Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hyundai Dealers: Customers Can Return Car After Major Life Changes

Leonard Washington

http://www.justnews.com/automotive/18399996/detail.html?rss=mia&psp=news

MIAMI -- As many auto dealers look for new ways to get customers into the showrooms, South Florida Hyundai dealers are offering a first-of-its-kind, one-year guarantee.

Beginning Saturday morning, Hyundai is offering a program called Hyundai Assurance, a one-year vehicle return program that will allow new car customers to return their cars in case of life-altering circumstances within the first year.

Under the program, customers who lose their jobs or are self-employed and are involved in personal bankruptcy can return their cars. The deal even reaches beyond economic woes, allowing people to return cars in case of losing their driver's licenses due to medical impairment, becoming physically disabled or accidental death.

"There's never been a program like this in the history of the car business. Hyundai is the first one to do this, and they're announcing it nationwide on Saturday," said South Florida auto dealer Rick Case.

The guarantee comes as economic woes contribute to tanking auto sales.

"This is probably the worst I've ever seen in the car business," said Case, who has been in the business for 45 years.

Dealers are doing whatever they can to get customers into their showrooms. A few weeks ago, a dealership in Davie offered a buy one get one free deal.

Case told Local 10 he was shocked when the president of Hyundai called him two weeks ago to tell him about the Hyundai Assurance program.

"This program makes it possible for people who were concerned about the economy, maybe concerned about their job, to buy a car and not worry about it for a whole year," Case said.

Shoppers told Local 10 they were surprised at the offer.

"That's incredible," said customer Angel Brotons. "I mean, think about it, that with no questions asked, if something goes wrong, now, what are you going to do? Because now you're looking at, how am I going to make a car payment? I don't want to lose the car. I don't want to hurt my credit."

Here's Hyundai's official take on the program.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financing/HyundaiAssurance/HyundaiAssurance.aspx

http://hyundaiassurance.walkawayusa.com/

A decade ago Hyundai pioneered America's Best Warrantyâ„¢. Now we're providing another kind of confidence. Finance or lease any new Hyundai, and if in the next year you lose your income*, we'll let you return it. That's the Hyundai Assurance.

Starting today you can feel good about buying a car, despite these current times. If you find that you cannot make your payment because of a covered life changing event, we'll allow you to return your vehicle and walk away from your loan obligation - and in most cases we will cover most, if not all of the difference.

What if I have a major life change making me hundreds of thousands of dollars and suddenly want something better than a Hyundai? Can I return it then too?

What if after a year of owning a Hyundai I realize I made a huge mistake and bought the worlds biggest piece of crap? Can I return it then?

In all seriousness though, that's an awesome marketing campaign. Won't convince me to buy one though.

What if I have a major life change making me hundreds of thousands of dollars and suddenly want something better than a Hyundai? Can I return it then too?

You come into hundreds of thousands and would worry over a few grand?

Damn, I just thought my customers were cheapskates :silly:

btw I bought one in 01,still have it and might get another...I'm cheap too.

Hyundai is a superior car. People who say its crap car maker A. don't know cars or B. did not do their research. My family has 2 Hyundai's, along with my neighbor; none of us has had any problems with them (if it does, most of the time its covered by their insanely good warranty). I currently drive a Volvo, where I have had nothing but problems and headaches. If I had a choice at the time of the purchase, I would have bought a Hyundai.

Hyundai is a superior car. People who say its crap car maker A. don't know cars or B. did not do their research. My family has 2 Hyundai's, along with my neighbor; none of us has had any problems with them (if it does, most of the time its covered by their insanely good warranty). I currently drive a Volvo, where I have had nothing but problems and headaches. If I had a choice at the time of the purchase, I would have bought a Hyundai.

I wouldn't say Hyundai has a superior car (they still need to improve in the styling department), but they have every possible creature comfort and safety feature one would want in a car. You can't beat their non-deductible 10 year-100k warranty...now they add a 1 year buy-back? What does this say about Hyundai? It says Hyundai has tremendous confidence in their cars and they believe you will love them if you give them a try.

Bingo. A nice marketing angle and nothing more.

but a nice marketing angle that admittedly will offer a major unheard of benefit to some people who unfortunately turn out needing it.

great move by hyundai. i say it all the time, every late model hyundai i get as a rental im impressed with. have not gotten any 09's but the 08 sedans are better than most of their competition in nearly every way, you can tell driving it its just a better car for the money than ANY comparable us car, and most comparable japanese cars.

I thought that their warranty had some ridiculous requirements like pay to have the head removed and inspected at 36k miles and again at 70k to keep the warranty valid?

I believe the Chrysler/Dodge 100k warranty has a deductible. For Hyundai/Kia you pay for nothing and get bumper to bumper-5years/60k and powertrain 10 years/100k.

People can hate all they want, but if money is tight and you need a new car, you'd be a fool not to look at a Hyundai.

Sounds like a cool enough deal, but why would you buy a new car if you're worried about your financial situation?? Are there no cheaper, used cars that will fit your needs? Does your current car not do the job?

Well...most of us don't have the gift of a crystal ball as to whether or not we will still be employed in 10 months.

Archived