Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Just pan seared some scallops on top of a fresh mango/blueberry salsa as an app and chased it with a dog fish 60 minute IPA......Perfect match.

Sounds perfect alright. I think I mentioned it not too long ago that the 60 Minute IPA with smoked bluefish is like dining in heaven. Horse radish and wasabi sauce for dip, simply delicious.

Troegs Nugget Nectar Imperial Amber

troegs-beer-brew-nugget-nectar.jpg

Redish amber with a creamy off-white head, nice lacing. Aroma is huge with citrus and flowers, a very dank backbone of honey and sweet caramel as well. This smells awesome.

Taste is sweet citrus, a silky feel of flowers and pine. A nice amount of pine on the aftertaste. Malt is caramel and a little bit of chocolate. Mouthfeel is just a touch below average. The carbonation is also low which is a perfect level for this beer. Alcohol is well-hidden and the finish is clean while being a touch on the dry side.

This is easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had, it's huge and damn is it tasty. It's worth getting this again and again.

A (96)

--------

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

s_a280cb08f3b54bec94486bfdb8729d75.jpg

Black with a brown tinge and a bright chocolate head. Aroma is mostly dark fruit with roasted malt and oatmeal. Not very strong at all.

On the sip I notice one huge characteristic right away, this beer has one gigantic body. It's a sumo stout, very heavy mouth feel. Carbonation is heavy as well. This is massive.

Taste is delicious roasted malt with dark chocolate and dark fruits to boot. You can certainly taste the oatmeal, as well. Delicious, and while there are no hops in the initial taste - they are the only thing left in the aftertaste.

This puppy came to life with the taste and body. Was kind of scared after smelling the weak aroma. This is one delicious stout.

A (93)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I just turned 21 yesterday at a bar that my friend's band was playing at and got a shot of yager and a bud light lime on the house. I'm not a beer expert as that was actually my first time drinking, but I liked it. Then I had coors light as my second beer.

Edited by TheCool47

i am turning 21 in a few days... any reccomendations for a good beer? Not heniken, coors light, dos equis milwaukee’s best or anything along those lines. something different?

Try yourself a regular ole Samuel Adams Boston Lager. If you want something real crafty you can just skim this thread and see if you can find a match wherever you go.

I just turned 21 yesterday at a bar that my friend's band was playing at and got a shot of yager and a bud light lime on the house. I'm not a beer expert as that was actually my first time drinking, but I liked it. Then I had coors light as my second beer.

Bud Light Lime is by far my favorite light beer.

BrewDog Unveils the World's Strongest, Most Expensive, and Squirreliest Beer Ever

Experts in stunts/brewing/stunt brewing, Scottish craft brewery BrewDog has come out with a 55% ABV beer called The End of History. Oh, and it comes in bottles encased in your choice of a dead stoat (which costs £500, $764 US) or squirrel (£700, or about $1070 US). They even have outfits!

4817756917_30e68ac4c6_o.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

Got a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron and 90 Minute IPA today.

The Palo Santo is so good...definitely a beer around the (A or A-) grade range. I reviewed it a while back...saying it has a quick-to-disappear aftertaste. Yeah, it does. But otherwise it's delicious. An overall bourbon-like taste. Thick, malty feel. It's a pretty hardcore taste, but certainly enjoyable. I'll get this a few times during the winter freeze...probably will be more appropriate.

i am turning 21 in a few days... any reccomendations for a good beer? Not heniken, coors light, dos equis milwaukee’s best or anything along those lines. something different?

Something different?

Hmmm...

Are you looking for a beer you can stand around with your buddies and chat with, a beer to go with a meal, or something you can really get into?

Buddy beer: something fairly light and easy to drink, notice I did not say lite beer.

Blue Moon

Guinness Draught (defininetly NOT Extra Stout) get the nitro can you get more than the bottle. ;)

And truly you cannot go wrong with a Samuel Adam's Boston Lager

Meal beer: I prefer something smooth and malty

Smithwicks

Sam's Boston Lager, or Winter Lager (if you can find it they don't brew it again for awhile)

BBC Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout...yumm yumm

Sit down and enjoy brews: these are my grade A brews.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Trappistes Rochfort #6...this will be hard to find and it will be $10 per bottle if you can find it....but like a pirate's treasure it is worth the search.

Samuel Adams Imperial Stout

went out to a local Irish Pub last night and they had Palm on tap. That is one damned smooth Belgian that I've only just recently discovered (yes, I must have lived a sheltered life up till now). If you haven't tried this brew please do, it's excellent.

Having another Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest tonight...the fresh hops are excellent in this. Wish I had a few of these during that heat wave. Had to get another one before it clears off the shelf.

Although it's not a classic "hot weather" brew, I just found Sierra Nevada's Porter. Wow! it's amazing. Perfect drink with a BBQ'd steak

Although it's not a classic "hot weather" brew, I just found Sierra Nevada's Porter. Wow! it's amazing. Perfect drink with a BBQ'd steak

The porter is good...and I don't mind drinking dark brews in the summer time. Like you said, they taste great with BBQ steak. A month ago I had Sierra Nevada Stout with Omaha steak and corn in the backyard. Excellent!

My pup got sick this week and I had to dish all my beer money towards vet bills. Settling with Yuengling Black & Tans...I really love this beer. $11 for a twelve pack is the big reason. Taste is solid.

I DID cheat and pick up that Sierra Nevada SH Harvest, but they're clearing off the shelf until next summer...what am I supposed to do? :(

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I figure since I'm a confirmed teetotaler, this is the only thing I can contribute to the page. Enjoy, fellas.

Let the flaming begin.....

Samuel Adams Octoberfest

167.jpg

Good-looking beer. Dark translucent amber with a large and fairly creamy head. Aroma is wine, grain, caramel, bread, citrus, and a touch of roastiness. Quite complex, but not really doing much for me, and it's a pretty weak aroma as well. Had to sniff about 20 times to realize some of the smells.

Taste is caramel, grain, corn, chestnuts, peanuts, wine, bread, toast and a slight bitterness at the end. Again, all these tastes and they're all so subtle that you can totally miss them if you don't pay really close attention. The most obvious characteristic is the adjunct flavor this beer has. It has good flavors, but they are so subdued.

I know this is a super-popular beer so I'm prepared for a backlash. It seems like this was made by Mr. Macrobrew and Mr. Microbrew coming to terms on a recipe. Mr. Macro made it have a grainy-corn (flavorless) overtone, while Mr. Micro put a dash of many different flavorings in there. It just seems like this beer was shortchanged all-around.

C (77)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Ill go ahead and slam the Sam Adams Pale Ale, simply bland and tasteless for a pale ale. I'm pretty much done with Sam Adams at this point, especially when I can get Flying Dog 60 minute for buck more. Sam Adams is simply trying to appeal to the masses.

I picked up a 6er of Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA over the weekend and thought it was pretty darn tasty IPA. B+

3915463563_ac79acfb2a.jpg

We began kegging our Prosit today (bottling tomorrow). I brought home a growler. Pretty good - lots of alcohol for a lager. Funny enough they actually took down the avb from a 9% to an 8% and I think they could have gone down another percent. I do like the taste though, and I'm not big on lagers.

3915463563_ac79acfb2a.jpg

We began kegging our Prosit today (bottling tomorrow). I brought home a growler. Pretty good - lots of alcohol for a lager. Funny enough they actually took down the avb from a 9% to an 8% and I think they could have gone down another percent. I do like the taste though, and I'm not big on lagers.

I'm not a big fan of lagers either, but the Prosit is pretty good.

I just tapped a keg of Loose Cannon, (it was filled on July 2nd), and noticed that the ABV listed on the collar around the ring states 7%, (it used to be 7.25%).

No complaints here, as it still tastes as great as ever, but I wonder what the deal is with the lower ABV.

:whoknows:

We'll be at the Beer and Bacon fest in September, hope to see you there!