Workout Thread II

PleaseBlitz

Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating

• I'm from DC and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from DC and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens. I may even LIKE the Ravens.
    • I'm from VA and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from VA and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I am ok with the Ravens

One reason is I don't have time. I am taking a night class, I've got meetings for football season, I run the weight room for football, I coach outdoor track, I have a son due in two months, the girlfriend wants me to make time to do things for her (understandable), and I have to go to birthing classes on Wednesdays and some Saturdays for the next six weeks. I work a day job and a security job on weekends... I'm not sure where the heck I'd fit this in.

I'd definitely go doctor first.

I've actually utilized low level yoga programs before. I like them.

:ols: No kidding!!

Definitely skip the birthing classes. Pointless. First time wife couldn't even stand me talking to her while she labored. Second time we had a great nurse who essentially became her labor coach. It sounds like a great idea, but in practice I was superfluous in that delivery room. I should've worn a Colt Brennan jersey.

Definitely skip the birthing classes. Pointless. First time wife couldn't even stand me talking to her while she labored.

Do you understand how hard I fought to not go to those...? I won, too. Until she spoke with another woman who said they were wonderful. She won't tell me who that woman is, probably for fear that I'll find her and scold her.

Do you understand how hard I fought to not go to those...? I won, too. Until she spoke with another woman who said they were wonderful. She won't tell me who that woman is, probably for fear that I'll find her and scold her.

She won't tell you because the woman doesn't exist. The class itself is nice, probably even useful, good bonding time pre-baby. But get into that delivery room and things start going off script (nothing serious) and a couple of hour-long classes won't be of much use. To really make it worthwhile, like any skill that requires execution, you two have to practice together outside of class. But there's no replicating the pain and pressure of the moment for her so it's not a realistic practice anyway.

Do any of you play tennis or other "stretchy" sports? I play 2-3 times a week and want to incorporate some muscle building/conditioning into it. Any routines you guys follow? I don't want to kill my body so I am probably going to do 3 days a week and focus on high reps for conditioning. Probably do some basic push/pull stuff.

Fran sucks.

I'm really happy with my CrossFit classes; been taking them 2-3 times a week since they started in my area in Jan. and am noticing unbelievable improvement in my strength. I'm most pleased with my ability to jump onto a much higher box now :ols:

I put kipping in the same boat as the people who do planks with their arms in a V shape rather than parallel. It's cheating. And it's not really a pullup.

Have you done "Fran"? You'll do about anything to get your chin above the frickin bar.

I put kipping in the same boat as the people who do planks with their arms in a V shape rather than parallel. It's cheating. And it's not really a pullup.

I don't consider it cheating at a pullup because it's not a pullup. It is a totally different exercise. It's still an exercise though. Try Fran and then tell me I'm wrong.

Fran does suck. I can't stand Fran. :mad: :silly: (whips my ass damnit). I've had to do home workouts since moving here so I've relied a lot on body weight exercise complexes and some crossfit type programs. One that I've done several times a week is a pushup,shuttle run,and pullup routine. 20 or more pushups,followed by five 20 yard shuttle runs,then doing as many pullups as possible. Do that 5 times. I think I managed to get the time down to a little less than 15 minutes. I followed that with the body weight complex. Push-ups,pullups,dips,tri dips,than reverse grip,(close),pull-ups. Oh yeah. Plyo's and abs thrown in as well.

:thud:

:)

I don't consider it cheating at a pullup because it's not a pullup. It is a totally different exercise. It's still an exercise though. Try Fran and then tell me I'm wrong.

Crossfit people apparently consider it a pullup as thats what they called them in the video. No argument from me on kipping being a different exercise...i just dont think they should call it something it's not.

It finally happened, I am under 200 pounds with a total of 40 pounds lost so far. Yep, I was and still am a fat chick, but damn it feels good to be under 200. In October I got involved in Highland Games, so I have been doing a lot of weight training and conditioning. My strength has increased and my waistline has decreased, so that is nice.

It finally happened, I am under 200 pounds with a total of 40 pounds lost so far. Yep, I was and still am a fat chick, but damn it feels good to be under 200. In October I got involved in Highland Games, so I have been doing a lot of weight training and conditioning. My strength has increased and my waistline has decreased, so that is nice.

:applause:

Good job! Keep it up! As a fellow female, I'm very impressed. :)

Do any of you play tennis or other "stretchy" sports? I play 2-3 times a week and want to incorporate some muscle building/conditioning into it. Any routines you guys follow? I don't want to kill my body so I am probably going to do 3 days a week and focus on high reps for conditioning. Probably do some basic push/pull stuff.

I play quite a bit of USTA tennis competitively and as far as conditioning, plyometrics have been the best conditioning for me. I also attend a cardio tennis class once a week and focus on a lot of lateral movement. Basically, conditioning with short bursts of power simulating what you encounter in a match is what I've been told by my coaches to do. Warm-up for matches, conditioning and Crossfit all involve dynamic stretching.

As far as strength training, I typically stick to my Crossfit classes, but have to change some of the exercises to protect my right shoulder (years of tennis have created some painful tendonitits I occasionally have to get cortison shots for, hence trying to stay away from exercises that further agitate it - push-ups and other chest exercises, primarily).

I don't know if you're looking for a specific routine with exercises or what, but that's my general training schedule...

Nice going.

It finally happened, I am under 200 pounds with a total of 40 pounds lost so far. Yep, I was and still am a fat chick, but damn it feels good to be under 200.

:beavisnbutthead:

Fantastic! Treat yo-self!

And best of luck in continuing on your course. I'm about 2 years in for my weight loss, and I can't believe how good I feel most of the time compared two a few years ago. (And I'm still fat as hell:evilg:).

Down about 27 pounds and working for another 10 or so,(this since about mid to late December). Finally going to join a gym here,(have quite the discount going right now),and shake things up even more. See if I can't get down to 180 or so. :)

Down about 27 pounds and working for another 10 or so,(this since about mid to late December). Finally going to join a gym here,(have quite the discount going right now),and shake things up even more. See if I can't get down to 180 or so. :)

Congrats man, great job. If you get down to 180, you should celebrate by renaming yourself Carson Valley Skins on ES :silly:

I ran my first race on Saturday, the Shamrock 8K. I've never been much of a runner, but thought I would add it to my fitness routine, to try and shake things up a bit. Finished the race in 52:17. I was shooting for a 10 to 11 minute mile, and this puts me right in there. Room for improvement definitely, but I'm happy with it. Next up is a mud race called project mud. Only 5K, but laced with 20 obstacles.

Just got a Nike Fuelband today and so far I love it. I need to do a little more research on how "fuel points" are calculated, but the band gives you your "fuel points," steps taken, calories burned and time. It's basically like a glorified pedometer (if you're looking for something with a HR monitor, GPS, etc, this wouldn't be the device to get). The thing I like about it is that wearing it all day keeps me cognizant of my activity level and the goal I've set for the day. As I increase my daily fuel point goals, I think it will push me to be more active throughout the day just to meet the goal by the end of the day. Anyway, that's my experience with it so far. Anyone else have one of these???

I ran my first race on Saturday, the Shamrock 8K. I've never been much of a runner, but thought I would add it to my fitness routine, to try and shake things up a bit. Finished the race in 52:17. I was shooting for a 10 to 11 minute mile, and this puts me right in there. Room for improvement definitely, but I'm happy with it. Next up is a mud race called project mud. Only 5K, but laced with 20 obstacles.

Congrats! The mud race sounds pretty similar to what some of my CrossFit friends and I signed up for this summer: Tough Mudder. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked on the course, haha!

Archived