Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2009 Draft Preview Part 2- We finished 8-8- We pick 13th...

SkinsAllDay34

Ok we finished 8-8

started 6-2 finished 2-6 :doh:

We are picking 13th in the 2009 Draft

-Both Lines need work

-Obviously RT is going to be addressed.

-We need a DOMINATE DT more than a pass rushing DE because the DT has to get push.

-We need another LB probably MW needs to either be released or be content as a backup

One thing that has to be taken into consideration is what happens in FA first. If we go after Jordan Gross, no need to draft a tackle in the first IMO. Go DT/DE.

So who do you all want...have at it.

(you can post your draft trade ideas/offseason signing too)

Rebuilding the offensive line should be first priority. I really don't see too many changes needed on the Defensive side. I think if we blitzed more this year, people may have a different outlook on our D-Line. I really never expected much action being thrown at the opposing QB with just a 4 man front and no blitzing.

I also think it would be smart to grab a good RB. Portis looks like he will be finished in the next couple of years.

Rebuilding the offensive line should be first priority. I really don't see too many changes needed on the Defensive side. I think if we blitzed more this year, people may have a different outlook on our D-Line. I really never expected much action being thrown at the opposing QB with just a 4 man front and no blitzing.

I also think it would be smart to grab a good RB. Portis looks like he will be finished in the next couple of years.

I think we were the most blitzing team in the NFL, % wise.

How desperately will we miss our 2nd rounder, especially now that it's a top half of the 2nd round selection? We could almost certainly have added 2 instant impact linemen for the present/future. Now my fear is that in trying to gloss over the missing pick, Idiot Vinny will trade back from #14 potentially missing out on a dominant OL, and land us 2 2nd round picks which might be far less productive than the best OT available at #14. Likewise, that 2nd rounder would have given us the luxury of using our 3rd to trade up in the event that our top OL targets will all be gone by #14 (which is likely). Just another example of the endless ways in which this moron perpetually hamstrings our franchise every year.

PS. I'd love to land one of the elite trio of OTs, unlikely. Otherwise to try to trade back a few spots (not a deep drop Vinny!) and still land the draft's elite OG or OC (Duke or Mack), and add a pick in the process would be great. Devote the 3rd rounder to DT, and grab an upgrade to the OL through FA as well.

I disagree about the blitzing. I think we blitzed plenty this season. My outlook on the blitzing situation is that we blitzed enough, but did not blitz effectivly. I can't remember how many times we would blitz 6,7 or 8 and get burned because we could not get to the QB quick enough.

I do agree that o-line should be our number one concern. While the dline (DT more specifically) is a concern, we have proven year in and year out that we can still produce an effective defense without a consistent pass rush from the dline.

Like the announcers stated today, if our offense could have just been most productive this season, there is no doubt this is a playoff team. I don't think the problem stems from campbell, yet, from the lack of consistency from the oline.

As crazy as it was to draft 3 receivers early last season, it would not be a bad move to do the same with the OL although I'd like to see some DL.

I woud love to see us trade our first for 2 seconds like last year, and draft to o-lineman, and a DT in that round.

edit: forgot about the taylor trade and lack of 2nd round draft pick.

We can do 1 of 2 things IMO this offseason:

1. Sign big time D lineman (Haynesworth), then draft stud OT in 1st round

2. Sign Gross from Carolina, then draft stud DT that can blow up plays (Cody is awesome) or a DE that can get to the passer.

There are alot of speed rushing DEs in the draft but almost all of them will be 3-4 linebackers. I love Everette Brown, George Selvie, and Michael Johnson who they say is a big "boom or bust guy"

gutlead, if we can get 2 of those 3 guys you have in your sig, I would be content. All three of them seem like studs, and especially R.Q. who has soo much going for him (leadership, skills as a center, awards) and may be first round talent going later than expected.

I changed my mind about everette brown. I thought he was only like 6'2, he is 6'4 about 255lbs. Yea another small DE but the guy is relentless at getting to the QB.

Man only if we had enough room to go on a spending spree in FA, then we could:

Sign Hall

Sign Gross

Sign Haynesworth

Draft Everette Brown

We can save 8 million by cutting taylor, but if he is willing to reduce his salary by like 7 million lol, cuz apparently he is not worth 8 million dollars. We are under the cap already by like a couple millions. I dont know how much additional money we would save by cutting:

Springs

Jansen

letting Kendall go (have rinehart take his place)

one of the DTs (probably golston)

Anybody know what kind of value we can get for betts?

He has proven to be a 1000 yard guy when given #1 reps. What kind of draft pick could we get for him. I personally think Vinny should use him on draft day to either move up or just to gain additional pick(s).

A team like Denver who always loves getting running backs could maybe cough something up, or any other team someone could think of. I dont think he compliments portis real well.

This is NOT the year to trade down. Instead we need to stand pat in the first and if the right player (either DL or OL) is available in the late first or early second we should trade next year's first rounder and this year's third to get him. Our biggest need is on both lines and the next draft is going to have lots of really good ones, especially on the OL.

If doing so netted us any two of Jason Smith (OT, Baylor...my first choice for our #1) Peria Jerry, (DT, Ole Miss) B.J. Raji (DT, Boston College) or Andre Smith (OT, Bama...who I think is only suited to be a RT in the NFL and will likely be available in the late first/early 2nd) I'd be more than happy. Add to this mix a LB and maybe a P/K in F.A. and I'd say we'll have set ourselves up to be very competitive next season.

And Gutlead, I hate to burst your bubble but Loadholt is going to be long gone by the middle of the 2nd round.

Yusuf06, Andre Smith is a top 10 guy, Espn has him rated #1 right now on their website. There is a snowballs chance in hell he is availabe late in the 1st/early 2nd.

I think we should seriously try to trade, like you said, our 1st next year and our 3rd to get an extra first. Then we can get two guys that can (hopefully) help us next year.

I hear you SkinsAllDay but I just don't think that ranking is going to hold up after the combine. Like I said, I see him as more of a RT. Perhaps hoping for the 2nd round is a bit of a stretch, but I don't see him going anywhere near the top 15 picks.

OTOH, I'm no Vinny Cerrato when it comes to NFL talent evaluation. :)

This is NOT the year to trade down. Instead we need to stand pat in the first and if the right player (either DL or OL) is available in the late first or early second we should trade next year's first rounder and this year's third to get him. Our biggest need is on both lines and the next draft is going to have lots of really good ones, especially on the OL.

If doing so netted us any two of Jason Smith (OT, Baylor...my first choice for our #1) Peria Jerry, (DT, Ole Miss) B.J. Raji (DT, Boston College) or Andre Smith (OT, Bama...who I think is only suited to be a RT in the NFL and will likely be available in the late first/early 2nd) I'd be more than happy. Add to this mix a LB and maybe a P/K in F.A. and I'd say we'll have set ourselves up to be very competitive next season.

And Gutlead, I hate to burst your bubble but Loadholt is going to be long gone by the middle of the 2nd round.

I think you are right on...except about Laodholt, who will fall. But I agree with pretty much all that you say.

Look at Carolina for an example. They were basically a long shot at the beginning of the year. They drafted a RB and have the best one two punch combo in the league and then came back in the first again to get a stud T. Why cant we do that same. I think talent wise we are better this year then Carolina last year. We should push full on for Haynesworth in FA. Ive been saying for so long now that a player like Albert in the middle would make our pass rush dominate. If we try to take 2 first round picks like Carolina Im hoping for Chris Wells from Ohio State and then come back in the first again to take Jason Smith. Wells would be a great compliment for Portis and CP wont be here for that much longer with the way he runs. Betts is not the answer for Portis's backup. It worked for Minnesota taking Peterson when they didnt really need him. Or if there is a stud T at 14 for us take him and then come back for someone like James Davis. We need to fill RT or DT in FA period. IF we ignore either of those spots in FA then we are looking at 8-8 or worse again.

Archived