Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chad Rinehart is gonna be a MONSTER next year!

Thinking Skins

With everybody talking about the OL, I just wanted to remind people about a guy we invested a pick in last year.

17520.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/chad-rinehart?id=300

Pick Analysis: Rinehart was very impressive at the Senior Bowl and has good strength. He's able to pull and moves well for a guy his size. He may have potential to play tackle as well, but has not played against strong competition so he will need some time to develop. He gives the Redskins depth on the offensive line with a chance to grow into a starter.

Overview Professional scouts flocked to Northern Iowa to see what many feel is the NCAA Subdivision's premier draft prospect in 2007. One of the most dominant left tackles in the game, Rinehart anchored the Panthers' offensive line since moving into the lineup as a freshman.

The decorated blocker is equally proficient in opening holes for the ground game or sliding back to protect the quarterback's blind side in passing situations. With Rinehart at left tackle, Northern Iowa has averaged over 400 yards per game in total offense (410.84 yards per game) over the last three seasons. The team ranked 10th in rushing (219.36 yards per game) and fourth in total offense (408.27 ypg) during his junior year.

At Boone High School, Rinehart was a standout offensive lineman. He earned All-State second-team honors as both a junior and senior. He was also a first-team All-District and All-Conference choice during his final two seasons. Rinehart also starred for the track team, qualifying for the state finals in the discus.

Pursued by the Naval Academy, Rinehart decided to enroll at Northern Iowa. He spent the 2003 season competing as an offensive tackle on the scout team. In 2004, he took over at left tackle, starting the team's first five games before undergoing a laparoscopic appendectomy on October 21. He missed three games while recovering before returning to the field as a reserve for the team's final three contests. He finished his first season with the team with an 87.57% grade for blocking consistency, delivering four touchdown-resulting blocks in the process.

Rinehart began to establish his dominance in the trenches as a sophomore in 2005. He earned All-Gateway Conference first-team honors and was a second-team All-Northwest Region choice by Football Gazette. He completely manhandled his opponents, coming up with 134 knockdowns, including 13 touchdown-resulting blocks and an impressive 17 blocks downfield. He registered an 87.13% grade for blocking consistency, helping the team average 236.8 yards per game passing and 400.53 yards in total offense.

Rinehart garnered Associated Press and Sports Network All-American second-team honors in 2006. He was an All-Gateway Conference and All-Northwest Region first-team choice and earned his third Gateway Offensive Lineman of the Week honors during his junior campaign.

He helped a unit that ranked fourth nationally in total offense with an average of 408.27 yards per game and ranked 10th in the Division 1-AA ranks with an average of 219.36 yards per game on the ground. He delivered 105 knockdowns in 11 games, producing 17 touchdown-resulting blocks and 15 more blocks downfield. He held his opponents to just three stops behind the line of scrimmage and a total of 14 tackles (10 solo), as he led the 1-AA linemen with an 89.64% grade for blocking consistency.

As a senior, Rinehart was a consensus All-American first-team and unanimous All-Gateway Conference first-team selection. He continued his dominance, as he graded 88.64% for blocking consistency, the highest mark of any offensive lineman in the FCS ranks. He collected 103 knockdowns with 17 touchdown-resulting blocks and 12 blocks downfield. The offense responded to his blocking by averaging 457.3 yards per game, an improvement of close to 50 yards per game from the previous season.

Career Notes Rinehart has the highest career blocking consistency grade (88.5%) of any NCAA Division 1-AA (Subdivision) offensive lineman in the last 15 years...The left offensive tackle started 42 of 45 contests at left offensive tackle. He produced 409 knockdowns/key blocks, including 51 that resulted in touchdowns and 51 more that came down field.

High School Attended Boone (Ia.) High School, playing football for head coach Jon Walcyk...Earned All-State second-team honors as both a junior and senior...First-team All-District and All-Conference choice during his final two campaigns...In addition to excelling on the gridiron, he also starred for the track team, qualifying for the state finals in the discus.

Analysis Positives: Has a tall frame with good overall body thickness, especially in his legs...Has room to add additional bulk, but it could affect his overall quickness...Has good arm length and very good straight-line quickness and explosion for his size...Durable athlete with the ability to play through pain...Has very good balance on the move and takes good angles in pursuit of second-level defenders, evident by his high amount of downfield blocks every year...Shows good body control and adequate change-of-direction agility...Could shift inside to guard at the next level because of his trap-blocking skills and his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes when working in-line...All-out battler with a solid work ethic, showing a good mental grasp of the game, quickly taking plays from the chalkboard to the playing field...Hard worker in the weight room and does a nice job of using that power to deliver a jarring hand punch...Shows the explosion off the snap to easily seal the corner and has a "take no prisoners" approach taking on defenders, as he plays until the whistle and will not hesitate to punish him man...Respected team leader who will not hesitate to get vocal when a teammate fails to perform to standards...Must improve his knee bend, but backpedals quickly in pass protection, taking full advantage of his big chest, powerful arms, wide hips and thick thighs to easily wall off the defender...Has adequate quickness off the snap, showing the balance to keep his feet in attempts to gain position blocking in-line...Classic mauler who has the hand pop to shock and surprise a defender, doing a nice job of getting under the opponents' jerseys to sustain...When he keeps his pads down, he generates the explosion needed to create and maintain the rush lanes and has the ability to execute good angles to stalk and neutralize second-level defenders (eight downfield blocks in five 2007 games and 15 more in 11 game in '06)...With his strength, hand punch, body control and ability to square up, he is very effective at getting out in front on pulls and traps...Does a nice job of getting position to wall off the blitzers and displays very good balance and anchor taking on the bull rush...Very active going after other defenders after the initial block...Will deliver the crunching hand punch to keep defenders on their heels and is a very focused drive blocker who simply knocks over defenders with true aggression...Generates movement, firing low to take the defender off his feet...Knows how to extend his arms and take proper blocking angles to prevent the bull rush.

Negatives: Has good explosion coming off the snap, but might be a better fit to play inside at guard, as he is a bit of a waist-bender and struggles at times to move laterally, but does compensate with a strong hand punch and ability to maintain his anchor...Has a very powerful hand punch, but must do a better job extending to make reach blocks and keeping placement longer in attempts to sustain...Has the explosion to get back and take on edge rushers, but lacks the speed to recover when beaten off the snap...Might not have the flexibility to play tackle at the next level, but he shows the strength to leverage and create movement, along with holding the crease for the running game when redirecting inside (traits needed for an offensive guard).

Compares To...LOGAN MANKINS-New England...Like Mankins, Rinehart is a collegiate tackle who might have a quicker route to a starting job at the professional level with a potential shift to offensive guard. He is a punishing trap blocker with good explosion getting out in front when pulling. He uses his strength well to sustain and widen rush lanes, but must work on bending more at the knees than at the waist. He has a hand punch that will shock and jolt an opponent, showing improvement placing those hands as a senior than he did in the past. In isolated coverage, he will dominate a smaller opponent. With his body control and ability to square up and wall off second level defenders, he could bring immediate value with a possible shift in-line.

We have all read this before i'm sure. But unfortunately things don't go the way they expect. They are called BUSTS!!! We all hope for the sake of our team that he does pan out, but all this stuff about his past doesn't necessarily translate into the pro's. We can only wait and see.

I had high hopes for him coming into the season but was very discouraged that he couldn't even sniff active status on game day, until half the offensive line went down with injuries late in the season - and even then he still didn't play a single snap. Hopefully this is all a reflection of Jim Zorn distrusting rookies more than Joe Gibbs ever did, and not a real sign of Rinehart's future potential.

I had high hopes for him coming into the season but was very discouraged that he couldn't even sniff active status on game day, until half the offensive line went down with injuries late in the season - and even then he still didn't play a single snap. Hopefully this is all a reflection of Jim Zorn distrusting rookies more than Joe Gibbs ever did, and not a real sign of Rinehart's future potential.

I wish. Buges didn't have good things to say either. He said something about "culture shock" but more or less was just speculating what is the deal is but sounded as baffled as anyone else.

We have all read this before i'm sure. But unfortunately things don't go the way they expect. They are called BUSTS!!! We all hope for the sake of our team that he does pan out, but all this stuff about his past doesn't necessarily translate into the pro's. We can only wait and see.

C'mon now, busts? Nah, I blame the coaches for not realizing his potential. He's gonna be a monster once we stop relying on the vets on our OL. Watch either we let Kendall go or Chad's gonna compete with Thomas, but this guy is gonna be starting first game of the season next year.

Damn. He looks like the kids who would take my lunch money in line at school.

But I really hope he works out. He showed promise early in the pre-season, and then struggled in the last couple games. Hopefully Buges' gets him set to contribute next season. Really pulling for him.

Why couldn't he even get on the field to block for an extra point? I can't judge a guy who never played but that is a concern in itself. I thought the only rookies to never see the field were all QBs.

We had Geisinger attempt to play tackle one game. Rinehart was at the very bottom of the depth chart all season until we picked up a few scrubs for the last two games. He did look good in preseason from what I recall and gets nothing but praise from the coaches so it is odd to me that he rode the pine.

C'mon now, busts? Nah, I blame the coaches for not realizing his potential. He's gonna be a monster once we stop relying on the vets on our OL. Watch either we let Kendall go or Chad's gonna compete with Thomas, but this guy is gonna be starting first game of the season next year.

I hope he is not a bust. Its just by all reports he hasn't looked good in practice and is not ready.

I wish. Buges didn't have good things to say either. He said something about "culture shock" but more or less was just speculating what is the deal is but sounded as baffled as anyone else.

"Culture shock" might be apt - the D-lineman he faced at Northern Iowa were, by and large, nothing compared to the NFL. Still, if he's got the raw physical skills and the brains, Bugel should be able to coach him up to this level.

Here's a quote from Buges that kinda pissed me off. It shows his loyalty to the vets:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/27/AR2008122701123.html?hpid=sec-sports

Stephon Heyer, a 24-year-old tackle who went undrafted out of the University of Maryland two years ago, beat out Jansen in preseason for the right tackle spot but lost his job when he was injured and only now is stepping in for the injured Samuels. Jason Fabini, 34, will start for Jansen at right tackle today because Jansen, too, has a knee injury. Chad Rinehart, a third-round draft pick this year, has not played a down. And each day at practice, Joe Bugel, their 68-year-old coach, has prodded them all, simultaneously demanding of and fiercely loyal to his veterans.

"Those guys don't look over their shoulder," Bugel said last week. "They're not afraid of losing their jobs. I've always had a lot of success with older guys. That's why it's sad missing the playoffs this year. They're a year older. It's another year on them."

See, Buges just doesn't want to let Rinehart play cause he knows that Rinehart's gonna take the job of one of them vets, and he doesn't like it. Thats why Heyer got benched for Jansen. But watch, our OL is gonna be dominant next year.

The one pick we actually used on the Oline has turned out to be a waste so far

so far? Its been one year and we didn't have any injuries at guard. Buges didn't want to open up the OL for a competition (at any spots) no matter how bad the starters were playing. But when this guy gets his chance, we're not gonna be disappointed.

Here's a quote from Buges that kinda pissed me off. It shows his loyalty to the vets:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/27/AR2008122701123.html?hpid=sec-sports

See, Buges just doesn't want to let Rinehart play cause he knows that Rinehart's gonna take the job of one of them vets, and he doesn't like it. Thats why Heyer got benched for Jansen. But watch, our OL is gonna be dominant next year.

Our OL is going to be "dominant" next year? Based on what changes? You've never seen a regular season snap for Rinehart, Heyer is barely a replacement level OT prospect, (and one who failed to unseat perhaps the worst pass blocking RT in the NFL in Jansen), Rabach and Thomas have declined to well below average interior OL, and Samuels will be coming off serious injury and a visible decline in his lateral movement and footwork.

IF we land 2 dominant OL prospects in the draft, who are impact ready from day 1, IF Rinehart moves inside to OLG and pays immediate dividends, and IF they finally let Heyer put Jansen out of his misery at ORT... THEN we might be vastly improved for 2009 (and our offense will greatly improve along with it). However, stating that our OL is going to be dominant as it is currently designed, just because a 3rd round lower division converted OT will have a year of riding the pine under his belt? :)

Our OL is going to be "dominant" next year? Based on what changes? You've never seen a regular season snap for Rinehart, Heyer is barely a replacement level OT prospect, (and one who failed to unseat perhaps the worst pass blocking RT in the NFL in Jansen), Rabach and Thomas have declined to well below average interior OL, and Samuels will be coming off serious injury and a visible decline in his lateral movement and footwork.

IF we land 2 dominant OL prospects in the draft, who are impact ready from day 1, IF Rinehart moves inside to OLG and pays immediate dividends, and IF they finally let Heyer put Jansen out of his misery at ORT... THEN we might be vastly improved for 2009 (and our offense will greatly improve along with it). However, stating that our OL is going to be dominant as it is currently designed, just because a 3rd round lower division converted OT will have a year of riding the pine under his belt? :)

aye, if you wanna be a hata, then you go right ahead.

I like your positive spin. I certainly hope that WAS the case, and Buges and Zorn no longer take that approach and have the best man win.

-Joe Bugel

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=293&sid=1455782

"He's a tough dude,"

"He's got good football intelligence, and he's one rookie that came in and is not intimidated. A lot of those guys get saucer eyes, you line up against Jason Taylor and probably want to get his autograph. He's really come along in camp."

-Zorn (same source)

"He's caught everybody's attention,"

"And on the o-line, I think it's hard to break into the crusty group. He's done a really nice job earning their respect."

"Football intelligence - he is a smart and a tough guy," Bugel said. "He's not intimidated, and the game's not too big for him. Great preparation - he takes immaculate notes in the meetings. He really wants to be a real good football player. He spends a lot of time watching Chris Samuels, which is a real plus. He's learning on the job, and he's done a great job."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/09/rinehart-gets-a-chance-to-shine-against-buffalo/

Archived