could be a beautiful thing if the fans, front office, and/or diva running back don't sabotage the operation in the next 2 years. It takes a little patience to see a QB fully realize his potential.

:cheers:

Man, you are definitely a big JC fan. As much as I would love for him to be a star, he's most likely not. He has not shown enough so far to make that argument. Wanting the QB's to compete is not being a "Jason Hater", it's wanting the best QB on the field. If JC is as good as you say, he shouldn't have any problems beating out CB/TC.

Saying you would take him over any QB in the NFC is about a big a strecth. Warner, Brees, Ryan, Romo sits to pee, Rodgers, Manning, Mcnabb just to name a few.

I do think CB will be a good QB so I'm not overly concerned about our QB situation. Of course I have just as little to back-up my "feeling" as the folks saying JC is a above avg NFL QB.

I beg to differ. He didn't look "superb". He looked like a guy who wasn't making mistakes, and who thrived in an offense no one had any game film on. Once the league caught up, things changed. The injury situation certainly played a part with regard to the O-line......but honestly any "superb" QB, or even an above average QB (See Big Ben) understands the pressure and can make things happen in an unscripted way, despite poor play around them. Campbell showed ZERO ability to succeed in anything but ideal conditions. For me, that's where the rubber meets the road.

What's funny is most of the die-hard JC supporters say things like......"You weren't saying all this after the first 8 games!". Well, yes I was. Check my posting history. I suggest that with the exception of a couple of games where Campbell definitely had very good performances, he's been the same guy we're complaining about all along. I said it then when we were winning and I'm saying it now. We won most of our games despite Campbell........not because of him. I'm not suggesting we need a QB who wins us every single game........but we sure as heck need one who's capable of doing that when necessary. I don't believe JC is ever going to be that type of guy.........and honestly it's unfair to ask that of him. I believe he's a very good journeyman QB who'll make for an excellent backup in the league. He'll have longevity and get paid well for years to come.......but my opinion.......and I acknowledge it is ONLY my opinion.......is that he's not a bonna-fide starter in this league. I know I'll get flamed by the JC faithful......but that is my own opinion, right or wrong.

To answer the OP's original question.........Colt would have to be tried before even thinking of spending monies elsewhere, or drafting a highly-rated QB.

:applause: Exactly. We have a young guy on the bench who has had far fewer opportunities, but is no more unproven than JC. When JC shows his usual play the first two months of the season, CB DESERVES his shot just as much as JC.

I think if Jason struggles and doesn't show improvement after 5 or 6 games next season, then I think Zorn makes the move to start Colt. For everyone who says Zorn and Jason are tied to the hip, I can partially agree; however, if Jason fails, and Colt comes in and does well I think Zorn will be able to keep his job. So I don't agree if Jason fails then Zorn is gone.

I've supported JC for the past few years, but this coming season is his last chance. Not stepping up during the 2nd half of 2008 showed a lot about him and it wasn't good.

If the Skins are in the tank by the halfway point of the 2009 season, you gotta go with CB (even if he starts out as a disaster).

Archived