Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Favor of a 3-4 Defense (MET)

skinsfan07

How many sacks do we have again?

Turnovers?

Oh yea we suck in 2 of the most important categories.

Guess you'll enjoy sticking with 19-25 sacks a season while players in the 3-4 get 20 alone. fantastic.

So with an offence that can't capitalize on turnovers OR good field position...You would rather have more sacks and turnovers, then holding teams to less points?

Smart...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get everyone's obsession with the 3-4, it's really no better than the 4-3, just a matter of preference. You still need guys that can pressure regardless. I've also felt it's easier to run on a 3-4 since a good run blocking o-line can get enough momentum to barrel those LBs down as those LB's have a little bit more field to cover compared to a down lineman. Plus, a 3-4 defense relies on a blitzing LB or 2 for pressure, as well as speed and confusion on the offense. However, it's still not the hardest to pick up, and if picked up, you have a mismatch between a 300+ lb lineman and a 250 lb linebacker.

Blache's scheme is fine too, his personnel aren't. We put in a good DT and a good DE, and those sacks will come.

Trying to run a 3:4 defense without the personnel will result in a very weak defense. Skins would need to get a new DC and almostly completely change the entire DL and linebackers.

The Skins defense is overrated IMO. They can't stop a team when the really need to do so. The lack of QB pressure (old story) allows mediocre QBs to play like Hall of Famers.

No other team FEARS the Skins defense. They don't worry about their QB getting mauled. They don't worry about their WRs getting pounded over the middle.

Well I know we don't have personal now that's why we use to draft. If you watch when we blitiz we rarley sack the QB. It's shameful.

you really think that we can use a single draft to get all the personnel needed to run a 3-4? not to mention that none of our defensive coaches are 3-4, they are all 4-3. and we only have what, 4 picks, in the draft to run a 3-4, we would need a completely new d-line with a monster NT. sure, maybe one of those 4 picks would be able to start from day 1, but that still leaves two key spots in need.

then look at the LB, fletch and HB would be the MLBs, rocky on one side and jason on the other. marcus coming off the bench. where is the depth after that? chris wilson might be able to backup JT, but has he ever played OLB in a 3-4? so i wouldnt count on that.

if you want to switch to a 3-4, its going to take a lot longer than a single off season, especially when we only have 4 picks.

you really think that we can use a single draft to get all the personnel needed to run a 3-4? not to mention that none of our defensive coaches are 3-4, they are all 4-3. and we only have what, 4 picks, in the draft to run a 3-4, we would need a completely new d-line with a monster NT. sure, maybe one of those 4 picks would be able to start from day 1, but that still leaves two key spots in need.

then look at the LB, fletch and HB would be the MLBs, rocky on one side and jason on the other. marcus coming off the bench. where is the depth after that? chris wilson might be able to backup JT, but has he ever played OLB in a 3-4? so i wouldnt count on that.

if you want to switch to a 3-4, its going to take a lot longer than a single off season, especially when we only have 4 picks.

Your logic has no place here. Besides which, haven't you been reading? We're going to trade everyone...Portis, Cooley, Betts, Moss, Fletcher, everyone, and go from having 4 picks this draft to having 53. We're drafting an entire new team this year.:silly:

I think that we could use Montgomery as a traditional NT and rotate Griffin in and out. Slide Golston over to right end and let Evans man the left side. I would then draft Ray Mauluaga of USC to put right beside Fletcher. Stand Carter up at Weak Side LB and move Rocky over to the Strong Side. Focus the rest of our draft on the OL and I think we could have a good defense that actually brings pressure. Oh yeah SIGN Hall to man the corner opposite of Rogers and keep Smoot. I think we may actually have better personnel for a 3-4.

I think that we could use Montgomery as a traditional NT and rotate Griffin in and out. Slide Golston over to right end and let Evans man the left side. I would then draft Ray Mauluaga of USC to put right beside Fletcher. Stand Carter up at Weak Side LB and move Rocky over to the Strong Side. Focus the rest of our draft on the OL and I think we could have a good defense that actually brings pressure. Oh yeah SIGN Hall to man the corner opposite of Rogers and keep Smoot. I think we may actually have better personnel for a 3-4.

Blanche runs a 4-3 scheme and we are not built to run a 3-4. Besides, why mess with a top rated defense, when all we need is help on the line for a better pass rush. Sometimes I hate the off season....

Nobody was scared of our defense and we couldn't make plays when we had to have them. Grag Blache seems very replaceable.
Nobody was scared because we didn't have a pass rush, because our interior line didn't get it done. We have a strong secondary, decent linebackers and pretty good defensive ends. The problem is, our DEs can't generate sacks because the interior linemen aren't getting pressure.

Do you really think installing a new defensive scheme and not having the players to run it is going to work?

Nobody was scared of our defense and we couldn't make plays when we had to have them. Grag Blache seems very replaceable.

I'm not sure how we finished up after the last game, we were around the #4 defense, but why would you change something that is working well? Personnel wise we are set up for the 4-3. Change for change sake isn't that great an idea.

I'm not sure how we finished up after the last game, we were around the #4 defense, but why would you change something that is working well? Personnel wise we are set up for the 4-3. Change for change sake isn't that great an idea.
We finished at 4th overall. We just need to beef up the D-line and get some sacks next year.

Archived