Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Hines Ward wait less than Art Monk?

Dark Acre

ESPN is saying that if Ward wins a 2nd SB ring, he should be in the HOF. Read the article which is on the front page at espn.com They're going off on how Ward plays on a run-first team, yadda yadda. Gimme a break. Sure, he has to contend with a strong running game, but what great WRs has he played with? Gary Clark? Ricky Sanders? Charlie Brown? He also plays in the hands-off era, so it's not like the 80's. Ward's a good WR, but HOF? Seniors committee. It's going to be a major middle finger to both Monk and the Skins if he gets in anytime soon after retiring (or is that the idea?) And by the way, Monk was a major player on 4 SB teams, 3 of whom were winners (I'm referring to the regular season as Art kept sitting on his rabbit's foot every New Year's Eve.) Ward has contributed to how many SB teams? Two now. Go for 4 dude.

I whole-heartedly agree with everything you posted. But I think what cost Art Monk so much time is because he wasn't media savy like Hines Ward. Ward will chat-up the sports media anytime he can, but Monk let his play do the talking. That's the difference between them. :helmet:

. Ward will chat-up the sports media anytime he can, but Monk let his play do the talking. That's the difference between them. :helmet:

Don't sell Ward short yes he talks to the media more but the man does come to play on sunday.He's a complete reciever that dosent mind laying a vicious block on defenders.

Don't sell Ward short yes he talks to the media more but the man does come to play on sunday.He's a complete reciever that dosent mind laying a vicious block on defenders.

Oh definitely I wasn't trying to minimize his impact to the Steelers. I'm just explaining why he would get in faster than Monk did. Ward is a great blocker and a good receiver no doubt about that. :helmet:

hes got 5 1000 yard seasons, doesnt even have 80 TDs yet, and hes been playing in an era with guys like TO, chad johnson, randy moss, marvin harrison, torry holt, and issac bruce. hell, donald driver has more 1000 yard seasons than hines ward.

only reason ward will get in is cause hes on the steelers, who are media darlings. hes a very good receivers, but im sure most people outside of Pittsburgh dont think hes hall worthy.

Colin Cowherd uses this litmus test. If you can say in one sentence what he's known for "Best _______ ever." Then he can go in.

In this case the only thing I can put down is that he might be the "Hardest Blocking WR ever." and I don't know if you put a WR into the HOF for that.

When you think of the greatest receivers of all time... Hines Ward is not even in the conversation.

The HoF is for the greatest ever... not for the pretty decent.

People seem to forget that.

There are so many greats that are still on the outside looking in. Those are the guys that need to be getting in.....

Ward should not even be in consideration. Sure it's fun for the media to talk about because it's Super Bowl week and they already exhausted the overblown "Warner for the HOF" angle last week. So this week it's Ward. Even if he made the ballot there will be LOADS of other receivers with far better numbers and resumes than him. No. Chance.

What are his statistics, I don't really think of Hines Ward as HOF caliber. BTW, someone should send his statistics to the Steelers and mention the same thing that the thread starter said. This statement by espn really pisses me off.

hes got 5 1000 yard seasons, doesnt even have 80 TDs yet, and hes been playing in an era with guys like TO, chad johnson, randy moss, marvin harrison, torry holt, and issac bruce. hell, donald driver has more 1000 yard seasons than hines ward.

only reason ward will get in is cause hes on the steelers, who are media darlings. hes a very good receivers, but im sure most people outside of Pittsburgh dont think hes hall worthy.

I agree. As many of Monk's incorrectly put it, it's not the Hall of Very Good. Ward is an excellent player, but I don't know if he's a Hall of Fame type player.

~Bang

Ward will not get in easily, he may get in eventually, but not right away, he has to go up against a lot of other big name WRs. Just think of all the people playing right now that should go in ahead of him. Moss, TO, Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, ect.

He may get in, but it will be very tough.

Well if Hines Ward plays for 3 more seasons at his current pace he will have eclipsed Art Monk's numbers...hey just might have a shot even though it pains me to say it.

different time in a pass happy league....he may have somthing of an argument about being on a running team, but like I said he doesn't get in before Clark.

different time in a pass happy league....he may have somthing of an argument about being on a running team, but like I said he doesn't get in before Clark.

IMO he will get in before Clark because they will use the argument of him being a better all around WR..Clark is gonna get caught up with the most recent retirees and the future retirees. His only option will probably be the Vets committee.

IMO he will get in before Clark because they will use the argument of him being a better all around WR..Clark is gonna get caught up with the most recent retirees and the future retirees. His only option will probably be the Vets committee.

Nah, Clark's stats compare with today's WRs. He has similar stats to Irvin. In fact he beats Irvin in many categories. Then I'd like to hear the argument that Ward is a better all around WR than Clark. Clark could block, go over the middle, go deep, run a reverse, get highlight plays, or the third down catch, run over a LB or Safety. The dude was GREAT!!!!

Too bad he was there with Monk, who broke that Largent record and was seen as the number 1 reciever. But if Monk was #1, Clark was 1a.

Clark is a HOF WR!!!!!!!

Nah, Clark's stats compare with today's WRs. He has similar stats to Irvin. In fact he beats Irvin in many categories. Then I'd like to hear the argument that Ward is a better all around WR than Clark. Clark could block, go over the middle, go deep, run a reverse, get highlight plays, or the third down catch, run over a LB or Safety. The dude was GREAT!!!!

Too bad he was there with Monk, who broke that Largent record and was seen as the number 1 reciever. But if Monk was #1, Clark was 1a.

Clark is a HOF WR!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong I totally believe that Clark is a HOF WR...the sad part is the selection process and the media love. Ward gets all of the love and will probably join the media soon after retiring that will cement his chances of getting in while Clark will get passed by.Clark is competing with Carter and Reed. While I believe Carter will be first and Reed next after that he will probably get stiffed until the some current WR's are eligible. Than he will run out of chances by the current process.

Archived