Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas Eager to Prove His Worth (MET)

Thinking Skins

the learning curve from college to the pros is so steep that any production from a rookie, in my opinion, is icing on the cake... the only thing I do expect (hope for) is a good attitude and work ethic... from everything I've read, thomas has been suspect in both areas...

second year the expectations are real and these guys will have to step up... especially if we make some off-season moves that put them in the line-up based on the roster...

Before everyone discredits the JLC article because he has some agenda against the skins, wouldn't you think that redskins.com has an agenda to make sure the players are painted in the best light.

I am a big supporter of DT and hope that he can turn into our top receiver one day. However he is a long way away. As someone else said on here it is not going to just click for him one day if he is at home playing madden all off season.

I have read allot of people on here talk about how good on blocking and special teams play was... I also remember him trying to tackle santana himself on the punt return foe a touchdown in the Lions game and also drawing several holding flags while doing his great job of blocking.

well, if redskins.com is reporting it, it must be true.

Again, the only truth that we know about the article is that the quotes can be credited to Zorn, Thomas and whoever else is actually quoted. JLC stirs up hype when he has a negative feeling about the Redskins and calls it an 'undisclosed source'. So yeah, this is a redskins.com article, but it has the rookie saying he wants to get better and the coach saying he was improving throughout the year. I'd like to have had more to grasp hold of, but this article gives me more than the JLC article.

This was a very refreshing read....

I've been staying out of the Stadium because each time I come in here I feel like I'm tying the noose a little tighter on any hope I have for next year.

I hope these guys come out swinging :point2sky

I've been noticing that more lately too. I've been trying to post some more inspiring, or at least thought provoking and discussion oriented threads lately (as opposed to the many "I have Vinny", "I hate Zorn", "I hate JC", "I hate CP", etc rants.

Before everyone discredits the JLC article because he has some agenda against the skins, wouldn't you think that redskins.com has an agenda to make sure the players are painted in the best light.

True, but the problem with JLC's articles isn't necessarily his agenda. Its that his agenda motivates his articles. So we could have a simple statement, and JLC always tries to twist it and slant it into a stab at the Skins. So I guess the truth is somewhere in between the biases of JLC and redskins.com.

I am a big supporter of DT and hope that he can turn into our top receiver one day. However he is a long way away. As someone else said on here it is not going to just click for him one day if he is at home playing madden all off season.

I have read allot of people on here talk about how good on blocking and special teams play was... I also remember him trying to tackle santana himself on the punt return foe a touchdown in the Lions game and also drawing several holding flags while doing his great job of blocking.

Well, his blocking on special teams was very good, as well as his tackling. Thats not to say that he didn't make some mistakes (like the play you talk about, but wasn't that the play we scored on?). But from what I read, the fact that he was willing to do special teams and could do it well was one thing that kept him active early in the season when he wasn't getting too much playing time (as opposed to Fred Davis who they say wasn't playing Special teams too well, so he stayed inactive).

Again, the only truth that we know about the article is that the quotes can be credited to Zorn, Thomas and whoever else is actually quoted. JLC stirs up hype when he has a negative feeling about the Redskins and calls it an 'undisclosed source'. So yeah, this is a redskins.com article, but it has the rookie saying he wants to get better and the coach saying he was improving throughout the year. I'd like to have had more to grasp hold of, but this article gives me more than the JLC article.

true. i think jlc and skins.com represent both ends of the spectrum.

jlc is too much doom and gloom. skins.com is all hip hip hooray.

the truth probably lays somewhere in between.

I know it's still speculation, but I think the rumors about Moss being traded might have something to do with this article. Part of running a franchise is trusting that your young developing prospects will pan out, so that you can move on without the over-priced older guys.

If we are really putting 'Tana on the trade block, that means the staff must have SOME confidence in our young receivers. I think Devin Thomas can truly make an impact on this offense in the same way Moss has. But it better happen soon!

I would be much happier about Thomas's lack of production if it was just the change from NCAA to NFL. I understand with one year of DI football he has a lot to learn about the position and football in general. That being said there is no excuse for not putting the effort in.

If he has trouble running routes then it's on him to get out in his back yard and run some routes. If the playbook is confusing him I'm sure there is any number of players and coaches that would love to sit down with him after meetings/practice and go over whatever questions he may have.

I'm not giving up on Devin, I still think he can and will become a "good" reciever in this league. But this article is full of excuses. I don't want to hear "my situation is different than theirs" I want to hear "I'm going to put the extra effort in to improve."

I know it's still speculation, but I think the rumors about Moss being traded might have something to do with this article. Part of running a franchise is trusting that your young developing prospects will pan out, so that you can move on without the over-priced older guys.

If we are really putting 'Tana on the trade block, that means the staff must have SOME confidence in our young receivers. I think Devin Thomas can truly make an impact on this offense in the same way Moss has. But it better happen soon!

That's a good point. Also it could be in response to the DT hate going around, as people have mentioned. But like you said, stir up propaganda (doesn't matter if it's true or not, I hope it's true) since Moss is on the block. Make sure people like and don't have an issue with our recieving corp once Moss leaves. Make sure people actually believe we can do well with DT, ARE, and Kelly, along with Cooley and Davis, and that we don't need Moss. As much as I would have liked to get rid of ARE instead of Moss, we will get better picks for Moss.

true. i think jlc and skins.com represent both ends of the spectrum.

jlc is too much doom and gloom. skins.com is all hip hip hooray.

the truth probably lays somewhere in between.

If Redskins.com was all hip hip hooray, the article would not have even brought up what critics were saying about him.

The article acknowledges that Thomas struggled in his rookie year.

And the author :) asked Thomas what he felt he could do to improve and measure up in 2009.

I'm not sure if that's hip hip hooray, but it is fair.

Emulate this: Thomas is probably a bust. Zorn included, people agree he is a cement head. Remember Rod Gardner who couldn't put together an understandable sentence? Remember a certain Mr. Westbrook who has the brains of a radio controlled racing car? Bone heads make bad receivers. He is a bone head according to the coach. Maybe he will surprise us all, but nobody trusts the guy, that is clear.

Roddy White faced some of the same exact criticisms in Atlanta his first two years in the league. He was overweight, didn't absorb the playbook, and didn't show the work ethic requisite to be a NFL starter.

That all changed once he decided to grow up. He's now one of the best receivers in the NFL.

Just because DT isn't exhibiting those traits yet doesn't mean he'll never do so. He isn't "probably" anything because you can't judge him based on one season at 21 years of age.

You can't say he's "probably" a bust any more than I can say he's "probably" going to be a star.

I am going to go out on a limb here, but it might have to do with Mcnabb & Cutler >>> JC.

Are you seriously blaming Campbell for the fact that DT ran poor routes, didn't have a very good work ethic, and didn't get very much playing time because the coach apparently didn't think he understood the offense well enough? :doh:

Archived