Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why hasn't Cooley had a better season?

Slateman

I'm watching the Ravens/Cowboys game, and Witten is having a monster game. And the Cowboys are using him in the seam and against the blitz.

We've had pass protection problems for a while now. Why isn't Cooley being used as more of a check down? Why has he caught so few balls down the field in the seam?

1 TD (almost had a second one against Cincy, but Jason decided to throw the ball at Cooley's shoelaces) all year is not "killing it". I don't care how many total receptions he's had, he's been light on big plays all year.

Not his fault, though.

Yes he has a lot of receptions but they are a bunch of dink and dunk/screen pass. This system doesn't stretch the field to allow him to go down field enough. He has the capabilities BUT look who's calling the plays and throwing the ball. But hey Randel El was the one that threw Cooley his ONLY TD of the season. That says a lot.

I'm watching the Ravens/Cowboys game, and Witten is having a monster game. And the Cowboys are using him in the seam and against the blitz.

We've had pass protection problems for a while now. Why isn't Cooley being used as more of a check down? Why has he caught so few balls down the field in the seam?

Cowboys lost to the Ravens...I think worse than the Skins....

The OP isn't such a fool. Cooley's receptions are up, but his YPC (10.5) is down from the past two years (11.9, 12.9). His TD's are significantly down as everyone knows.

I wouldn't say he's having a bad year, but he's not seemed to be particularly effective so much as getting a lot of balls thrown his way on short routes. His long this year is 28. Last year was tied at 39 and the year before tied at 66.

Obviously, any changes are likely due to scheme.

if you think cooley is havin a bad season, because he doesnt have as many td's which is ok to believe but u still needa do research. we're used to about 9-10 td's by cooley...he only has 4 i believe. but consider this, i have him on my fantasy, he's yet to bring me 10pts...so really jsut cause his stats prove otherwise, he hasnt had that great of a season considerin he considers his season a bust.

if you think cooley is havin a bad season, because he doesnt have as many td's which is ok to believe but u still needa do research. we're used to about 9-10 td's by cooley...he only has 4 i believe. but consider this, i have him on my fantasy, he's yet to bring me 10pts...so really jsut cause his stats prove otherwise, he hasnt had that great of a season considerin he considers his season a bust.

He has 1 TD and his career best was 8 last year. Other than that he's had 6, 7, and 6.

I read that Post article, and I was shocked when I learned his numbers(2nd among TE's in NFL) To me as well, it seemed that he was having a quiet year. I've seen him make a lot of 8-10 yards plays, and some crusial 15-20 yard plays to get us a must needed 1st down, but nothing really all that big compared with years past. There are plenty of reasons for his lack of big plays, but it hurts to see that after Cooley put up so many scores for us in the past seasons.

am i the only one who thinks play action to cooley when we're in the redzone and has been disappointed numerous times?:doh:

this is exactly what I believe is the issue with his TDs being down...no one bites on our PA any more in the redzone and we are creatively challenged to find another option to go to...

For those turning this into a ****fest about Campbell, wake the **** up!

On his TD pass to Moss on Sunday his primary option was Cooley but he was being "attacked" by defenders. Even Zorn said that Cooley is having a tough time getting open in the red zone because the D knows he's really the only viable threat.

the OP isn't wrong for the reasons stated already.

he has big numbers in terms of receptions and yards, but he hasn't taken over a game like he used to as recently as last year all season.

he has fumbled this year, he has been tackled by 1 corner with 10 yards of open field in front of him a lot this year.

if you listen to him talk he honestly sounds like he could care less about the whole thing. i know he's more of a fan favorite than campbell, but that's what people say about JC that never comes up about CC.

you watch him in games he's happy-go-lucky on the sideline, joking around with Yoder.

cooley is the type of player who is in a position every game to become an undeniable target that causes the defense to adjust it's scheme. he hasn't played like it this year.

you could say he's had to block more, but with his receptions setting a redskin's record obviously he's getting out on patterns.

Seattle never used the TE, and that's where Zorn learned his version of the WCO. Cooley is being used not as a weapon but as a third option. They need to change that in the off season. Somebody needs to go to Zorn and say, "Dude creates mis-matches. Design some plays for him."

But he is going to set career highs in yards and receptions, I believe, so it's not ALL bad.

And to those saying JC is the reason, I challenge you to find a QB who's thrown more passes to Cooley. JC is responsible for about 60-65% of his catches and yards.

Archived