Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is anyone else a puss like me when it comes to flying?

Big Weirdo

i was a jet mechanic in the navy...imagine someone like me at 19 working on your jet. i always too my job seriously but i wouldnt trust me to do that in a jet i flew in.

i pray before every take off and every landing.

My boyfriend and brother are helicopter mechanics.... they basically make sure helicopters are safe to fly and make sure the little jarheads learn how to do it. If something goes wrong or the helicopter crashes due to some "screw" being in the wrong place, they can go to jail.

I fly all the time. That does not mean I like flying. I stiffen up every time I take a plane ride, especially when there's turbulence. I always have to tell myself, "the pilot doesn't want to die and wants to be safe, too", so that calms me a little. I also look around at the flight attendant's reactions to gauge if what I view as scary turbulence is really all that bad. I could never be a flight attendant.

I am also more scared of older planes...like some of the older Southwest planes....feel so RICKETY to me. I feel safer on JetBlue. My brother says that the good thing about old planes is you know they work. I am still cautious.

Hell, I'd just settle for a call every now and then. You never call....You never write.... :(;)

I never white?

what the **** are you talking about? Im white yall, and im white yall, im white and im white and im white yall!!

oh WRITE!! i do too and we just texted back and forth when the iggles lost!!

MissU, we once lost a bird on a westpac and I was brought in to the old man's office and questioned by NIS about the work I had done. I wasnt responsible in the long run but it was a big huge reminder just how serious my job was.

So do I! Something about the GPS i the plane to tell me my exact location, altitude and speed are so very comforting.

Yes, I love the flight tracker. Sometimes instead of watching tv I'll watch that the entire trip. What sucks is Jetblue no longer flies nonstop San Diego to Dulles....so no more Jet Blue for me since I will NOT stop in JFK:(

My boyfriend and brother are helicopter mechanics.... they basically make sure helicopters are safe to fly and make sure the little jarheads learn how to do it. If something goes wrong or the helicopter crashes due to some "screw" being in the wrong place, they can go to jail.

I used to roll with an Apache unit (3-6 Cav) when I was in the Army. They told me those things breakdown every two hours of flight time. I always thought that was crazy.

(Apaches are still crucial though. I always thought of them as "sharks of the sky.")

Yeah I'll be manning up from the bottom of the Amazon.

But yeah, I'm going. Just not now (no money and school.)

I really am scared ****less though.

Naw dude, don't be. Just hop on the plane, put your headphones on, and pass the **** out for the entire trip. That's what I do. Always go to sleep as soon as I get on the plane and wake up at my destination.

Have you guys flown Virgin America??? My brother said he flew it and it was AWESOME... it flies out of Dulles and it has touch screen tv, you can download mp3s, etc etc. Same airbus as JetBlue. www.virginamerica.com

Yes I have. Great flight. You get a little onboard computer where you can watch TV, play games, listen to music, and order food. Great for those long flights (like east-west coast)

I used to roll with an Apache unit (3-6 Cav) when I was in the Army. They told me those things breakdown every two hours of flight time. I always thought that was crazy.

(Apaches are still crucial though. I always thought of them as "sharks of the sky.")

Yeah, they work on Hueys. I'm always like, "seriously? How do you have enough work to fill up an entire day?" But like you said, things need to be fixed continously throughout the day. My brother actually goes out and flies the things....scary!!!

Yes I have. Great flight. You get a little onboard computer where you can watch TV, play games, listen to music, and order food. Great for those long flights (like east-west coast)

It looks fabulous. Exactly my type of thing. Even mood lighting! I'm thinking of taking it to Boston in the spring.

Naw dude, don't be. Just hop on the plane, put your headphones on, and pass the **** out for the entire trip. That's what I do. Always go to sleep as soon as I get on the plane and wake up at my destination.

That's what I normally do. I don't sleep the night before the flight so when I get on the flight I just pass out. If we hit a rough patch or whatever and I wake up I'm so tired I'm just like **** it and go back to sleep.

I mean I've flown a lot over the years. Back and forth between Texas, California, Vegas and here (D.C.) I think it's just the Brazil thing.

You could drive but not very many people make that drive alive.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=25452

I was thinking about growing a beard and wearing my hair long and making that trip on a motorcycle while writing a diary the whole time. I would stop at like Leper colonies and **** and help out along the way. (I'll be surprised if anyone gets this.)

I don't know how anybody can sleep on a plane. Usually when I fly West-East coast I take the redeye, which is 4 hours long. I sleep maybe an hour of it even though I try the entire time. Then again, I always forget to get a window seat on my redeyes.... I prefer the leg room of the aisle, and it is impossible to sleep in an aisle seat. I can't sleep sitting up. I just can't.

I will never fly AA, US Airways, or United. They all suck.

Thanks for the head's up. I've flown stand by on United before and never really had any problems. That was out of IAD though, which I much prefer instead of DCA.

For some reason, I think the landing/take off patter of DCA involves some real SERIOUS curves. IAD is pretty much straight up.

Oh, and to add to scary stories....

So my brother knows a LOT more about planes and aviation than I do. So I tell him about my fears, and ask him if thunder or if turbulence itself can take down a plane. If wind can take down a plane. Basically I want him to reassure me. He basically told me if the plane is high enough, it can withstand all of that, but if it's flying too low, it is susceptible to problems.

Anyway, when we were discussing the wind, he asks me, "don't you remember that time when we landed in Hong Kong during a thunderstorm and we had to land sideways?" (Making a motion with his hands). My eyes went HUGE and I was like, "uhhhhh....NO!!!!" because if I had remembered that, I would have surely never stepped on a plane again as an adult. How scary is that?!!? I was like 5 when that happened, but he basically assured me that planes can do a lot of things and are equipped to be able to handle a lot of situations. That scared the **** out of me, though.

Thanks for the head's up. I've flown stand by on United before and never really had any problems. That was out of IAD though, which I much prefer instead of DCA.

For some reason, I think the landing/take off patter of DCA involves some real SERIOUS curves. IAD is pretty much straight up.

You have to pay for everything on those flights.

I've never flown out of National...just IAD and BWI. IAD is my favorite airport of life. The San Diego airport needs someone to fix the logistics.

I've also taken a commuter plane from San Diego to LA en route to Vegas, which scared the bejeezuses out of me because there were only like 30 people on the plane and it had PROPELLERS!!!! Never again. Flying into Vegas sucks, too. It gets so bumpy and I'm always afraid we're going to hit those hills.

Archived