Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite song and motion picture scene pairing

Chump Bailey

I think Richie Tenenbaum's suicide attempt in "The Royal Tenenbaums," scored to Elliott Smith's "Needle in the Hay," is one of the most beautiful, haunting, and emotionally-affecting combinations of cinematography and music I've ever seen. It's made even more poignant by the fact that though the movie came out in 2001, Elliott Smith (in real life) committed suicide in 2003. It's impossible to watch the scene and not make that connection, and it is devastatingly sad.

Hm. A couple come to mind, though they aren't traditional "songs" so much as scores.

1) The scene in Return of the Jedi where Luke and Vader are battling and there is a lull in the fighting. Vader senses Luke thinking about his sister and Vader tells him that if he won't turn to the dark side, maybe she will. Luke then loses it and goes nuts on Vader. While they are then fighting the John Williams score during it is amazing and really makes the scene, IMO.

2) The scene in Edward Scissorhands when he is doing the ice sculpture and Danny Elfman's score "Ice Dance" is playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRMk0qtJwME

Jenn-ay on the balcony railing in "Forrest Gump" while Free Bird plays .. I never listen to that song quite the same anymore.

~Bang

>edit< I posted before reading through, and as i look back three of us have picked a scene from Forrest Gump, but all three of us thought of a different scene.

Damn, that says something about that movie, doesn't it?

~Me again

This popped into my mind too. Really made that scene didn't it?

When I first opened this thread my first thought was...

Cruel Intentions- Bittersweet Symphony (The Verve)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCDvRS16_s

Not a huge fan of the song, but it really gives the whole "gotcha *****" in the end of the movie.

As I was watching that I thought of...

Fight Club- Where is my Mind (The Pixies)

Great song, perfect ending song for that movie.

Archived