Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Seperates our Defense from Being Like The Ravens Defense

Chiefinonhaze

Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Scott, Reed... dont forget LL's brother too

Their DL is far superior to ours. If you count Suggs in that group, then the LB comparison is more even. Our secondary is much better than theirs esp at CB. McCallister and Rolle are old and overrated, when not injured.

Previous posts mentioned speed, which I agree with. Ravens D also brings a level of intimidation to the opposing offense that we don't come close to.

Is that one Dominant player such as Ray Lewis. Some may argue Fletcher and maybe a healthy Jason Taylor can be those guys, but that is questionable. Fletcher is a monster, but he isn't completely dominant like Ray Lewis, or 21. 21 was that guy who would be the Ray Lewis of our defense for years to come. Even if Fletcher is that guy that keeps our Defense top tier, he is getting up there in age and so is Jason Taylor.

I see this as a problem a few years down the line, because we will need to find our own dominant player on defense or our Defense will be middle of the pack.

ray lewis, suggs and reed.

the ravens bring pressure with their LB's all day

Rightfully so. They're a 3-4 where we run a 4-3.

Our Dline consists of castoffs(Carter) and players in the twilight of their career( J.Taylor,C.Griffin).

Then to add on top of that the front office's disdain to add youth to the line in the first 3 rounds of the draft and you see every Sunday what kind of pass rush you get out of the front four.

1997: The last time the Skins spent a pick in rounds 1-3 on a Dlineman. Perrenial contenders don't go 11 years without investing one high pick on a Dlineman.

Ok, The Front Office Apologists will be along to defend in 5...4....3...2....1..............

Yeah, the D-Line is the main difference, and you can see this not only in the pressure they apply and the other things that have been posted, but also in the endurance of their defense as a whole.

What happened in the Rams game? Smoot pulled up lame at the end of the game. It's happened quite a bit. The thing is, if we had a better D-Line, our CBs would be less likely to be worn out at the end of the game. The whole defense would be fresher if we had faster plays that were forced by us. We struggle to get pressure, though, and if we try to with extra men and it gets picked up, we unfortunately expose ourselves to getting torched (e.g. Pittsburgh).

We have that problem, in that, when we recognize pressure as our best option to beat a team (again, like in Pittsburgh, and also like with the Giants, because pressured Eli is so mistake prone), we set ourselves up for problems since we lack a D-Line that can always apply pressure.

Maybe JTaylor will help us out in this regard.

The best defenses can shut down other offenses for whole games, not just most of the game. Our defense seems to really struggle late, and it's not just because of prevent. It's also because we often just can't get pressure up front.

Rightfully so. They're a 3-4 where we run a 4-3.

Our Dline consists of castoffs(Carter) and players in the twilight of their career( J.Taylor,C.Griffin).

Then to add on top of that the front office's disdain to add youth to the line in the first 3 rounds of the draft and you see every Sunday what kind of pass rush you get out of the front four.

1997: The last time the Skins spent a pick in rounds 1-3 on a Dlineman. Perrenial contenders don't go 11 years without investing one high pick on a Dlineman.

Ok, The Front Office Apologists will be along to defend in 5...4....3...2....1..............

I like how you try to negate the opinion of anyone who disagrees with you by calling them a "Front Office Apologist" before they say anything.

I like how you try to negate the opinion of anyone who disagrees with you by calling them a "Front Office Apologist" before they say anything.

And I like how the Front Office Apologists defend this team's draft strategy when it completely ignores the Dline in the draft for decades at a time.

There is no defense for that.

Lewis is NOT what makes that defense go. Sure he is still a dominant player, but Haloti Ngata is what makes that defense what it is. No, I don't mean that he is a one man show, but he is a beast and takes so much pressure off of players such as Lewis. Even Lewis has been quoted many times that he is not the same player w/out a dominant DL.

We need the big plays: sacks and turnovers.

that pretty much sums it up... if you take sacks and turnovers away from the ravens... you get the Redskins...

Come on seriously this is the NFL where everyone is big and fast. Yes, hard hits do hurt. BUT the team becomes a "fearful" D when the opposing offense start playing timid cause they are worried about getting sacked or turning the ball at any given time..

A huge, strong, athletic DT and OLB's that are better than average or "good". They got Reed, Lewis, Ngata, and Suggs.

Fletcher is our Lewis. Laron is our Reed. Who is our Suggs? Who is our Ngata?

All our defense is lacking is another good LB and a DT with the capacity to dominate and draw double teams all game.

And I like how the Front Office Apologists defend this team's draft strategy when it completely ignores the Dline in the draft for decades at a time.

There is no defense for that.

Sure there is. Addressing the Dline doesn't have to mean you do so through the draft, nor does it mean you have to do so through rounds 1-3.

And calling Andre Carter a cast off is going too far. He didn't work out at OLB with the 49ers. He became an UFA, and we paid him to come here. Let's not exaggerate things to make a point.

It'd be great if we get a gamebreaker on the Dline, but I could careless where it happens in the draft. I know it's more likely in the earlier rounds, but it's not the end all.

Oh, and btw, our Dline is great at stopping the run. That's saying something. Give credit where credit is due.

Sure there is. Addressing the Dline doesn't have to mean you do so through the draft, nor does it mean you have to do so through rounds 1-3.

And calling Andre Carter a cast off is going too far. He didn't work out at OLB with the 49ers. He became an UFA, and we paid him to come here. Let's not exaggerate things to make a point.

It'd be great if we get a gamebreaker on the Dline, but I could careless where it happens in the draft. I know it's more likely in the earlier rounds, but it's not the end all.

Oh, and btw, our Dline is great at stopping the run. That's saying something. Give credit where credit is due.

Exactly, people fail to realize we have the 4th ranked rush D. We lack pass rush, but Taylor has been hurt all year.

Is that one Dominant player such as Ray Lewis. Some may argue Fletcher and maybe a healthy Jason Taylor can be those guys, but that is questionable. Fletcher is a monster, but he isn't completely dominant like Ray Lewis, or 21. 21 was that guy who would be the Ray Lewis of our defense for years to come. Even if Fletcher is that guy that keeps our Defense top tier, he is getting up there in age and so is Jason Taylor.

I see this as a problem a few years down the line, because we will need to find our own dominant player on defense or our Defense will be middle of the pack.

The answer is so simple: only 2 places. Which is better then being last in the leagure. ;)

Archived