Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why hasn't Cooley had a better season?

Slateman

Cooley is the check down guy. Since the Skins check down about 80% of the time, his receptions are up. Since he is not catching the ball in the open field, his yards are down and TDs also. Since he has fumbled 3 times he appears to be covering up the ball more instead of trying to break tackles. All in all, a good stat year, but not a great year overall. The Skins are a better team when when he catches 60 balls, not 80.

I'm watching the Ravens/Cowboys game, and Witten is having a monster game. And the Cowboys are using him in the seam and against the blitz.

We've had pass protection problems for a while now. Why isn't Cooley being used as more of a check down? Why has he caught so few balls down the field in the seam?

You really don't check the facts before you post dude! Cooley has set a franchise record in receptions this year, he is in the Pro Bowl, he has more receptions than TO for **** sake, he is one of the best offensive players we have and always tries to get more than he is given defensively. The only slacker on this offense is JC, he is the reason we suck, so many three and outs the defense is exhausted by the 4th quarter. That's why they can't hold anyone to three and out.

A better QB starting for the Skins = a better season for Chris Cooley

really? Jim Zorn is using Cooley like he's been used under the other systems they've had?

Just like everyone else has said Cooley is not a 1 or 2 option in this offense he is a check down guy. he also is fumbling and not going for extra YAC as he normally does.

A better QB starting for the Skins = a better season for Chris Cooley

:no: Actually, he's on pace for at least 80+ receptions this year, so your gonna have to come up with something better. If you notice, JC goes to Cooley more since he's started in 2006. It's just that Red Zone offense stinks.

The OP isn't such a fool. Cooley's receptions are up, but his YPC (10.5) is down from the past two years (11.9, 12.9). His TD's are significantly down as everyone knows.

I wouldn't say he's having a bad year, but he's not seemed to be particularly effective so much as getting a lot of balls thrown his way on short routes. His long this year is 28. Last year was tied at 39 and the year before tied at 66.

Obviously, any changes are likely due to scheme.

He didnt tie at 66 yards the T means that play resulted in a touchdown. Im not trying to be a d bag and call you out. Im just trying to explain something, I thought the same thing until someone else told me what that meant.

You have to get the passes thrown to you before you can have a good season. Our playbook stinks, our QB stinks, and our O-Line stinks. It makes me sick to watch other teams attack downfield with their recievers, open huge holes for their running backs, and give their QB all day to throw the ball. The worst part about our offense is when JC does have time to throw the ball, it's still for only 5 yards.

Cooley may have a career high in catches and yards, but many of those have been in garbage time when we have to throw every down. Cooley's clutch catches for 1st downs are way down as well as TD's obviously.

Not his fault entirely (see Campbell). A decent year, but not a Pro Bowl year in my opinion.

He didnt tie at 66 yards the T means that play resulted in a touchdown. Im not trying to be a d bag and call you out. Im just trying to explain something, I thought the same thing until someone else told me what that meant.

Thanks. I don't think you're a dbag. I'm glad to be corrected. I thought it was odd he would happen to have two 66 yard receptions. I should have done more investigation. :cheers:

Cooley may have a career high in catches and yards, but many of those have been in garbage time when we have to throw every down. Cooley's clutch catches for 1st downs are way down as well as TD's obviously.

Not his fault entirely (see Campbell). A decent year, but not a Pro Bowl year in my opinion.

See line first.

Archived