Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Favor of a 3-4 Defense (MET)

skinsfan07

];5951539']I would definitely look into it.

Did anyone know that the Redskins and Bears are the ONLY defenses in History to never run a Base 3-4. Kinda cool.

Sadly though the Bears D has been VERY successful in terms of Sacks/overall production in it. We OTOH have had our spurts of having a GREAT 4-3 defense but have never really been a team that generated sacks/turnovers in it.

Agree 100%. We need to draft a defensive lineman anyways, therefore we should grab the best NT possible with our pick (somewhere in the 11-16 range should get you a stud). Evans, and Phillip Daniels are prototype 3-4 ends, with cheap free agents also able to fill out the line.

Even though Fletcher hasn't played in this role before he is smart enough to play in any alignment asked of him. And let's face it, at his age he isn't our future anyways. Rocky, despite chronic knee problems is the only impact player we have that this could negatively impact but I think he'd be just fine in it.

Although Carter did not excel, or perhaps enjoy is a better word, playing 34 LB in San Fran, he is completely capable. As is Jason Taylor. If we choose not to bring him back, use his $8.5 million salary on a younger guy in free agency to play LB.

With a full crop of picks in 2010 we could really fill out our front 7, with a young secondary in place now set for years.

I mean, why not guys? Yeah we'd have to find a new Def coordinator, but does Blache really have a long-term future here anyways? I think he's ready to retire soon. Of course, this won't happen for no reason. Perhaps it's part of the win now personality - thinking this transition will cost a year or two of which we all know we aren't going anywhere anyways. Who knows?

You couldn't beign to build a 3-4 with this roster. They don't possess the NT. Griff and Montgomery couldn't play the NT in a 3-4. You could make the case for the front three in Evans, Griff (who will be gone soon), and Monty. Who ya' gonna put at the LB spots? No way. They'd need to revamp their LB core. There's not nearly enough speed and athleticism there. The roster would have to change dramatically.

Some of the best D's in the league are 4-3's. Whoever is trying to argue that a 3-4 is better or provides more chances to get to the qb, that's not true. The D's are different, but the REAL is that the Bucs, Giants, Bears, and Eagles consistently have a good defense and they're albe to stop the run, cover, and create pressure week in and week out. They all run the 4-3. Don't tell me that 4-3 D's can't provide pressure on a consistent basis. The Giants alone disprove that theory. They have the perfect four down-linemen for the 4-3 defense. They're all big, fast, and have relentless motors, and b/c their down linemen can get to the qb the D coordinator can get creative with coverages and blitz packages. The Redskins could learn a thing or two from the Giants, Bucs, Bears, and Eagles. Blache has over-achieved with this D. I promise that it ain't his fault.

You couldn't beign to build a 3-4 with this roster. They don't possess the NT. Griff and Montgomery couldn't play the NT in a 3-4. You could make the case for the front three in Evans, Griff (who will be gone soon), and Monty. Who ya' gonna put at the LB spots? No way. They'd need to revamp their LB core. There's not nearly enough speed and athleticism there. The roster would have to change dramatically.

Some of the best D's in the league are 4-3's. Whoever is trying to argue that a 3-4 is better or provides more chances to get to the qb, that's not true. The D's are different, but the REAL is that the Bucs, Giants, Bears, and Eagles consistently have a good defense and they're albe to stop the run, cover, and create pressure week in and week out. They all run the 4-3. Don't tell me that 4-3 D's can't provide pressure on a consistent basis. The Giants alone disprove that theory. They have the perfect four down-linemen for the 4-3 defense. They're all big, fast, and have relentless motors, and b/c their down linemen can get to the qb the D coordinator can get creative with coverages and blitz packages. The Redskins could learn a thing or two from the Giants, Bucs, Bears, and Eagles. Blache has over-achieved with this D. I promise that it ain't his fault.

All things we DON'T HAVE.

getting players for the 3-4 defense isn't the problem its getting the proper coachs to run it. you can argue about who fits and who doesnt but the truth is players make transitions all the time with good coaching. if you cant develop players to your scheme then you will fail no matter what you run.

I get what you're saying, however I believe that we could acquire the personnel that would help us be a successful 3-4 Defense easier than we could get serious talent to help us generate more sacks in the 4-3.

You would be wrong. We would have the most undersized defense in the league.

I fully believe that Taylor and Carter would be very successful in the 3-4, hell they've proven it in the past. The only issue would be getting the right personnel in there on the line. Our 3 down lineman would HAVE to be better.

They've proven the exact opposite actually. Carter was awful playing on his feet in San Fran. Taylor never played every down on his feet in his prime, and he is not in his prime.

I would not be opposed to it. To make the transition, it would take a couple years though.

Drafting Terrence Cody would be a start...hehe...6'4 360 lbs....oooyeaa. LOL

Then move Taylor to LB where he was gonna play anyway in Miami. Chris Wilson could probably make a good transition from DE to LB, he is a speed guy.

Carter/Cody/Evans

Taylor/fletcher/rocky/Wilson

**** im just throwing that out there.

I love this thread. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I want a faster defense that can actually get to the quarterback. Like the Steelers or Ravens. No we really don't have the perfect personel, but thats why there's the draft and free agency. Both Taylor and Carter have played 3-4 rush linebackers before. Like I saw in some earlier posts, the biggest problem is a NT. It is hard to find a really good one like Wilfork, Hampton, or Jenkins. A guy like Alabama'sTerrance Cody will be a top 10 pick if he declares. Unfortunately I don't see this happening, unless we hire Bill Cower or something.

Also there are some pass rush guys that could declare for the NFL draft. My favorite is Everette Brown.

I love this thread. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I want a faster defense that can actually get to the quarterback. Like the Steelers or Ravens. No we really don't have the perfect personel, but thats why there's the draft and free agency. Both Taylor and Carter have played 3-4 rush linebackers before. Like I saw in some earlier posts, the biggest problem is a NT. It is hard to find a really good one like Wilfork, Hampton, or Jenkins. A guy like Alabama'sTerrance Cody will be a top 10 pick if he declares. Unfortunately I don't see this happening, unless we hire Bill Cower or something.

Also there are some pass rush guys that could declare for the NFL draft. My favorite is Everette Brown.

WOW i just saw some Everette Brown highlights and man he is heck of a pass rusher but looks to be a guy who is gonna be a great 3-4 linebacker.

I really want to switch to a 3-4 but i know it is unlikely. We would have to go threw a transition period.

What about keeping the 4-3, but actually doing STUNTS AND TWISTS!!!

Has anyone else besides my father and I said to yourself : "Man, you know what I have never seen any of our DL guys doing any twisting and stunting like everyone else".

Seriously, my father and I say the same things each week. It's amazing that these guys don't try to confuse OL's more often by doing so.

I LOVE E. Brown. Dude is easily one of the best defensive prospects coming out and would have an immediate impact on our D. I would totally be for him. Dude has a motor. Can you imagine if we got Albert Haynesworth though? He'd be perfect for the 3-4. The transition won't be easy but it can be done by executing in the draft and getting it to work throughout the offseason and preseason before finally implementing it in the regular season. Maybe we'll see it in a few years. That'd be sweet.

I LOVE E. Brown. Dude is easily one of the best defensive prospects coming out and would have an immediate impact on our D. I would totally be for him. Dude has a motor. Can you imagine if we got Albert Haynesworth though? He'd be perfect for the 3-4. The transition won't be easy but it can be done by executing in the draft and getting it to work throughout the offseason and preseason before finally implementing it in the regular season. Maybe we'll see it in a few years. That'd be sweet.

You would destroy Haynesworth's effectiveness by putting him in the 3-4.

Why would you take a 10-sack DT and make him do nothing but eat up blockers all day?

Do you understand the basic premise of the 3-4 at all? The only job of the 3 linemen in the 3-4 is to eat up blockers and win the point of attack. That's it. Create a pile. That lets the 4 linebackers flow to the ball and make plays.

Why would you take the most athletic DT in football and tell him to become a Jersey Barricade?

I disagree about not having the players for a 3-4. I also think we can pick up the players we need for a 3-4 in the draft and FA. Right now, 3-4 personnel that we have and should keep for such a scheme are Monty, Chris Wilson, Demetric Evans (3-4 DE), Rob Jackson (3-4 DE), Jason Taylor (much better suited for him), Andre Carter (struggled a bit with the 9ers but they didn't have a dominant NT to keep blockers off him), and London, Rocky, and Blades (MLBs). What we would need is another 3-4 OLB (draft is full of them), a starting NT (Ron Brace is perfect), and DEs (I'd like cheap value signings like Tank Johnson and Jovan Haye).

RDE: Evans/Rob Jackson/Alexander (?)

NT: Haynesworth/Monty/Golston

LDE: Tank Johnson/Haye

OLB1: Taylor/Draft Pick/Wilson

OLB2: Carter/K. Campbell

MLB1: Fletcher/Blades

MLB2: McIntosh/Dirt Cheap FA

Because we have so many needs, I really would try to drop from our top 15 pick to the late teens and pick up one of the stud 3-4 OLB prospects (Orapko, Curry, Everette Brown, Hardy, Selvie) who will undoubtedly be there. I would then trade the 2 3rd's to move up to get Ron Brace in this scenario. This would really screw our OL plans but we can always trade picks in 2010 for 2009 picks although I detest that.

My main question, is why would we want to spend the next offseason or two addressing our strength?

We're an incredibly good defense. Imagine how much better our defense would be if our offense could sustain drives and score points.

My main question, is why would we want to spend the next offseason or two addressing our strength?

We're an incredibly good defense. Imagine how much better our defense would be if our offense could sustain drives and score points.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I feel that we need more big plays out of this defense so that this inept offense can be given a short field more often and the chance to score more points. I really admire the Bears for their ability to use their defense as their offense (they seemingly score a TD every week).

I feel a 3-4 scheme would allow us to create pressure much more effectively to generate these turnovers.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I feel that we need more big plays out of this defense so that this inept offense can be given a short field more often and the chance to score more points. I really admire the Bears for their ability to use their defense as their offense (they seemingly score a TD every week).

I feel a 3-4 scheme would allow us to create pressure much more effectively to generate these turnovers.

In essence you are touting a strategy that I'm a fan of generally. Which is to focus the majority of your effort on your strengths in order to maximize them. The idea being that it takes too long to turn a weakness into a strength, but focusing on improving strengths can pay dividends.

I've yet to figure if this strategy works as well on the football field.

Archived