Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2009 Draft Preview Part 2- We finished 8-8- We pick 13th...

SkinsAllDay34

I changed my mind about everette brown. I thought he was only like 6'2, he is 6'4 about 255lbs. Yea another small DE but the guy is relentless at getting to the QB.

Man only if we had enough room to go on a spending spree in FA, then we could:

Sign Hall

Sign Gross

Sign Haynesworth

Draft Everette Brown

We can save 8 million by cutting taylor, but if he is willing to reduce his salary by like 7 million lol, cuz apparently he is not worth 8 million dollars. We are under the cap already by like a couple millions. I dont know how much additional money we would save by cutting:

Springs

Jansen

letting Kendall go (have rinehart take his place)

one of the DTs (probably golston)

JUST SAY NO TO GROSS!!!

As Redskins fans, we should know what it is like to OVERPAY a 29 year old RT? OK Jansen was a bit older but the point is we need to rebuild through youth. We can't continue to mortgage our cap and future for quick fixes.

This team is not one, two, three or five players away from being a serious contender. We need to spend wisely, groom our own young players, and build through the draft.

JUST SAY NO TO GROSS!!!

As Redskins fans, we should know what it is like to OVERPAY a 29 year old RT? OK Jansen was a bit older but the point is we need to rebuild through youth. We can't continue to mortgage our cap and future for quick fixes.

This team is not one, two, three or five players away from being a serious contender. We need to spend wisely, groom our own young players, and build through the draft.

I'm telln u signing gross is smart. He's 28 now. If we get 4 really good years from him i'll be extremely pleased. The team who signs him will probably have to give him 5 years, but so what this isn't MLB contracts aren't garenteed. Plus he is way better than what we have. Then during the draft we can draft Everette Brown. Then get a guard or center in the 3rd.

I was for signing Gross until I realized that's where the strength of this year's draft will be. The only argument for signing Gross is that it would allow us to address DT in the draft. However, if we're going to throw a bunch of $$$ at a F.A. I'd much rather we did so with Haynesworth and use our draft picks to address the OL.

Even so, my preference would be to avoid the F.A. route other than some of the lower profile guys. Again, LB and P/K immediately come to mind.

tml6157, i see what you are saying and i kinda wish the same, but i dont think running back is a big issue in that we need to take a rb in the 1st. Watching Sproles for SD, he would be a GREAT compliment to portis. We should trade betts, and i have no idea how much sproles would cost. I dont think we can afford him, a FA (haynesworth, Gross), and hall.

I say trade:

-ARE for draft pick (i dont care if it is a 7th, get something for him, not a #2 and Kelly and thomas have to move up the depth chart)

-Betts for draft pick (i said before he has to be worth something decent, a mid round pick maybe)

Release:

Jansen

Springs (unless he takes a MAJOR pay cut)

Taylor (same as springs)

Dont resign:

Kendall (have Rinehart start)

and others like one of the DTs (golston, monty)

Sign:

Hall (hopefully reasonable deal and not like the one he did in Oakland)

Haynesworth

cheap serviceable WR

With the 14th pick:

Stud OT (Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Monroe, Oher, I think one has to be available, hopefully)

Trade back into the first round, around the same area and grab BJ Raji, I was just watching some highlights of him and he looks like a Mini Albert haynesworth. He just plows through O linemen, stuffs the run and blow up plays and gets to the passer also. That will help our ends.

So our O line:

Samuels/Rinehart/Rabach/Thomas/Draft Pick

Dline:

Taylor(if he takes paycut)/Haynesworth/Raji/Carter...not bad if you ask me

Another scenario i thought of was everthing the same except instead of signing Haynesworth, sign Houshmanzadah. Put him next to moss and you have a lethal 1 2 punch with Kelly and Thomas coming along. Draft OT and Raji

Now if Houshmanzadah is franchised, that scratches that scenario. Then we do everything (sign haynesworth) and instead of drafting Raji, go after a WR (Crabtree, Maclin, Hayward Bay maybe one is available)

And my final scenario. Add Rabach to the released players. Sign haynesworth, and draft OT and Alex Mack.

Ok i am done.

Draft Duke Robinson plug him into the guard spot and not worry about it for the next 10-12 years. Open up a competition in camp between Thomas and Rhino for the other guard spot. We can probably trade back a couple spots and still get Duke.

I'd chase Haynesworth and Gross with all my ammo if i'm Danny. And i'd sign a reliable kicker even if he is 40 years old thier are alot of quality kickers available this offseason, Bironas would top my list.

I was for signing Gross until I realized that's where the strength of this year's draft will be. The only argument for signing Gross is that it would allow us to address DT in the draft. However, if we're going to throw a bunch of $$$ at a F.A. I'd much rather we did so with Haynesworth and use our draft picks to address the OL.

Even so, my preference would be to avoid the F.A. route other than some of the lower profile guys. Again, LB and P/K immediately come to mind.

Yusuf, I feel we should trade down though. As I see it right now, there is a crop of tackles who are the Big 4 (J. Smith, Monroe, Oher, and A. Smith). It is true that we could get one of them where we will be, but I would rather trade down and pick up more picks. Why? This draft is going to be really deep at OL. The second crop of OT (mostly RT like Loadholt, Boone, Tupuo, Meredith, and Britton) are pretty good themselves and are better run blockers than the first group with the exception of Andre Smith. We have to many needs and as much as I'd like to have one of the Big 4, we will have to settle for one of the second crop, which is fine. Many members of this second crop are just a bit more raw than the ones in the Big 4 and with proper seasoning, they can be groomed into LTs.

As I see it right now, we need a pocket collaspsing beast like BJ Raji who is ready to make an impact right away (Raji's techinque is very good and he gets a lot of pressure because he maintains leverage). Thus, we have to trade down.

Draft Duke Robinson plug him into the guard spot and not worry about it for the next 10-12 years. Open up a competition in camp between Thomas and Rhino for the other guard spot. We can probably trade back a couple spots and still get Duke.

I'd chase Haynesworth and Gross with all my ammo if i'm Danny. And i'd sign a reliable kicker even if he is 40 years old thier are alot of quality kickers available this offseason, Bironas would top my list.

I absolutely love Duke as a prospect, but I do feel that he is a bit of a luxury. I think if we can pick up another 2nd, however, and drop down lower in the draft, he is worth taking.

Yusuf, I feel we should trade down though. As I see it right now, there is a crop of tackles who are the Big 4 (J. Smith, Monroe, Oher, and A. Smith). It is true that we could get one of them where we will be, but I would rather trade down and pick up more picks. Why? This draft is going to be really deep at OL. The second crop of OT (mostly RT like Loadholt, Boone, Tupuo, Meredith, and Britton) are pretty good themselves and are better run blockers than the first group with the exception of Andre Smith. We have to many needs and as much as I'd like to have one of the Big 4, we will have to settle for one of the second crop, which is fine. Many members of this second crop are just a bit more raw than the ones in the Big 4 and with proper seasoning, they can be groomed into LTs.

As I see it right now, we need a pocket collaspsing beast like BJ Raji who is ready to make an impact right away (Raji's techinque is very good and he gets a lot of pressure because he maintains leverage). Thus, we have to trade down.

Great post Meth. Even though I said we should stand pat in the first, I also pointed out in another thread that my dream scenario would be to trade down with Detroit for their 20th and 33rd picks in exchange for our 13th. Doing so would allow us to still have a decent first round pick while getting a second rounder without having to give up a 2010 first rounder as I proposed earlier. That would probably allow us to get Raji at #20 and the mammoth road grader Loadholt at #33 to plug in at RT.

That would still leave us with our third rounder to address OG/C. With Rhinehart (hopefully) challenging for a starting spot next season we'd be in pretty decent shape on our OL AND have a somewhat improved DL as well with Raji in the middle.

A revamped OL would do wonders for both our offensive production (a less beat up Portis and Campbell having time to actually go through his progressions) and our defense by helping to keep them fresh. IMHO with a revamped OL and a decent DT we'd be a lock to get into the paloffs.

at this point I wouldn't mind moving up in the draft to get Bradford (but this is based upon the fact that I have officially given up on JC completely and we're at least 2-3 years from being a competitive team).

We can build the Berlin wall to protect JC and he still wouldn't know what to do or how to hit WR's in stride.

at this point I wouldn't mind moving up in the draft to get Bradford (but this is based upon the fact that I have officially given up on JC completely and we're at least 2-3 years from being a competitive team).

We can build the Berlin wall to protect JC and he still wouldn't know what to do or how to hit WR's in stride.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

We need to sign Hall. We need to pick up a LB, DT or OT in FA.

I won't mention particular players, all I'll say is that we should definitely resign Hall. In terms of FA's, we should address LB in free agency, there are several quality ones available in FA, Dansby and many others like Crowell come to mind. Gross comes to mind as RT option, Haynesworth is a pipe dream, i dont think there's a chance in hell he'll be available. LB should get the bandaid, CB should get Hall, and our draft picks should be on the best available lineman period, we could use players who play any position, so simply draft the best DT, DE, LT, RT, G, C available w/each pick until late in day 2, when you can look at LB, RB and QB as need be. The 13th pick should definitely help a great deal.

That was actually a pretty good joke. :cheers:

We need to get a center and a tackle on the o-line.

We need to attain a DT and an LB.

We also should bring in a veteran FA QB.

5 players away if we keep Jason Taylor

Agree about the Center and O-line.

Agree on the DT, LB would nice but its not a huge area of concern, we definitely should not look for one in this year's draft, pick up a FA or two, or wait to draft next year.

As for the veteran QB, why the hell not? It will put the fear of losing his job under JC's ass, and if it doesn't work out, there is nothing really lost, other than Todd Collins.

Also- pick up a fast change of pace back in FA so we can mix up our running game a little bit.

Overall, I would rank it this way in need:

1. C

2. T

3. DT

4. DE

5. LB

6. Tied- QB/ Change of Pace HB/FB

Great post Meth. Even though I said we should stand pat in the first, I also pointed out in another thread that my dream scenario would be to trade down with Detroit for their 20th and 33rd picks in exchange for our 13th. Doing so would allow us to still have a decent first round pick while getting a second rounder without having to give up a 2010 first rounder as I proposed earlier. That would probably allow us to get Raji at #20 and the mammoth road grader Loadholt at #33 to plug in at RT.

That would still leave us with our third rounder to address OG/C. With Rhinehart (hopefully) challenging for a starting spot next season we'd be in pretty decent shape on our OL AND have a somewhat improved DL as well with Raji in the middle.

Yusuf man you just described my dream scenario.

I haven't looked into the draft boards enough to consider getting Detroit's 20th. That would be an amazing trade down opportunity, and they might go for it with a new GM and trying to rebuild their team completely.

If we got Raji and Loadholt together I fear what I'd do out of pure excitement.

Problem is I don't know that Raji will be there at 20. He's so dominating, and I mean over the course of his college career, not just a one year wonder kind of guy, plus he's got a great attitude and work ethic, he should go top 15, possibly even top 10 (although that'll depend on the "all important" combine probably).

At 20 we could possibly land Perria Jerry though from Ole Miss. He's a pretty damn good DT as well. Jerry and Loadholt would be excellent as well.

I wouldn't mind trading up back into the 2nd if Alex Mack was still there either, right now he's projected as a 2nd round pick. As long as the price was reasonable why not?

Jerry, Loadholt, and Mack, all in the same draft. Talk about absolute best case scenario.

among my many scenarios one of them would be fantastic to rebuild the oline.

We release jansen and rabach.

Draft OT Oher maybe, with the first pick and trade right back into the first round and get Alex Mack C from Cal. Dude is a monster that i hear can also play guard. Or Duke Robinson at Guard and Keep Rabach.

Yusuf06 your scenario is really good too, i was thinking of trade partners and Detroit came right to mind with their late 1st (via dallas) and early 2nd. Trade to get 20 and 33 from Detroit. But instead of Raji how bout sign Haynesworth. Then you go get Duke Robinson at 20 (if he is there) and Loadholt at 33. Then what Spartacus said, trade back into the 2nd to see if you can get Mack. OMG thats talking about best case scenario.

Samuels/Robinson/Mack/Thomas/Loadholt

Campbell will most definitely have time behind that line along with Portis going for 1500 yards EASY

I am getting way to far ahead of myself here LOL

I doubt that an 0-16 team (Detroit) is going to feel that they need to move up in the first round because they are that ONE player away from winning.

A revamped OL would do wonders for both our offensive production (a less beat up Portis and Campbell having time to actually go through his progressions) and our defense by helping to keep them fresh. IMHO with a revamped OL and a decent DT we'd be a lock to get into the paloffs.

I used to be high on Loadholt but not much so anymore. I am concerned about reports of laziness and slow feet among other things. Furthermore, I think he might have looked a bit better than he actually was playing next to Duke Robinson. I think if we are to get a RT in the draft, he should have the ability to switch over to LT in the future once Samuels retires. Otherwise, I feel we should just use our 3rd on a RT (Alex Boone) or start Rhinehart there.

I don't think we should overdraft at DT either. Raji is really good, but in a draft as loaded as this, he is not a top 20 pick. There are a lot of DTs of Raji's ilk in this draft class (ie Marks, Jerry, and Brace later on in the draft) and we could easily land one in the late 1st/early 2nd.

For Day 2, though, I feel we should use at least one pick to grab a scat back, because we are lacking a home run threat at RB.

QB to challange Jason ( 5 yard pass) Campbell.

Definately!! He just looks like another good college player that isn't and cannot be a good starter in the Nfl.

He cannot read Defenses, Accuracy is terrible, scared and checks down because of that, misses open people all of the time or his throws are high. He holds on to the ball until he gets hit or the DB is right on top of the receiver.

Probably, the most important thing is that the team doesn't rally around him. He doesn't have the motivation of the offense like a Peyton Manning.

We have got to get a good QB. We haven't had a good QB in so long and as a result of that we have average to bad years every year.

We can turn it around in one year with our limited picks and a little bit of luck. We probably won't be a top team, but we can set a foundation for the future and tally some nice wins.

My opinion of needs in order of importance...

1. RT - We need a legitimate starter who can both pass protect and runblock. Not Jon Jansen. Not Stephon Heyer.

2. DT - We need someone to take over for Cornelius Griffin.

3. DE - Phillip Daniels and Jason Taylor are not the answer.

4. C

5. G

6. LB

7. CB

8. LT

Archived