Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SHANAHAN FIRED: Redskins should FIRE Zorn and HIRE Shanahan (merged)

Frediemac

And, this could have gone in the thread currently two above this one dealing with the same subject matter.
Since when has that stopped anyone?

I'm also tired of seeing:

"I searched for X topic being posted and didn't find anything" posted at the top of a "new thread".

It seems like 8 out of 10 times, it's a lie - if they really did do a search and didn't find anything - why make a point of it?

Shannahan was fired for illegal use of a tanning bad. We already have one of those, why tempt fate twice?
What's the ref hand signal for THAT!?
I'm telling you guys, Jerry Jones will make a splash and try to get him.

Watch!!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. And with the no-talent bad-attitude hacks Shanahan has picked, he'd fit right in.

Yippy lets hire an 8-8 GM/Coach to replace this 8-8 coach!

Mike Shanahan is nothing but a mediocre coach...he rode Elways coatails to 2 SB wins. Without Elway he was mediocre....his last 3 years in Denver he didnt make it into the playoffs even. He was the GM out there as well...so nobody to blame but him.

Let Zorn stick around...one year isnt enough time to evolve into a solid coach...let him master his craft.

I think any NFL head coach could come here right now and we'd be 8-8/9-7 at best.

The personnell dept upgrade is more of a priority than the coaching in my opinion.

Zorn already HAS a winning record, is that not good enough for ya'll?! 1st you want continuity, then the pretty, then continuity, back and forth, merry'go'round, jus STFU and give this man a chance!!! We'll never win anything is we keep changing our system every year. Christ already :doh:

Yippy lets hire an 8-8 GM/Coach to replace this 8-8 coach!

Mike Shanahan is nothing but a mediocre coach...he rode Elways coatails to 2 SB wins. Without Elway he was mediocre....his last 3 years in Denver he didnt make it into the playoffs even. He was the GM out there as well...so nobody to blame but him.

Let Zorn stick around...one year isnt enough time to evolve into a solid coach...let him master his craft.

I think any NFL head coach could come here right now and we'd be 8-8/9-7 at best.

The personnell dept upgrade is more of a priority than the coaching in my opinion.

No, no, no...the right thing to do is to continually fire coaches after one or two years, to constantly go after big names players and coaches, to cut all rookies that don't contribute immediately...oh, and to complain that Snyder isn't patient enough.

Well, if you call 2 Superbowls proven. I do.

138-86. I don't know. Sounds pretty good to me. Is that proven enough? I mean, he's no QB coach from Seattle, but he'd do okay.

Here we have Shanahan and Cowher both interested in continuing coaching, and we are committed to Mr. "medium" Jim Zorn.

These are the reasons this club stinks it up each year.

damn I didnt know he was 138-86, not bad. The two SB's he had Elway, campbell is no elway. I guess I underestimated Shanahan. For some reason I cant get the "we are kicking to devin hester" thing out of my head. that was so hilarious lol.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

DENVER - Mike Shanahan, the second longest-tenured NFL coach, was fired by the Denver Broncos on Tuesday after the team lost a three-game lead with three games to go in the AFC West. Shanahan, 56, coached the Broncos since 1995, behind only Tennessee's Jeff Fisher in tenure with one team. He led the Broncos to consecutive Super Bowl victories in 1998 and 1999 and compiled a record of 146-89 with the team.

This season, the Broncos had an 8-5 record but lost their final three, including a 52-21 defeat Sunday night in San Diego that gave the Chargers the division title. They are the first NFL team to blow a three-game lead with three games to go.

He also was dismissed as director of football operations.

Shanahan, who also served as offensive coordinator in Denver and San Francisco and was head coach of the Raiders in 1988 and for the first four games of 1989, has been regarded as one of the league's best offensive minds.

But the Broncos failed this season on defense, allowing 448 points, third worst in the NFL. They were 29th, or fourth worst, in yards allowed.

Shanahan had three years left on his contract, worth about $20 million.

His firing is likely to put him in demand by other teams that have fired coaches: the New York Jets, Detroit, and Cleveland.

Mike Shanahan is one of the most revered coaches in the NFL. 14 years at the helm of one team is a feat that has not been matched by many in the history of the league. Yes, the Broncos faltered at the end of the season but nobody surely seen this coming. The best bet to replace him will be the offensive minded coach in Bill Bellick, formerly of the Ravens.

Who is Bill Bellick, formerly of the Ravens? Is he the guy that calls Santana Moss, Santonio Moss?

Archived