Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I'm confused, see.

So far, since I've turned 21, I haven't been able to find a beer I like.

Is it an acquired taste or something? Mixed drinks are fine, but damn.. how can you drink something that tastes so damn nasty?

it's an acquired taste. most people start off drinking the lightest stuff they can find because it has the least flavor. i'm not being snobby - beer tastes gross at first. i'm not gonna lie. after a while though, people get used to it, and then after a while they really begin to like it, and then if they become enthusiastic about it, they refine their tastes and seek out richer, higher quality, or more adventuresome brews.

notice the big-business beer commercials are CONSTANTLY talking about how COLD their beer is. the colder it is the less you can taste it. or they tout their "drinkability" or how they're "less filling". all these marketing tactics are crappy american macro-brew euphemisms for "it has no taste" because for some reason the big brewers think people don't want to taste their beer. i don't know ... maybe most don't.

personally i really like the feeling of being almost but not quite drunk. and i also love the taste of a complex and original beer. there is a huge amount of variety to be experienced from belgian tripels to cream stouts and the million variations in between. a beer can be crisp or thick, bitter or spicy, sweet or mean.

my favorites are mostly in the 9% range of alcohol, because that way i only have to drink 2 or 3 to be in that "almost drunk" state i love. :) i'd have to drink 6+ miller lites for the same effect, but then that comes with that gross bloated "gotta pee every five minutes" feeling too.

Edited by greenspandan

Guinness Draught from the tap or in the can. Cold

Guinness is the only beer I've had that is better out of the can than the bottle.

also like Newcastle Brown Ale

Bud American Ale and Dominion Ale are good substitutes if Newcastle cannot be found

Chimay....good beer!

I'm confused, see.

So far, since I've turned 21, I haven't been able to find a beer I like.

Is it an acquired taste or something? Mixed drinks are fine, but damn.. how can you drink something that tastes so damn nasty?

I started drikning probably when I was about 15. I obviously was drinking because it was "cool" and wanted to get drunk. I would drink whatever I could get. At that age, the assistant manager was 21 and use to buy Budweiser all the time. Buds got a light taste and is pretty crisp. So it wasn't too bad. I just got use to it. And of course along the way you try different beers and begin to really start enjoying the taste.

I'm a beer geek. I keep a keg of micro-brew on tap at the house at all time.

I learned to appreciate good beer when my Dad was stationed in Europe, in the late 70's/early 80's. Back then, we primarily drank Becks, Lowenbrau, Peroni & Nastro Azurro, all on draft. When we travelled to Germany, we drank whatever the locals drank, which was usually some no-name beer in brown liter bottles.

That being said, I hate Guiness. I've tried it several times and it continues to disappoint. It's feels very flat on the palate and tastes watered down. If you want to try a stout, go for one that has flavor, like "Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout" or Clipper City's "Peg Leg Stout".

Try a lighter, flavorful beer, like Clipper City Gold Ale, or even Lowenbrau. Your best bet is to try a local brewpub, and ask for small samples.

Good luck!

sooo good.

Normally I will drink Yuengling or Sam Adams. They are decent beers and do not break the bank.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dude, that was what I was talking about. Maybe I just needed to drink more of it and get used to it.

But for the amount I had that might have been the most disgusting drink I've ever had.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dude, that was what I was talking about. Maybe I just needed to drink more of it and get used to it.

But for the amount I had that might have been the most disgusting drink I've ever had.

ols I think it is an acquired taste. I will say that it would have been better with a meal. This isn't a beer that you pound.

ols I think it is an acquired taste. I will say that it would have been better with a meal. This isn't a beer that you pound.

Ahh I see. It certainly has it's own distinct taste.

:D

But yea a buddy of mine is all about it too. I'm still a Miller Lite guy.

Has anyone ever had Landshark?

landshark_lager.jpg

sooo good.

Damn right. Have you ever been to the Dogfish Head bar/grill in Falls Church? They have an excellent selection of Dogfish on tap year-round with lots of seasonals. They also have a sampler there that gives you very generous portions of 6 different beers of your choice. :pint:

Has anyone ever had Landshark?

Yeah I didn't like it. They're always on special at the bars here but I don't ever get them.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Damn right. Have you ever been to the Dogfish Heah bar/grill in Falls Church? They have an excellent selection of Dogfish on tap year-round with lots of seasonals. They also have a sampler there that gives you very generous portions of 6 different beers of your choice. :pint:

Yeah I didn't like it. They're always on special at the bars here but I don't ever get them.

Jeez louise.

I guess I'm the weird one.

:silly:

nah, you're just young, and have a lot of learning to do... :silly:

but seriously, I've never had a Landshark before. I will always try new beers at least once, so I will make it my next one as soon as I find it!

Yea man. Goes down nice and smooth out of the bottle. DELICIOUS when its ice cold.

Damn right. Have you ever been to the Dogfish Head bar/grill in Falls Church? They have an excellent selection of Dogfish on tap year-round with lots of seasonals. They also have a sampler there that gives you very generous portions of 6 different beers of your choice. :pint:

I have not but it sounds like I need to make a trip.