Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2009 Draft Preview Part 2- We finished 8-8- We pick 13th...

SkinsAllDay34

Yusuf, I feel we should trade down though. As I see it right now, there is a crop of tackles who are the Big 4 (J. Smith, Monroe, Oher, and A. Smith). It is true that we could get one of them where we will be, but I would rather trade down and pick up more picks. Why? This draft is going to be really deep at OL. The second crop of OT (mostly RT like Loadholt, Boone, Tupuo, Meredith, and Britton) are pretty good themselves and are better run blockers than the first group with the exception of Andre Smith. We have to many needs and as much as I'd like to have one of the Big 4, we will have to settle for one of the second crop, which is fine. Many members of this second crop are just a bit more raw than the ones in the Big 4 and with proper seasoning, they can be groomed into LTs.

As I see it right now, we need a pocket collaspsing beast like BJ Raji who is ready to make an impact right away (Raji's techinque is very good and he gets a lot of pressure because he maintains leverage). Thus, we have to trade down.

I agree here. Moving back about 10 spots (give or take) should get us an additional 2nd rounder. There are still names like given above plus defensive guys like Cody, Jerry, Hardy floating in the back end of the first. Then we can get another lineman in the second. I see a lot of lineman near the end of the second in mock drafts (can't say I know specifically, using others data).

I agree with trying to get haynesworth...I would not hate a pickup of Laurinitus( However its spelled) but I think the lines are a much greater need...

If we signed Haynesworth and drafted Laurinaitis our D would be sick (keeping Hall as well). We would still struggle on offense though. Maybe draft center/rt in round 3/4

I'm telln u signing gross is smart. He's 28 now. If we get 4 really good years from him i'll be extremely pleased. The team who signs him will probably have to give him 5 years, but so what this isn't MLB contracts aren't garenteed. Plus he is way better than what we have. Then during the draft we can draft Everette Brown. Then get a guard or center in the 3rd.

He will be 29 starting next season. He will literally be getting top 5 lineman money this offseason. We are not one lineman away from being serious contendors. I would hate to overspend and continue to mortgage the future when we have more pieces to fit.

I doubt that an 0-16 team (Detroit) is going to feel that they need to move up in the first round because they are that ONE player away from winning.

With 2 firsts, 1 second and 2 thirds they should be able to get some talent and win a few next year (might take until mid-season to get them there).

I'm beginning to realize more and more that Gaurd is a top priority for us this offseason.

Rinehart may not be ready to be in a starting role next season according to reports.

Kendell is old and probably won't be resigned.

Thomas is old and oft-injured.

We have no depth a Gaurd.

If we can trade down. I would like a guy like Max Unger who can play Center and Gaurd who can eventually replace Rabach.

I used to be high on Loadholt but not much so anymore. I am concerned about reports of laziness and slow feet among other things. Furthermore, I think he might have looked a bit better than he actually was playing next to Duke Robinson. I think if we are to get a RT in the draft, he should have the ability to switch over to LT in the future once Samuels retires. Otherwise, I feel we should just use our 3rd on a RT (Alex Boone) or start Rhinehart there.

You're right. I sort of forgot how he got abused by Orakpo. It would be nice to get an OT that we could start on the right and eventually switch over to LT in a year or two when Samuels is done. However if that's the plan I don't know that we should trade down. As I said before, my first choice at #13 for OT is Jason Smith who I think really is the 2nd best OT in the draft. (Eugene Monroe=overated).

Even so if we do trade down, this OT class is so deep that there would still be plenty of options for us at either #20 or #33. Given our weakness and age all along the OL, as long as we don't draft a bust we'll greatly improve our offense. Our line was just painful to watch at times this year. :doh:

I don't think we should overdraft at DT either. Raji is really good, but in a draft as loaded as this, he is not a top 20 pick. There are a lot of DTs of Raji's ilk in this draft class (ie Marks, Jerry, and Brace later on in the draft) and we could easily land one in the late 1st/early 2nd.

For Day 2, though, I feel we should use at least one pick to grab a scat back, because we are lacking a home run threat at RB.

Agreed about Raji. He's a good DT, but not as quick as Jerry. Jerry is much quicker but has an injury history and we just can't afford a Bobby Wilson redux at this point. Therefore, I wouldn't reach on either one of them. If we pass on both of them, I sure would love to see us get BC's other DT in the middle rounds though.

As for a scatback, I agree but we have to think about prioritizing our needs. With better blocking up front Portis shouldn't break down as much and Betts (or Rock if we trade Betts) would be more effective in relief of CPo. It is a need but it can wait until next year or be left to the late rounds or perhaps an undrafted F.A.

You're right. I sort of forgot how he got abused by Orakpo. It would be nice to get an OT that we could start on the right and eventually switch over to LT in a year or two when Samuels is done. However if that's the plan I don't know that we should trade down. As I said before, my first choice at #13 for OT is Jason Smith who I think really is the 2nd best OT in the draft. (Eugene Monroe=overated).

Even so if we do trade down, this OT class is so deep that there would still be plenty of options for us at either #20 or #33. Given our weakness and age all along the OL, as long as we don't draft a bust we'll greatly improve our offense. Our line was just painful to watch at times this year. :doh:

Agreed about Raji. He's a good DT, but not as quick as Jerry. Jerry is much quicker but has an injury history and we just can't afford a Bobby Wilson redux at this point. Therefore, I wouldn't reach on either one of them. If we pass on both of them, I sure would love to see us get BC's other DT in the middle rounds though.

As for a scatback, I agree but we have to think about prioritizing our needs. With better blocking up front Portis shouldn't break down as much and Betts (or Rock if we trade Betts) would be more effective in relief of CPo. It is a need but it can wait until next year or be left to the late rounds or perhaps an undrafted F.A.

Moore is sliding on draft boards by all accounts. If we trade down, he would be worth snagging. Jason Smith out of Baylor is climbing boards and seems to be the 3rd tackle in the draft. Loadholt is a second rounder for sure.

I would love to trade down into the late 20's and get Max Unger who is a Center and can play gaurd and snag a DT in the early second.

I agree here. Moving back about 10 spots (give or take) should get us an additional 2nd rounder. There are still names like given above plus defensive guys like Cody, Jerry, Hardy floating in the back end of the first. Then we can get another lineman in the second. I see a lot of lineman near the end of the second in mock drafts (can't say I know specifically, using others data).

If true, that would be excellent.

I think we'll try to trade down, and if we can't, hopefully we'll pick the best DT available. I think the cream of the crop OL will be picked ahead of us.

We don't need cream of the crop OL, just good young talent. That said, I'd love to pick up Duke Robinson (even if he does play for the hated Sooners).

We don't need cream of the crop OL, just good young talent. That said, I'd love to pick up Duke Robinson (even if he does play for the hated Sooners).

Dockery and Jansen were both 3rd round picks (if I remember correctly). Rinehart was a well, he could look good, although he isn't near their class yet. In the 1st-2nd lineman tend to be really solid. I would love a trade back to get a tackle and a center. Haynesworth in FA, keep Hall and things look pretty good. I still think it would take a year to gel, but that team would be more fun to watch.

QB to challange Jason ( 5 yard pass) Campbell.

You're an absolute idiot if you think that's what our priority should be. It worries me that people like you are on the loose.

I don't think we should be drafting on anything other than the lines this coming draft...perhaps a linebacker. I would love to have Haynesworth as a focul point but I think we would also have to use another draft pick to get another defensive linemen.

I know people are saying the OL is the main problem but I can't go another season watching a good standard secondary suffering because there is no pressure. The first should go on the offensive line but BOTH must be addressed.

Rebuilding the offensive line should be first priority. I really don't see too many changes needed on the Defensive side. I think if we blitzed more this year, people may have a different outlook on our D-Line. I really never expected much action being thrown at the opposing QB with just a 4 man front and no blitzing.

I also think it would be smart to grab a good RB. Portis looks like he will be finished in the next couple of years.

I may be wrong, but weren't we near the top of the league in blitz %? I think we blitzed a lot more than other teams.

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO INTO REINHART??

C'mon people this offensive line had major issues this year and the rookie wasn't even activated. We have no idea if he is terrible or what. I do not think we can rely on him at all. He couldn't even crack the lineup despite the numerous injuries we had. The front office went out and SIGNED OTHER PLAYERS instead of activating him. What does that tell you?

Trade down to the mid 20's, while picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

If Zorn is retained shop JC. I could see a team like Detroit offering their high 2nd for him, but probably not one of their two 1sts. Zorn could then bring in a veteran WCO QB like Hasselbeck while grooming C. Brennan as the QB of the future.

Perfect scenario...

1st (mid 20's). D. Robinson.

2nd (via Detroit, for JC). A. Mack or M. Unger.

2nd (via ?, for trading down in 1st). P. Loadholt.

3rd. DT, LB, or RB.

Archived