Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas Eager to Prove His Worth (MET)

Thinking Skins

I didn't see this posted, so I thought I'd share it.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Thomas_Eager_to_Prove_His_Worth_31000.jsp

Thomas Eager to Prove His Worth

30988.jpg

Devin Thomas heard what the critics were saying.

He heard the comparisons to other rookie wide receivers, from Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson and Denver’s Eddie Royal, who produced strong seasons last year.

Why wasn’t Thomas, the Redskins’ top pick in the NFL Draft last April, as involved in the Redskins’ offense?

Posed the question, Thomas said he believes that every situation is different for rookies

Jackson and Royal were put in situations where they had to start early in their careers, he said.

Thomas had time to learn and work his way into the lineup behind veteran starters Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El.

“People are going to make their judgments about me, but it’s a tough learning curve and you have to figure things out,” he said. “My situation was totally different from the other rookies. But I have the offseason to get things right and get ready for next year.

“I’m anxious to take what I learned last year and just hit the ground running.”

Thomas played in all 16 games as a rookie last season, mostly serving as a third receiver, and finished with 15 catches for 120 yards.

He also had a 29-yard touchdown run on a wide receiver reverse in Week 13 against the New York Giants. The play was memorable because Thomas followed blocking by Jason Campbell to the end zone.

Thomas was slowed by a hamstring injury in training camp and missed most of preseason, slowing his progress in Jim Zorn’s offense.

As a result of his absence, Thomas did not get the practice time to fully learn the precision of running the West Coast system.

Zorn encouraged Thomas to focus in on route depths and break points.

By season’s end, Zorn said he developed more trust in Thomas.

“Devin has been playing faster,” Zorn said. “[i’m] feeling good about where he is going and the speed that he is playing with. He’s more confident.”

Thomas had plenty to learn in his first season in the NFL. He really had just one standout season at Michigan State before the Redskins drafted him in the second round last year.

In 2007, Thomas had 79 catches for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns for the Spartans.

That performance drew the Redskins’ interest. Coaches wanted a taller receiver to complement Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El, and Thomas’s 6-2, 218-pound frame fit the bill.

The team added more size at wide receiver by drafting 6-4, 219-pound Malcolm Kelly later in the second round, but he was slowed by a knee injury most of last season.

Thomas’s adjustment came not only in learning new pass routes but also competing against elite level cornerbacks.

“The biggest thing I learned is patience and continuing to work hard,” he said. “It’s a long season and you have to realize that each week is a new week with new challenges and new things to learn. You have to keep on going.

“There were some ups and downs--that’s how things happen sometimes. But I feel like I can come in here [next season] and do everything right and play with a lot of confidence.”

Many wide receivers often show great strides in the second NFL season.

Cincinnati’s Chad Johnson, for example, jumped from 28 catches as a rookie to 69 catches, 1,169 yards and five touchdowns in Year 2.

Campbell knows the development of Thomas and Kelly could go a long way toward helping the Redskins’ 19th-ranked offense take the next step.

“I am sure those two guys will really mature, because we have to count on them,” Campbell said. “When the latter part of last season came, some of the tougher defenses forced us to rely on younger guys.

“So we have to make sure that we mature there and make sure that we are on the same page together. It is not about how fast you are or what kind of talent you have. You have to understand the different concepts of route running and gain confidence.

“A lot of that just has to do with experience.”

This was a good post and i believe Thomas might be more of that 3 year guy. I think Malcolm kelly could contribute more next year and im praying his knees heal. Thomas learning curve looked pretty big but his speed was getting faster and faster at the end of the season

I don't buy it. I thought on his exit interview he was all eager to 'get away from football' for awhile. Sure he wants to prove his worth.. in madden. I'm not saying he's a bust but I didn't like his maturity coming into the league. Being out of shape is what caused the hammy problem and his lack of motivation caused me to not trust him.

I hope he proves me wrong. He has tremendous God given talent. I hope he uses it and his head as well.

Thomas may not have produced big numbers this year, but he showed flashes of big playmaking ability on the long TD that got called back and on the reverse for a TD.

He improved as the season went on, and proved to be an asset as a blocker and on ST. I'm confident that he will continue to improve and have a solid 09' season.

He heard the comparisons to other rookie wide receivers, from Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson and Denver’s Eddie Royal, who produced strong seasons last year.

I am going to go out on a limb here, but it might have to do with Mcnabb & Cutler >>> JC.

What a joke of an article! All I see are excuses here. The skins have had TERRIBLE play at wide out by ARE and Thrash. Suddenly it's asking too much that our first pick of the draft actually get on the field consistently? Laughable.

I want him to do well but the attitude that all is well when he failed to make an impact isn't what I'm looking for.

"wah wah wah Thomas is a bust because he didn't produce as a rookie. We should have drafted DeShawn Jaksen or Eddy Roeyal"

I think I've successfully emulated some of the members of this board. :)

Emulate this: Thomas is probably a bust. Zorn included, people agree he is a cement head. Remember Rod Gardner who couldn't put together an understandable sentence? Remember a certain Mr. Westbrook who has the brains of a radio controlled racing car? Bone heads make bad receivers. He is a bone head according to the coach. Maybe he will surprise us all, but nobody trusts the guy, that is clear.

That's nice, but what I wanted to hear was:

Devin Thomas really has a great understanding of the offense. He is running very precise routes and he has good timing with Jason Campbell.

Instead they said he is fast. I already knew he was fast.

Like Campbell said, it doesn't matter how fast you are. You need to understand the concepts of route running and be on the same page with the QB.

He even admitted that he had a tough learning curve - "totally different from the other rookies." I guess he didn't realize that DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal both played in a West Coast Offense, too.

Emulate this: Thomas is probably a bust. Zorn included, people agree he is a cement head. Remember Rod Gardner who couldn't put together an understandable sentence? Remember a certain Mr. Westbrook who has the brains of a radio controlled racing car? Bone heads make bad receivers. He is a bone head according to the coach. Maybe he will surprise us all, but nobody trusts the guy, that is clear.
I'm not saying you're lying here, or even bending the truth slightly, just curious as to when/where Zorn said DT was a fool.

Archived