Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Favor of a 3-4 Defense (MET)

skinsfan07

My God! What is it, twice a week that we see this same thread?

Four of the top five defenses are not 3-4's. I don't count the Ravens as a 3-4 because they run a hybrid 46 and 3-4 mix. But, even if you count them then 3 of the top five aren't 3-4's. A 3-4 isn't the magic bullet. And if you don't have the people to run it then its a nightmare (i.e. Jets in 2007, San Fran for the last three years).

We aren't constructed for a three four. Unless we use all of our draft picks on the front seven (and even that won't be enough) then we would need years to overhaul our roster for a 3-4 scheme.

Golston is not a 3-4 DE, Carter failed miserably at standing up in San Francisco, and McIntosh is too small and does not have the requisite pass rush skills to do so. How do we have the personnel to do it?

Not to mention Montgomery is probably not big enough to be a traditional NT.

The top 2 teams in sacks run a 3-4 base.

But after that there are only two 3-4 teams in the top 10, and they both run a hybrid.

Interestingly, most of the leading teams in sacks didn't have an elite pass rusher but a collection of solid pass rusher. Philly, NY (both of them), Seattle, and Tennessee all have solid pass rusher but no Demarcus Where or James Harrison of John Abraham.

Don't check the board every day, sorry, I haven't actually read any threads on this subject. I personally feel like we have better personnel for a 3-4 than a 4-3. I don't think this idea is any more ludicrous than trading Portis. Maybe we let Taylor be the strong side backer and let Rocky stay weakside. Our best players are in the back seven and that is what a 3-4 relies on. Anybody that doesen't consider our back seven the strength of this defense, hasn't watched a game around here for the last 5 years. To say we are built more for 4-3 is moronic. I think our down linemen would be well served to continue to stop the run. I would like to see this defense be ranked a little lower overall if they could make plays when we need them. Our defense doesen't score at all and doesen't force turnovers. I like our guys but it doesen't seem like we will be able to fix the o line and the d line in the same draft. I would prefer to fix the o line.

Even if we had good players to run a 3-4, and personally I think we really do not, our D wouldn't be as good.

We have the best players for a 4-3. DTs that are good at stopping the run, and a Middle linebacker that makes plays all over the place.

Now all we need is the pass-rush and we'd be the #1 defense.

Don't check the board every day, sorry, I haven't actually read any threads on this subject. I personally feel like we have better personnel for a 3-4 than a 4-3. I don't think this idea is any more ludicrous than trading Portis. Maybe we let Taylor be the strong side backer and let Rocky stay weakside. Our best players are in the back seven and that is what a 3-4 relies on. Anybody that doesen't consider our back seven the strength of this defense, hasn't watched a game around here for the last 5 years. To say we are built more for 4-3 is moronic. I think our down linemen would be well served to continue to stop the run. I would like to see this defense be ranked a little lower overall if they could make plays when we need them. Our defense doesen't score at all and doesen't force turnovers. I like our guys but it doesen't seem like we will be able to fix the o line and the d line in the same draft. I would prefer to fix the o line.

:doh: That post fails for a variety of reasons too long to list.

I prefer the 3-4, personally, but that configuration with the Skins' players would blow donkey balls.
This is one of the most precise one-liners I've read on this forum all year. Hilarious and true.

Yeah our 3-4 would suck right now.

Marcus Washington could have been a pretty sick OLB in a 3-4 in 2005 probably, not that means anything now.

another reason we need the 3-4 is that offensive lines in the nfc east are huge.
So here's what we do: draft better DTs.

Stop using guys that are hugely overachieving from the 5th and 6th round, as well as a breaking down 31 year old FA, as your DT rotation.

Get 1st and 2nd round quality players on the line and they make the opposing o-line look worse.

See: Giants and Eagles.

I don't think this idea is any more ludicrous than trading Portis.

No, it's not more ludicrous than trading Portis. It's just as ludicrous. Portis just signed a new contract and trading him would accelerate his $20 Mil. cap hit.

Sorry, not trying to mean. But, running a 3-4 with these guys will not work.

Nobody was scared of our defense and we couldn't make plays when we had to have them. Grag Blache seems very replaceable.

Was not the Defense our strength this year? I do not understand your comment. Had it not been for our D we could of been given the Lions a run for (negative) perfection this year.

Yes we should change our top 5 D immediately. I mean why not screw up the only thing on our team that is working right now. Goto love the people blaming the Ends though. Maybe you should watch games alittle more closely and you will see Carter and JT BLOW through the outsides on almost every down.....unfortunately then you should watch closely as the quarterback takes 2-3 steps up in the pocket and can sit there for 10 seconds. Open your eyes.....the problem is not our ends it's easily are DT's. Haynesworth is a guy who would have IMMEDIATE impact if we were to sign him. If at least one DT can collapse a side of the pocket.....you will see JT and Carter getting sacks all over the place.

Changing our D scheme when we are 1 pocket collapsing DT away from a pass rush is absolutely retarded.

very true.

If it ain't broke, dont fix it, and unlike our offense, where we need to restructure almost the whole thing, we only need 1-2 new players on our D.

I will probably get murdered on this, but do you guys think that a true top 5 defense loses to either St. Louis or Cincy? They are solid but they don't make plays. We need to change something up. There is no way that we can draft our way to a pass rush this year. Evidently nobody else was overly impressed with our D, how many pro bowlers do we have? It is not just everybody hates us, we don't stand out from the pack, our stats are decent, but on gameday we are good, not great.

The players would have to learn a new scheme. That is not insignificant. Look at what happened to Vilma when he was forced to transition from being a pro-bowl caliber 4-3 mike linebacker to a 3-4 inside linebacker. He is now on a different team and looking at free agency/possibly going on to his third team. The coaches should stick with what they have. Its not broken don't fix it.

I think that we could use Montgomery as a traditional NT and rotate Griffin in and out. Slide Golston over to right end and let Evans man the left side. I would then draft Ray Mauluaga of USC to put right beside Fletcher. Stand Carter up at Weak Side LB and move Rocky over to the Strong Side. Focus the rest of our draft on the OL and I think we could have a good defense that actually brings pressure. Oh yeah SIGN Hall to man the corner opposite of Rogers and keep Smoot. I think we may actually have better personnel for a 3-4.

I like the 3-4 but you need a big NT to stop the run. However, the 4-3 would work if we had a pass rush and we would not have to make other changes. We need to sign Hall then work on the O & D lines. With only 4 draft picks we will have to play the free agency game again. However, this is the only thing Dan is good at. I just hope he can stay away from WR's and CB this year. Every thing starts with the line. P.S. for what it's worth, I still don't like Campbell at QB but it looks like we will give him one more year.

Archived