Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bacon Thread

ljs

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, my turkey breast turned out perfectly.  It was moist, the bacon was crispy. I took the bacon off for the last 20 minutes (saved for breakfast), shook some paprika and dried parsley on top of the turkey after first basting it with the broth/drippings in the pan.  I'm saving the broth to make the stuffing with tomorrow.  Very happy I did this.  I can make lots of turkey sandwiches, turkey potpie and other things.  So it's going to be a turkey kind of week here at my homestead.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bikin' on Bacon: Behold the Bacon-Powered Motorcycle

Picture it: you're sitting on the freeway in traffic with the windows open, and the deliciously unmistakeable scent of bacon comes wafting into your car. Traffic is bumper-to-bumper, so you can't even take the nearest exit and hunt for a 24-hour diner to satisfy your increasing desire for some crispy strips. How are you going to release your bacon frustration? Easy — call the 800 number of Hormel, because it's probably their fault.

1408081083-0.jpg

Hormel has manufactured the bike pictured above, which runs on biodiesel fuel derived from bacon grease and emits bacon-scented exhaust fumes. 

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...

The Bacon Boom Was Not an Accident

In the past decade, bacon has grown into an industry generating more than $4 billion in annual sales. It has moved from a breakfast meat to a food trend touching an incredible array of consumer goods, both edible and not, from bacon-heavy fast-food burgers and bacon-infused desserts at fine dining restaurants to bottles of bacon-distilled vodka and even a sexual lubricant formulated to smell (and taste) like bacon. More than cupcakes, ramen, or kale, bacon has become the defining food trend of a society obsessed with food trends.

In terms of economic impact, nothing beats bacon. While most food trends tend to trickle down from the gourmet market into the mouths of mass consumers, that wasn’t the case with bacon. Bacon mania was sparked not in the kitchens of fancy restaurants in New York or Chicago, but in the pork industry’s humble marketing offices in Iowa, where people like Joe Leathers engineered a turnaround for an underappreciated cut of pig.

Bacon has been a staple of the American diet since the first European settlers, but until recently it was consumed in a predictable, seasonal pattern. The bulk of sales came from home consumers, diners, and pancake houses, which fried it up along with eggs for breakfast. “For a long time bacon was sold 80 percent at retail and only 20 percent in food service,” says Leathers, who worked selling and marketing pork to both supermarkets and restaurants over the decades. In summer, sales would spike along with the annual tomato crop—peak season for Cobb salads, BLTs, and club sandwiches. When the tomatoes ran out by October, bacon retreated to the breakfast table till the next summer. The pork belly futures contract was born at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in 1961 as a result of this cycle: Farmers with an excess supply of pork bellies sold them to cold storage warehouses, thus locking in a price long before tomato season hit. Pork belly traders made money speculating on the spread between the price of bellies on those contracts and the price they got when they finally sold the frozen meat to a smokehouse, where it was made into bacon.

All of this changed in the 1980s when powerful health and diet trends transformed the American food industry. Based on evidence that saturated fat and cholesterol were at the core of everything from heart health and obesity to cancer rates, eating lean became the collective mantra, and the food world responded by marketing to fat phobia. Diet sodas became the rage, margarine replaced butter everywhere, and the words “Fat Free” could sell a car. Bacon, which is essentially two-thirds fat, was doomed. “First the fat scare began, and then the nitrate scare,” recalls Leathers. “That was big. That was really the first food scare. I’ll bet you bacon sales fell off 35-40 percent.”

Click on the link for the full article

I've finally come to a point where I am the breakfast bacon master. The trick is, you gotta get the thick cut bacon...doesn't matter if it's the cheap stuff as long as it's thick cut. THEN, you get the bacon press!

11952_285.jpg

Drop that s**t on your bacon in the pan cooking at about 6-7 heat setting. Flip after 3-4 minutes and continue.

Take them beautiful strips out, drop em on some paper towels and they'll be ready to rock.

fyeah.jpg

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/08/15/8-foods-to-grill-wrapped-in-bacon/

acon-Jalapeño-Grilled Shrimp: Top raw, peeled, deveined jumbo shrimp with thin slices of fresh jalapeño chiles and sprigs of cilantro. Wrap each with bacon (cut crosswise into halves or thirds), and secure with a toothpick. Grill over medium-high heat until the bacon is brown and crisp and the shrimp is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes in all, turning once with tongs.

Archived